So no chance will ever see the Cross Lander?

OneTime

Adventurer
I know I'm way late on this but, I just heard of it while reading other threads. Would these have been solid trucks? And any chance will ever see somthing similar to it? Man the looked cool! Poor Mans Defender or Series.

Michael Slade

Untitled
I was in-line to be CrossLander's PR and marketing photographer about 3 years ago. It fizzled. I'd say not a chance anytime soon.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
A very good friend of mine, whose dealership was all set to be a CrossLander dealer, says beyond the shadow of a doubt that the concept is dead. Dead, dead, dead.....

Once they dropped the diesel option in favor of the V6 used in Ford Explorer's, a lot of interest in the vehicle faded. Could have been pretty cool though, I agree.

outsidr

Adventurer
I have been an expectant cross lander dealer for 5 years and it is dead. Thanks in large part to the Romanian mafia. It is a shame but now all cross lander dealers will be selling Mahindra diesel pick ups and utes with a hybrid electric option. The equipment Mahindra uses for manufacturing is identical to Toyota and the 38MPG crew cabs will be in the upper 20's to low 30's with a 1/2 tow capacity!

We will have them first quarter of 09. You will be seeing national marketing starting in Fall 08...

http://www.businessweek.com/autos/autobeat/archives/2007/10/mahindras_bold.html

http://www.gv-usa.com/

OneTime

Adventurer
I read about the Cross Lander while reading about he Mahindra. But, Dang that Cross Lander looked cool!!! Oh well. We got the H2 right. LOL All the really cool cars are outside of the States. Unless you like muscle cars.

gary in ohio

Explorer
Anyone know where the magic Mahindra assembly plant in ohio is located? I have not heard anything in state about a new plant. Depending on when they call a 2009 a 2009, one would think they would have a plant in the building stages now if they want to have cars in 9 months.

Skylinerider

Adventurer
38 MPG!!! I don't care how ugly it is. A truck that gets that kind of mileage could definately see its way into my garage. (Unless Jeep makes the JT or gladiator):elkgrin:

Plainsmuse

Adventurer
Only a mother could love

Skylinerider said:
38 MPG!!! I don't care how ugly it is. A truck that gets that kind of mileage could definately see its way into my garage. (Unless Jeep makes the JT or gladiator):elkgrin:
Dude, I'm getting 50mpg, with my Suzuki Carry Turbo. Licensed and titled, she'll get up to 75mph, carry 750lbs, and comes with 4X4, all in right hand drive. (if you can drive a manual, just shift with the left...)
The Japanese still have the market in small, as far as I am concerned. They market what the US wants, and than overseas gives us Jimny and the Jets (sorry Elton) that make the mileage characteristics of a Civic look pale. Sure, it's 3 cylinder 660cc, but hey, it'll out ATV an ATV, and does a fine job against American 8 cylinder blunders. (Yeah, I own a Tundra V8, and no, I am not driving it right now.) India and china are way behind the eight ball coming time to play, and mostly have cheap labor to back their game. Anything they build for sale shouldn't be compared with what Japan already builds. Before you plop out your hard earned money, I would buy a 10 year old Japanese 4X4 over these. And if you're bent on diesel, the UK sells them often enough, though they'll be right hand drive. Importing new isn't all that hard, either.
Well, I sounded off. Not my intention to come off harsh, just what I think. Thanks.

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
Comparing that thing in the picture to the Mahindra is not really possible. Your little truck is like s go-cart compared (yes I have driven many of them) to a standard cab mini-truck. Not to mention they would never be allowed on highways and have zero safety features. They also cost as much as a good used 4x4 (I purchased many of them too). It's cool that you love yours but don't put down the Mahindra until you see the facts. The Mahindra is supposed to be a pretty stout truck from what I've read. If it turns out to be a quality truck, I will be buying one and selling my 4Runner.

Plainsmuse

Adventurer
CA-RJ said:
The Mahindra is supposed to be a pretty stout truck from what I've read. If it turns out to be a quality truck, I will be buying one and selling my 4Runner.
Ok, small. Yes, but likely not to rattle your teeth out of your head, as many have observed from India's vehicle market. Facts are mostly what you read here, where else? So how to sort them out, remains to be seen. As to no safety features, c'mon. This little beut has seat belts, rear view mirrors, all the lights...just because I'm small and space saving, doesn't mean I need another 3 to 4' out in front of the truck to fit an engine. What do you need, side air bags and fluff? If safety was your 2nd concern, why drive in the 1st place? Ok, I like it, and yes, I am sold. I drive on highways, can hold 60 to 65mph over steep hills, can drive down ATV trails, and am street legal, as I have a states license plates, and not just a slow moving sign. The only roads I am held from supposedly are Federal, and I have driven these in states surrounding, never being stopped by local enforcement. The state tags produce reciprocity, and therefore no state can infringe upon anothers states laws. I'm guessing more people should evaluate their driving, and see whether it makes sense to dump $4 every 15 to 20miles when they could be driving up to 50 miles on the same bucks. Sure, not every state in the Union is wise or willing to make such legal on their roads, and to those living in their jurisdictions, consider residing in another state legally, by establishing residence, like RVers and retirees have figured out how to do. Oh well....if you're going to follow the beat of drum, at least like their beat :xxrotflma

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
Yeah, I want air bags. I want something that's been crash tested. I would never put my kids or wife in one of those. We've gotten off topic though.

OneTime

Adventurer
I may have started a thread that gets deleted!!! LOL!! And its not even a Land Rover thread. Back to the topic. The Cross Lander is history right?

haven

Expedition Leader
crosslander

Here's some background on Crosslander and John Perez, the American who purchased the company that makes the Crosslander.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=106327

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=109429

The Crosslander USA deal went down in flames in 2006, with the Romanian government suing Perez. A few months later, Perez emerged as CEO of Global Vehicles USA, the company that plans to sell the Mahindra and Mahindra pickup.

ARO, the Romanian company that makes the Crosslander, still exists, but no plans have been announced to prepare a version that could be exported to USA.

Chip Haven

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3