SOLD 2003 FWC Grandby Truck Camper- Rollover Couch Model w/AC, sink, propane burners - Midland, TX - $9,500

LVTEXAN

This listing is for my 2003 Four Wheel Camper Grandby only. Not selling a tow vehicle with it. I purchased the camper from the original owners in Houston, TX a couple of years ago. Original owners were an older couple who could not use the unit anymore due to health/age reasons. They stored the camper inside their garage the entire time they owned it. I have kept the unit in my garage/shop throughout my ownership. I have the original paperwork for the camper as well as the bill of sale. I will post additional pictures as I am limited to only 10 in the initial post.

I am selling the unit because I recently got married and have a kid. Three people and 2 dogs are little tight in the bed of a truck. So, I will be going the travel trailer route (unfortunately) because the wife and daughter need a bathroom when camping.

About the unit:
This FWC model was made for full size (8' bed) trucks. I have used it with a 6.75' bed 2019 F250 with the tailgate down. My F250 has a tailgate step so I preferred keeping the tailgate on and having the step and a small porch for my boots. Never had an issue accessing the spare tire or with weight distribution as this is an extremely light unit. No leaks or frame issues. All the vinyl siding is in good shape without any signs of color distortion or damage.

This is a roll over couch model. It has a queen bed up top with a new mattress topper and and cover I will leave with unit. The couch folds down into a full size bed. Because of the extra length on a Grandby vs. FWC Hawk, the couch bed easily sleeps an adult as it is over 6' lengthwise. The owner ordered the unit with the AC upgrade. AC works well, but only on shore power/generator. It has a sink with a manual pump faucet (fresh water tank ~12 gallons?) and a two burner propane stove. There are no grey tanks on these FWC. Unit came an ice box (not a fridge). The unit did NOT come with a propane furnace, 12v battery, solar, or fantastic fan from the factory. The owner did make a home-made "thermal package" for the inside siding. I've attached a picture. It works well and installs like the thermal package from the factory. It also has the original "fold up" table.

Upgrades I made:
I mainly used this camper as a ski lodge/weekend trips in the summer. So I did not spend much time upgrading to solar or installing a fridge.

I added a Vevor 2kw diesel heater. See pictures for installation. Due to the shorter height of the cab over on older FWC models, I use foam board to elevate the camper to clear the cab. With the elevation, there is a bunch of room between he side of the bed and the camper undersides. The diesel heater set up clears without any issues when loading and unloading. If you are concerned about clearance on your vehicle, It is completely removable. No holes drilled through the camper walls, just small screws that can be removed and filled with silicone. the diesel tank for the heater is stored where the propane tank would go. I just use coleman bottles for propane anyway, so this set up give me extra exterior storage for the grey water hose, extra kerosene/diesel, etc. The vent for the heater just comes through the port used for the turnbuckles on the rear drivers side of the bed. Set up may not be the prettiest install, but it works. I've been happy with the heater. Kept me warm many nights through the ski season and it dries off wet boots and jackets like a charm. Warm ski boots in the morning makes the day way better. I have the original horizontal propane tank. It just needs to be recertified prior to use.

I installed a 100AH Li battery. I added a Victron smart shunt battery controller to get accurate battery information. I also added a Victron DC/DC charger to charge the Li battery correctly from the alternator of my truck. Both Victron products have Bluetooth connectivity through the Victron app; so you can watch the charger and battery levels while driving down the road. I also added a 12v charging port by the bed with a cigarette lighter and 2 usb ports. Since the battery is only used for lights, charging electronics, and running the diesel heater, I have had no issues going multiple days on a single charge. Adding a solar charger would be easy on this 12v system. Only headache would be installing the panels and wiring through the roof or vent.

The original ice box was lacking compared to modern yeti coolers. So, I removed the ice box for more food/misc. storage. I still have the ice box to include in the sale if you want to reinstall it. There is enough room to mount a 12v fridge on a slide in that space as well. I've just never needed it as the yeti cooler is more than adequate for a long weekend trip.

Jacks function well and are removable. They are included in the sale.

I made a camper dolly for moving the unit in and out of the garage for loading. It is over engineered and rolls on large tires instead of small caster wheels. Makes it easy to roll over older driveways and rocks. I will include it in the sale price if you want it.

I have new, galvanized steel hardware for mounting the camper to the bed. I ended up using the original owner's mounting hardware. Some if it was pretty rusty. I never got around to changing the eye bolts out for new ones. So, I can include new hardware in the sale price. I can help with the install of hardware as well if you have questions or want to do it when picking up the camper. Its an hour job or so. Nothing too difficult.

I used foam insulation boards for raising the camper to clear the cab. If you have a newer (2010ish) truck, you will likely need to raise the camper in the bed to clear the cab as well. These boards have worked flawlessly for me. They are included in the sale.

The bad:
The original AC/DC converter broke. I do not know if it worked prior to purchasing the unit from the original owners as they did not have a 12v battery in the camper. When plugged in on shore power, all the 110v outlets work and the AC functions properly. But the 12v outlets and lights all run off the battery. Apparently this is common for these old AC/DC converters and the OEM manufacturer is long out of business. I simply use a NOCO battery charger when plugged into shore power to charge the battery if needed. I will include it with the unit. It works well and correctly charges Li batteries.

Some paint chipping/pin stripping from use. Nothing bad. This is a 20 year old unit.

Overall, this a great camper with lots of life left in it. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of a new 40k+ FWC, but its a tiny fraction of the price of a new unit. The camper is ready for use without any leaks or structural issues. It is perfect for weekend excursions as is. A couple grand and some DIY, and you can upgrade the electrical for a fridge and solar for well under 15k. I can do full facetime/zoom/teams walkthroughs if you reach out. I would love to see this camper continue its adventures out on the trails!

FWC1.jpg
FWC2.jpg
FWC3.jpg

LVTEXAN

AC Unit and DIY Thermal Pack for inside vinyl

Attachments

• ACunit.jpg
    ACunit.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 60
  • insulation.jpg
    insulation.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 62

LVTEXAN

Diesel heater set up

Attachments

• dieselheater.jpg
    dieselheater.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 71
  • dieselheatercontrol.jpg
    dieselheatercontrol.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 78
  • LPGstorage.jpg
    LPGstorage.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 77

LVTEXAN

Additional pictures

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 77
  • rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 74
  • rearstorage.jpg
    rearstorage.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 81
  • stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 76
  • table.jpg
    table.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 74
  • undersink.jpg
    undersink.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 70

Larry Disch

Do you know the dry weight of this Granby? It would fit my truck bed with the gate down but am concerned about the weight? Looks well cared for.

LVTEXAN

Do you know the dry weight of this Granby? It would fit my truck bed with the gate down but am concerned about the weight? Looks well cared for.
Its listed in the owners manual and I'll take a picture when I get home. I believe it was only around 900lbs dry. Its pretty light.

LVTEXAN

Attachments

• MicrosoftTeams-image (7).jpg
    MicrosoftTeams-image (7).jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 64
  • MicrosoftTeams-image (6).jpg
    MicrosoftTeams-image (6).jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 69

IceBiker

This listing is for my 2003 Four Wheel Camper Grandby only. Not selling a tow vehicle with it. I purchased the camper from the original owners in Houston, TX a couple of years ago. Original owners were an older couple who could not use the unit anymore due to health/age reasons. They stored the camper inside their garage the entire time they owned it. I have kept the unit in my garage/shop throughout my ownership. I have the original paperwork for the camper as well as the bill of sale. I will post additional pictures as I am limited to only 10 in the initial post.

I am selling the unit because I recently got married and have a kid. Three people and 2 dogs are little tight in the bed of a truck. So, I will be going the travel trailer route (unfortunately) because the wife and daughter need a bathroom when camping.

About the unit:
This FWC model was made for full size (8' bed) trucks. I have used it with a 6.75' bed 2019 F250 with the tailgate down. My F250 has a tailgate step so I preferred keeping the tailgate on and having the step and a small porch for my boots. Never had an issue accessing the spare tire or with weight distribution as this is an extremely light unit. No leaks or frame issues. All the vinyl siding is in good shape without any signs of color distortion or damage.

This is a roll over couch model. It has a queen bed up top with a new mattress topper and and cover I will leave with unit. The couch folds down into a full size bed. Because of the extra length on a Grandby vs. FWC Hawk, the couch bed easily sleeps an adult as it is over 6' lengthwise. The owner ordered the unit with the AC upgrade. AC works well, but only on shore power/generator. It has a sink with a manual pump faucet (fresh water tank ~12 gallons?) and a two burner propane stove. There are no grey tanks on these FWC. Unit came an ice box (not a fridge). The unit did NOT come with a propane furnace, 12v battery, solar, or fantastic fan from the factory. The owner did make a home-made "thermal package" for the inside siding. I've attached a picture. It works well and installs like the thermal package from the factory. It also has the original "fold up" table.

Upgrades I made:
I mainly used this camper as a ski lodge/weekend trips in the summer. So I did not spend much time upgrading to solar or installing a fridge.

I added a Vevor 2kw diesel heater. See pictures for installation. Due to the shorter height of the cab over on older FWC models, I use foam board to elevate the camper to clear the cab. With the elevation, there is a bunch of room between he side of the bed and the camper undersides. The diesel heater set up clears without any issues when loading and unloading. If you are concerned about clearance on your vehicle, It is completely removable. No holes drilled through the camper walls, just small screws that can be removed and filled with silicone. the diesel tank for the heater is stored where the propane tank would go. I just use coleman bottles for propane anyway, so this set up give me extra exterior storage for the grey water hose, extra kerosene/diesel, etc. The vent for the heater just comes through the port used for the turnbuckles on the rear drivers side of the bed. Set up may not be the prettiest install, but it works. I've been happy with the heater. Kept me warm many nights through the ski season and it dries off wet boots and jackets like a charm. Warm ski boots in the morning makes the day way better. I have the original horizontal propane tank. It just needs to be recertified prior to use.

I installed a 100AH Li battery. I added a Victron smart shunt battery controller to get accurate battery information. I also added a Victron DC/DC charger to charge the Li battery correctly from the alternator of my truck. Both Victron products have Bluetooth connectivity through the Victron app; so you can watch the charger and battery levels while driving down the road. I also added a 12v charging port by the bed with a cigarette lighter and 2 usb ports. Since the battery is only used for lights, charging electronics, and running the diesel heater, I have had no issues going multiple days on a single charge. Adding a solar charger would be easy on this 12v system. Only headache would be installing the panels and wiring through the roof or vent.

The original ice box was lacking compared to modern yeti coolers. So, I removed the ice box for more food/misc. storage. I still have the ice box to include in the sale if you want to reinstall it. There is enough room to mount a 12v fridge on a slide in that space as well. I've just never needed it as the yeti cooler is more than adequate for a long weekend trip.

Jacks function well and are removable. They are included in the sale.

I made a camper dolly for moving the unit in and out of the garage for loading. It is over engineered and rolls on large tires instead of small caster wheels. Makes it easy to roll over older driveways and rocks. I will include it in the sale price if you want it.

I have new, galvanized steel hardware for mounting the camper to the bed. I ended up using the original owner's mounting hardware. Some if it was pretty rusty. I never got around to changing the eye bolts out for new ones. So, I can include new hardware in the sale price. I can help with the install of hardware as well if you have questions or want to do it when picking up the camper. Its an hour job or so. Nothing too difficult.

I used foam insulation boards for raising the camper to clear the cab. If you have a newer (2010ish) truck, you will likely need to raise the camper in the bed to clear the cab as well. These boards have worked flawlessly for me. They are included in the sale.

The bad:
The original AC/DC converter broke. I do not know if it worked prior to purchasing the unit from the original owners as they did not have a 12v battery in the camper. When plugged in on shore power, all the 110v outlets work and the AC functions properly. But the 12v outlets and lights all run off the battery. Apparently this is common for these old AC/DC converters and the OEM manufacturer is long out of business. I simply use a NOCO battery charger when plugged into shore power to charge the battery if needed. I will include it with the unit. It works well and correctly charges Li batteries.

Some paint chipping/pin stripping from use. Nothing bad. This is a 20 year old unit.

Overall, this a great camper with lots of life left in it. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of a new 40k+ FWC, but its a tiny fraction of the price of a new unit. The camper is ready for use without any leaks or structural issues. It is perfect for weekend excursions as is. A couple grand and some DIY, and you can upgrade the electrical for a fridge and solar for well under 15k. I can do full facetime/zoom/teams walkthroughs if you reach out. I would love to see this camper continue its adventures out on the trails!

View attachment 775225View attachment 775226View attachment 775227
Good Day,

Do you still have this? If so, very keen. Have an F250 w/ 8' bed. Comments on fit? Did you have to do any suspension upgrades to accommodate the weight? Water damage? Glass single or double pane?

Tu amigo, Powder Slayer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp