Small lightweight camp gear trailers in US?

DaveM

Explorer
I'm still casting around for a small camp gear trailer and not having much luck. There seems to be hole in the US market for lightweight, enclosed trailers in the $2k and under range. Overseas I'm seeing things like the Aussie Pod trailer, Banderup, Thule Adventure Trailer, Anssems Camping trailers (all AU or UK).

Everything US for camp gear trailers is way too massive and overbuilt for my needs. And certainly too much money. Are there any small boxy gear trailers similar to the ones shown below that you know of in US? This is just to tow around behind a Subaru Outback on forest service roads. Needs to hold some bins and bags, allow for rack bars on top to carry bikes, and be lockable.

full

s-l640.jpg

4be12ed958024e756d47876a385cc032.jpg

DaveM

Explorer

Towed one behind my Diesel Golf all over North America, put ~50k miles on mine and now my dad is using it behind his Grand Caravan because its all bed in the back.. here's my album: https://goo.gl/photos/r5BQYspE1L477cmr7

Forgot to mention Space Trailers. Yeah these are about as close as it comes in the US I think. This would probably be my default if they weren't so wide. I need to get whatever trailer I have down a narrow path between our garage and another outbuilding in order to keep it in back yard (landlords rules). Max width is 66", but even that would mean scraping the sides. SPace Trailers are 67.5", too wide.

Edited to add: that's a nice setup, basically exactly what I want do and how'd I'd use it.

Last edited:

DaveM

Explorer
Build your own get a $400 Tool shop kit.
The “buy it all done” trailers are more $ but we have more varieties of 4x6’s than you can ever want.

I found a couple guys who make nice custom trailer chassis to build off. If I weren't already up to my neck in another boat build I'd consider this. I'll almost certainly be modifying whatever base trailer I get for battery and storage etc, but I just don't have the time for a full on build. I'm ok with spending a little to get a built base trailer in order to not have another project!

dreadlocks

thats gonna be a tough limit, axle widths are pretty standard.. my Golf was >70in wide so it tracked very nicely behind my vehicle..

dreadlocks

not for your budget, and he's not making his own axles so still gonna be limited to what his supplier can get him.. Harbor Freight trailers would fit your width constraints, but thats mostly due to the teensy lil wheels.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Think sideways....

A lot of the small european trailers are designed to be stored vertically; therefore, make a dolly to load it on and slide it down the alley way on its vertical. Then takes up less space in the yard as well...
Northern Tool has had folding trailers that I have seen stored standing on end against a side wall under a roof eve in side yards. Lots of big weather proof bins you can stack on them for secure dry storage when in use.

lots of folding motorcycle trailers out there too that could be rejiggered to haul a big bin yet easily fold up and go in a shed or back patio

DaveM

Explorer
not for your budget, and he's not making his own axles so still gonna be limited to what his supplier can get him.. Harbor Freight trailers would fit your width constraints, but thats mostly due to the teensy lil wheels.

Had a HF boat trailer, will never buy another one again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3