Subcompact crossover sales

haven

Expedition Leader
OK, I admit it: I like cheap, small cars. So I've been more interested than most ExPo members by the rise of the subcompact crossover.

The subcompact crossover is an up-and-coming class of vehicle. My definition for the class is having a wheelbase of 100 to 104 inches, and overall length of 160 to 170 inches. Generally speaking, these vehicles are more fuel efficient and less costly than the popular midsize crossovers like Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4 and Nissan Rogue.

Here's a look at sales numbers from April 2015. In order of units sold:
Kia Soul...11,418 units sold
Buick Encore...5587
Jeep Renegade...4214
Chevrolet Trax...3451
Nissan Juke...2433
Fiat 500L...1258
Mini Cooper Countryman...1244

Subcompact models that will enter the marketplace shortly include the Honda HR-V (a larger version of the Fit), the Fiat 500X (chassis similar to the Renegade), and the Mazda CX-3 (based on the Mazda 2 chassis). Kia has shown an AWD Soul that uses an electric motor to drive the rear wheels.

So Jeep Renegade is in third place. Not bad for its first month on the market. All the models listed above, with the exception of the Kia Soul, offer AWD as an option. But sales of AWD are not reported.

The Subaru Crosstrek is a couple of inches longer than my limit for this class. It sells in the same price range as the vehicles listed above. In the case of the Crosstrek, all units sold have AWD. The Crosstrek posted sales of 6936 units in April, putting it ahead of all but the Kia Soul.

One new model that's even shorter than this class is the two door Jeep Wrangler. I can't find sales figures that separate the two door and four door Wranglers. It's likely that the two door Wrangler sells almost as many units as the Soul.

ripperj

Explorer
What are you going to do with it? My wife a Highlander with low miles. I was thinking about throwing a RTT and using for some VT and NH back roads/woods stuff.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk 2

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
ANother huge fan of tiny vehicles here. My dream...a VW Golf Country with a 1.9 TDi motor. I've spent months, years?, definitely lately, drooling over small cars I see while driving around town. Can't afford new so my lust has been aimed at older cars mostly. Had been on the hunt for an older Camry Alltrac (not within your specs probably but still pretty small). Miss my '99 CR-V- had a great AWD system, good mpg's, and comfortable and powerful enough for me on the highways.

I've also been thinking about selling my truck and picking up a 2nd gen. Rav4. Drove one years ago (ended up with the CR-V) and loved the interior and handling, but they were out of my price range then. Still might try to get one in the next year if I can find a low mileage, manual trans. model.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
OK, I admit it: I like cheap, small cars. So I've been more interested than most ExPo members by the rise of the subcompact crossover.

The subcompact crossover is an up-and-coming class of vehicle. My definition for the class is having a wheelbase of 100 to 104 inches, and overall length of 160 to 170 inches. Generally speaking, these vehicles are more fuel efficient and less costly than the popular midsize crossovers like Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4 and Nissan Rogue.

Buick Encore...5587
Jeep Renegade...4214
Chevrolet Trax...3451
Nissan Juke...2433
Fiat 500L...1258

Subcompact models that will enter the marketplace shortly include the Honda HR-V (a larger version of the Fit), the Fiat 500X (chassis similar to the Renegade), and the Mazda CX-3 (based on the Mazda 2 chassis). Kia has shown an AWD Soul that uses an electric motor to drive the rear wheels.

So Jeep Renegade is in third place. Not bad for its first month on the market. All the models listed above, with the exception of the Kia Soul, offer AWD as an option. But sales of AWD are not reported.

The Subaru Crosstrek is a couple of inches longer than my limit for this class. It sells in the same price range as the vehicles listed above. In the case of the Crosstrek, all units sold have AWD. The Crosstrek posted sales of 6936 units in April, putting it ahead of all but the Kia Soul.

One new model that's even shorter than this class is the two door Jeep Wrangler. I can't find sales figures that separate the two door and four door Wranglers. It's likely that the two door Wrangler sells almost as many units as the Soul.

Outlander Sport?

haven

Expedition Leader
Thanks for suggesting the Outlander Sport. Its wheelbase is a little outside my parameters, but overall length is under 170 inches. So I'll include it next time. Looks like Mitsubishi sold 2600 Outlander Sports in April.
http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2014/0...ates-ranked-april-2014-ytd-sales-figures.html

Maybe the best reason to include the Outlander Sport are the rumors that Mitsubishi will develop an Evolution version. OS Evo, just in time for the next Fast and Furious movie!
http://blog.caranddriver.com/evo-gr...shi-evo-may-be-based-on-next-outlander-sport/

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
I'm a little bit biased but the company that started subcompact crossovers is gone and even THAT company isn't making real subcompact crossovers anymore. I don't see these as crossovers, they're basically hatchbacks with AWD. Besides the renegade, none of them have any off-road potential, and definitely none of them have that "overbuilt" feeling to them.

I'm saying I'm biased because I drive Suzuki SX4 AWD which in my opinion is a real crossover. If I put any of these vehicles through what I put my SX4 through they'd be in pieces. It's a market that I think really has potential, but what's been put out in the last 4-5 years has just been crap in my opinion. But even if Suzuki stayed here I still wouldn't be interested what they're making. They're also changing to the 'barely tough enough for dirt roads' vehicles. The new S-cross is a major step down from the SX4. And they're dropping the jimny, and already dropped the grand vitara. It's a sad time for crossovers...

But then again, there are very few vehicles coming out right now that have sparked my interest.

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
10985339_10152698934991986_6837487154395674896_n_zps3jrapdqp.jpg

I just got out of a week with the Renegade Sport (2.4, 4x4). I was very impressed. Took it around the Northwest, up by Mt. Rainier, up to Yakima, etc. It had the My Top, which was pretty fun. Review coming soon. I think I can say that I'd buy one of these, however, I'd likely opt for the 1.4-t and the manual.

Previous to that, I was in the nacho-cheese-yellow Limited Edition Crosstrek (which I've been in multiple times before), and also really dig that vehicle. However, I do wish it had a bit more oomph. If our WRX blew up tomorrow, I'd still consider one, but that Renegade is pretty cool.

I also was in the Trax not too long ago, and I liked it. It's not quite as cool or modern as the Renegade, but I dug it. Ours was the FWD version. It's probably better suited to full-time on-road duty, however, as it's quite low.
http://www.subcompactculture.com/2015/04/review-2015-chevrolet-trax-ltz-fwd.html

Not to sound like a shill, but do check out my blog site, Subcompact Culture, if you haven't. (see signature). I, too, am very interested in the smallest of small crossovers. I'm looking forward to driving the HR-V when it comes out.

Andy

Kmrtnsn

Explorer

Buick Encore...5587
Jeep Renegade...4214
Chevrolet Trax...3451
Nissan Juke...2433
Fiat 500L...1258

Interesting. You all but admit that Subaru invented the class, then omit it by size, then admit that the smallest Subaru outsells all of your other examples. What is it that they say about imitation?

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
Interesting. You all but admit that Subaru invented the class, then omit it by size, then admit that the smallest Subaru outsells all of your other examples. What is it that they say about imitation?

I'm with haven. I'd also exclude the XV Crosstrek from the subcompact crossover market. It's more a a C-segment (compact) versus a B-segment (subcompact) vehicle. Don't get me wrong, I love the Crosstrek, but it's bigger than the models listed above.

For what it's worth, Subaru sold 6,936 XV Crosstreks in April bringing the year-to-date total to 27,017.

And for anyone interested in last month's sales, here are April 2015's subcompact car sales:

http://www.subcompactculture.com/2015/05/april-2015-subcompact-car-sales.html

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
4200 Jeep Renegades sold in March? Guess it could be pre-orders and pent-up demand though... still pretty impressive. Seems like it should fit in as a "B" segment crossover - No?

101.2" wheelbase and 166.7" overall length.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
The renegade definitely isn't as physically small as it seems in photos. I knew the wheelbase and dimensions going in, but seeing one for the first time on a dealer lot I wasn't expecting it to be so large. That being said, it just LOOKS large, as the interior is quite small but pretty well thought out. I lean to liking the more simple interiors and the renegade is a little busy for me, but I liked it overall.

We just purchased a Grand Vitara for my girlfriend, but the renegade was top of our list for her DD duties.

I know the crosstrek is sought after on this forum, but for me it was just 'meh'. Wasn't really impressed by anything inside or outside. Looks are kinda fugly, interior is a bit dated and boring, and the drivetrain is definitely a snooze fest. Astonishingly, the best part about the car was the CVT.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I find it interesting you bought a Vitara but think the XV interior is bland. Not defending the XV at all #1 complaint for the Impreza and XV is the interior which is why Subaru is said to be getting more serious about the Impreza/XV interiors in the 2016's.

Any of the AWD car based rigs Smaller than the little XV are solo light tent camping rigs far to small for road trips with two+ people and basic gear. These are primarily city SUVs/hatch backs. Which case the VW Golf 4dr Hatch, Mazda Hatch offer a value that should not be ignored, not to mention are superior in passenger safety than a Vitara.

I've done lots of solo trips in every thing from a motorcycle, SLK 350, 4runner, LandCruiser J80, Sequoia, Subaru Legacy, Subaru OB current version, to our old 2001 Jetta about the size of todays Golf. I also have done lots of two up trips, and 4 up trips wife and my 2 kids. The smallest trip machine thats comfortable and load capacity capable to haul kids, parents + gear is the current OB. Motherinlaw just got a XVhybrid Touring, nice car perfect size for her, but way too small for a family of 4. It would be maxed out in our two up Tratholon gear mode, but would work. One up the XV would be a nice size. One up you could go smaller which sounds like your short list.

Which case why not the out going Mercedes GLK? Used they easily fall in this cheap new car price range, quality far surpases all of them on your list, interior is superior materials, its rated at 3500lbs us towing capacity, has the proven 7spd awd and has a proven v6 or the industrial grade diesel if you want to be different. Size wise its small which is why its getting a ground up redo and renaming for 2016.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach