Steering problem 99 TJ

fetus

Observer
Maybe someone can help me troubleshoot my problem.

My steering has been sticking (can't turn at all) when making right turns. It will stick then release, only on right turns. And it only happens occasionally, not every right turn. Left turns are ok.

Power steering fluid level looks good but could probably be changed. No problems with left turns. I haven't tried jacking up the front end yet and steering it to see if anything is catching.

It's a 99 TJ with a 4" lift and 33" tires. Stock steering stabilizer.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Geronimo

Observer
Check your stabilizer close, had one with a slight bend in it do just what you are describing. If that is not it I have some other ideas but check the easiest first.

toyrunner95

Explorer
All that points to a problem with one thing.... its a jeep. (not to rub it in) They are a bit on the high maintenance side. If you heven't kept up with it; it could go bad in 10 years.

fetus

Observer
toyrunner95 said:
All that points to a problem with one thing.... its a jeep. (not to rub it in) They are a bit on the high maintenance side. If you heven't kept up with it; it could go bad in 10 years.

I hear ya. I have a OR Xterra, too. It has its own quirks.

fetus

Observer
mrchips said:
Also ck the front U joints, as a binding problem with the u-joint could cause a problem.

What would bind in the U-Joints? I was looking at them a couple weeks ago and noticed some type of fluid leakage on the left inside of the tire. Wasn't sure if it was grease/oil being washed onto the tire from the rain.

jagular7

Adventurer
Lift the front axle off the ground. Rotate a tire by hand and turn the steering wheel back and forth. You won't need the engine running, but will need to have the key in the run position to unlock the column. Look and listen for grinding noises. Then go to the other tire and do the same thing.

Could be a couple of items all relating to the tire to the vehicle since the tire rotates on the ground. Check for looseness or bad wheel unit bearing. Check for binding steering joints (axle u-joints). Check for caliper sticking. Check for ball joint looseness.
If you can't find it, push/pull on the tire with a pry bar. Something will give and move.

If you can't make it happen this way, get someone to drive your Jeep in a tight circle slowly and you look/listen for the problem area.

Cindy Worley

Try any garage for it...or there are many helpline no. For on the spot repairing of trucks and cars...I can suggest you to Go through it...It will be the better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven