Starting my 1949 willys wagon expo build

njtaco

Explorer
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear. ~Ambrose Redmoon

And that, sir, is a huge project to take on. Especially with a wife. And a 3 year old.

Looking forward to your progress... Could you please post up what your plans are for her when you get a chance? I mean, besides paint.:sombrero:

ETA: It looks like you are in the service...still active? Thank you for serving.

tag187

Observer
While it is a big project its not really that bad seeing as how most everything aside from the body will be upgraded or taken from other vehicles (it helps my wife loves doing this as much as myself). As far as the body its just gonna be rust removal and new patch panels most of the tiny/small dent (there are very few) will be left. Paint is prob. just gonna be primer and rustoleum hunter green. Frame is off a 88 s10, rear axle is gonna be 3rd generation isuzu 12 bolt with a ARB, front axle dana 30 I striped from a cherokee also locked up with an ARB, gonna throw on a 4" long arm kit from an XJ for suspension. The motor is a XJ 4.0 stroker I have had sitting for a bit which is now a 4.7 and will be backed by a AX15/N.P. 231 combo. I gotta get back to work but will write more about the interior and what not later. Thanks for reading

tag187

Observer
Like I said while yeah its alot of work its not that bad (I like to think of it as more fun than work). As far as time line we are shooting to have it done before next June, as for the budget, ehhhh whatever it cost, it cost. I am not to focused on that part I have many of the big parts already and aside from that its sheet metal and wires and nuts and bolts. So we will just have to see what it cost, I tell you what I will keep tabs and let you guys know how much I have in it here and there.

tag187

Observer
Well over the past few days I have gutted out what was left of the interior and striped it of anything that was bolted down. I also began striping and rust removal I am using a acid based gel product called Fast Etch and phosphoric acid to strip the body and parts. So far so good just lots of sanding and more sanding AND even more ..... sanding. Ughhhh did I mention I hate sanding, lol but in the end it will be worth it:drool:

tag187

Observer
Ok guys been spendingthe past few weeks doing parts and rust removal, which has been going good. This morning a guy came by my house wanting to trade me my 1988 7.3l diesel F250 for 2 wagoneers, a 1979 and a 1985. I told him yes. The 85 is in bad shape but the frame and axles will be of great use for my willys :wings:. So I will be picking them up one by one over the next couple weeks and will post pics as soon as I have them. Oh and as for the 1979 after some small fix it ups to bring it back to running shape, it will replace my 2000 superduty as my daily driver.

fowldarr

Explorer
I had a 59 Willy's Wagon, it had the original hurricane straight 6, and it would go anywhere, not quickly but it would go. First truck i ever painted, Ford Tractor Blue from the farm and ranch store. I would love to have it back.

I did know a guy that put oe on a Blazer chassis, said it fit pretty well with some minor modification, Frame, engine, running gear was all Chev Blazer....something to think about.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Axle width-wise the Wagoneers are likely to be a better match. The full size axles put the front tire well outside the fenders of an early Willys truck or wagon.

1949 Willys Wagon treadwidth: 57"/57"
1979 Jeep Wagoneer treadwidth: 59.4"/57.8"
1979 Jeep Cherokee Chief treadwidth: 65.4"/62.3"
1979 GM Blazer treadwidth: 65.75"/62.75"

(Std. Catalog of 4X4's 1945-1993, Ackerson)

I would give some thought to using the 79's frame too. The early Willys frames are marginal for modern power and axles.

tag187

Observer
At first I was going to use a s10 blazer or s10/15 pick up frame they are a good match for the willys size but then this fell into my lap and not being one to pass up good offers I will be going this route. I will need to trim the frame a little but not by much as I do not like swaps where the frame hangs out WAY farther than the body goes. Aside from that they match up well and will give the willys a nice slightly wider stance, without looking goofy. As for the axles I will be using the 1985s axle wich are good and for power I have a Jeep 4.7l inline 6 stroker that will be going into it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk