Snorkie mounted up!

Paddy

Adventurer
Whew! Cutting giant holes, and many other holes in fenders on my precious 12' vehicle using a template that was not for my vehicle and did not even match the holes on the snorkel itself was, let's just say, harrowing. But, after much deliberation it's on there and looking good. Now to get some fuel Econ data, as I have read that these things can be good for 0-3 mpg gains, and since I have a hard working 4cyl with 4.88's my hope is that a bit of extra air at hwy speeds will help her out. In any case, I can rest assured that the dust will be kept outside where it belongs.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
GREAT! And good job going with Safari instead of Airflow. Wish I had... Anyway, I've noticed a bit better response in the thin pedal of every rig I have snorkeled. You will never likely gain a return on the $ in increased MPG, but the easier life for the motor and more pleasant driving experience are worth money to me. Then there are the women - I have to peel them off the snorkel whenever I go to a mall or movie and park for more than 5 minutes. Don't know what it is about it, but I like it :D

Paddy

Adventurer
Ha yeah I had it less than 24 hrs and my neighbor commented on my new exhaust routing. He was interested in it however when I told him about potential fuel savings. He has a 4.7L tundra though, not sure if he would benefit or even have one available.

This particular unit is not a safari, but fits similar applications. Since going through the trouble to mount it, and forging ahead without a template or a bailout, I'm actually pondering buying a shipment of these from china and making the mods to it for use on tacoma, including using my laser cnc machine to create an accurate cutting template that will fit the fender on the tacomas. Is there any interest in this? Cost would be much less than current offerings, and since safari doesn't even offer a snorkel for us I don't feel bad sending it off to china.

This particular unit is not a safari, but fits similar applications. Since going through the trouble to mount it, and forging ahead without a template or a bailout, I'm actually pondering buying a shipment of these from china and making the mods to it for use on tacoma, including using my laser cnc machine to create an accurate cutting template that will fit the fender on the tacomas. Is there any interest in this? Cost would be much less than current offerings, and since safari doesn't even offer a snorkel for us I don't feel bad sending it off to china.

I think there is lots of interest in Taco Snorkels. How did you manage to find it and bring it in?

Paddy

Adventurer
I think there is lots of interest in Taco Snorkels. How did you manage to find it and bring it in?

My friend since second grade has a sister who works in china and has lots of connections in the mfg fields over there. They copy just about everything you can imagine. There is a burgeoning 4x4 accessory industry there, which is why we are seeing inexpensive winches and things like that. Only problem is the quantity needed for orders. I would need to sell 20pc

BeratE

Observer
For me, I am considering this on a 2004 Tacoma. Since I have a diesel swap, this would go through the fender right where my airbox would pull. Less bends, better flow. Could you PM me details about where to get one of these?

Paddy

Adventurer
I can also get this same snorkel but reversed for left hand fender mounting if that suits different engine setups.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3