Suggestion for wheels on 2005 Ford F-250

HuskerTrev

Observer
Hello All.

I acquired a F-250 18 months ago. Sold off my Isuzu Trooper that was 99% done to get something with more room for my family to explore in. We aren't into hardcore trails or rock climbing, more like dirt and minimum maintenance roads. The previous owner swapped out the stock 18" rims for some blingtastic 20" chrome monsters. If the truck was going to stay on pavement they would be fine, but this is going to be our family adventure rig (and my daily driver).

I want to swap to a different wheel/tire combo soon. I have contemplated the H1 wheel swap, but am concerned about the vibration problems that I have read about (Bella PSD's to be specific). I have also looked at the Rock Monster rims and it is hard to swallow $400 a wheel. I like the idea of the field serviceable rim and tire, but would rather be able to afford wheels and tires at this point.

Currently my truck has 275/65 20s on it, which equates to a 34" tall tire. I would like to go to 35" tall tires, but am unsure as to what rim size I should look for. I would really appreciate some input from the other members here as to what rim size, material (steel/alloy) and if a particular brand comes to mind.

Thanks in advance!
Trevor

You should be able to fit 17" rims and if you can tires will be cheaper and have more options. But if you do go 18 you can go 285-75-18 (35-12.5-18).

HuskerTrev

Observer
You should be able to fit 17" rims and if you can tires will be cheaper and have more options. But if you do go 18 you can go 285-75-18 (35-12.5-18).

I was thinking that I should go with 17" rims after pricing out tires. There is a pretty big price difference between 17" and 18" tires. Any suggestions on steel or alloy wheels?

leelikesbikes

Adventurer
i agree with 17", i run 37" stmaxx on a 17" wheel, the dubs might have less sidewall roll, but i much prefer the ride quality from the extra sidewall a 17" wheel affords. i just run stock steels cause im cheap and i prefer "go" to "show"

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Just get some OEM 17's or even 18's from a junkyard/craigslist. You could probably get a full set of 5 for $200 and you will have much higher quality wheels than any junk aftermarket. Run 285/75R17 or R18... 34/35x11" wide. Toyo makes this size

HuskerTrev

Observer
I am still contemplating the Humvee wheel swap. I am well versed in welding and metal work (am a body man by trade) and think that I could handle recentering the wheels. I have heard good and bad things about these wheels. Unsure what to do at this point. Has anyone here recentered their own wheels? Should this be something that I should let a machine shop handle? I am a structurally qualified welder and have put many many cars back together over the last fifteen years of my career (although I ride a manager chair and desk now, I still get in the shop and work with my entry level techs quite often).

Huffy

Observer
Ford Factory wheels, 16, 17 or 18 in alloy or steel will be very hard to beat. They are inexpensive, straight ,true, strong and last a long time!

Sooper Camper

Adventurer
Recentered Hummer wheels will not work. Your truck has a hub-centric 8x170mm bolt pattern, the Hummer wheels are 8x6.5" SAE standard and lug centric. Unless you plan on going down below 10 psi and doing donuts, I wouldn't worry about bead locks. The benefits are far outweighed by the negatives for something that will see mostly long distance miles (huge weight and fuel mileage penalty, constantly checking 100+ bolts for proper torque, slow leak downs etc). I sell bead locks all the time, but wouldn't personally run them (resetting a bead isn't hard with on board air or lighter fluid). I know many people who have tried to recenter their wheels, but in the long run its not worth it IMO. Getting the run-out perfect (lets face it, do you really want your nice Super Duty riding on wheels with even the slightest wobble?) is a lot harder than it sounds without a proper fixture. Fine for a trail rig, sure, but I wouldn't bother for something that could be driven every day. Bead locks are also not technically DOT legal, so you are skirting a grey area there. It is also worth noting that 16.5" is a "dead" size. You are going to have a hard time finding replacements (assuming the wheels even fit over your giant brakes), and unless you plan on buying stock in 37" Military take off tires, your tire options are limited. 17 and 18 are the new standards, and there really isn't anything wrong with that IMO, build around current standards...not obsolete ones.

Your best best is to find some 17" or 18" wheels from a Super Duty owner who swapped them out for bling (who knows, you might get lucky and find a guy who wants to do a straight swap for your 20s?). Most aftermarket wheels are made overseas as cheaply as possible, most OE wheels for HD trucks are usually made by Alcoa and FAR stronger than what you will find in the aftermarket unless you pony up for Alcoa, Weld etc. The nice part about used Super Duty wheels is that they are dirt cheap since they are only usable to guys with Super Duty's, and most people don't generally swap in the direction you are thinking so the wheels are half the price of what you'd normally see nice OE GM or Dodge takeoffs going for.

HuskerTrev

Observer
I really appreciate the information guys! This is the type of information that you can only get here. Thanks so much! I think the correct direction would be to find some 17 or 18 inch rims and proceed from there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98dango

Expedition Leader
You can run hummer wheels on your super duty I have 2 sets. That said I run stock wheels and 35s now because it fits my use better. I would go with the 17 or18 and be done there getting easy to find and look good to

HuskerTrev

Observer
Thought I should give an update on my wheels. I haven't been able to locate a decent set of 17 or 18 SuperDuty rims yet. I was in desperate need of tires since the street tires the truck came with were done for (on a side note: there were the worst wearing Michelin tires I have ever seen!), so I started checking in what kind of deals I could get on 20" tires. Since I work for a GM dealer I was able to get their pricing on a set of Gopdyear Wrangler Duratracs for a ridiculously cheap price. Had the lube kids mount and balance then yesterday in anticipation of today's snowstorm. After driving in this morning I couldn't be happier with my choice. While cars were sliding off the road left and right around me, it was like my big ole truck was running on dry pavement. Here are a couple of pics:
2d5881c24535baed9ee258050c8ed05d.jpg

6b1905101ef261dfd90cebcad69fe3b0.jpg

869dae9b9c9487ad63a7710f665d6337.jpg

BrandX

Adventurer
i just put some wheels on from trail worthy fab. the are 37x12.5x16.5 double bead locks. they are on a 2008 f250. they fit with no lift and only timing the plastic inner wheel well liner. i only had them on a few days but so fares good. got to go to work now but will post pics this after noon.

gohuge

Observer
Nice Trev, they look great. Could you post an update after you run them for a few months?
Lots of sniping on those, just what I need.

HuskerTrev

Observer
So far they have been great! I will gladly post up a review on the tires as I get to break them in over the course of the next few months and hopefully adventurous miles!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven