Suzuki Carry 'Expedition' ATV/Mini truck

Plainsmuse

Adventurer
Hello all. After many years of just reading about your adventures, I decided to join. My cute ute and wife are in the process of building up this ATV/Mini Truck for our expedition efforts. We have between 750 to 1000 lbs maximum weight for this truck, and are thinking about a hand built pu camper. The state I live in lets me drive this on the roads, though they say stay off the interstates. Their reasoning is that most don't go over 50mph, and EPA and the ATV lobby decided that these vehicles needed restricter plates to keep them from going over 25mph. Go figure. This one, with the help of a turbo, goes up to 75mph, and will get around 38mpg, 50mpg if I keep it around 50mph. 4X4, and I am considering a 2" to 3" lift kit, with larger off road tires. Although right hand drive, it's been a blast to drive, and I get stopped by all kinds of folks wanting to know more about it. Any way, I can drive it down ATV trails, get back on the open road, and drive it home, without having to trailer it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and considered. I'll try and keep a regular update on the vehicle as the process goes...thanks. :imagesCADZQMBJ:

Plainsmuse

Adventurer
Suzuki ought to drop Frontier and develop X-Head

I read earlier and saw that Suzuki is thinking about offering the Frontier. I think they ought to have their heads examined. They have the great concept tonka truck, called the X-head. I would buy that in short order it they ever do manufacture it. The poor interpreting of their marketing indicates they are looking at 3 models, from one that just looks tonka-ish driving, one that's supposed to have a demountable camper, and then one for emergency rescue, firefighters and such. Absolutely love the thing, though if I were going to go off road with any seriousness, I would have to say Unimog/Pinzgauer would have to re-enter the equation.
Hope the link doesn't offend: http://www.autoblog.com/photos/suzuki-x-head-concept/424846/
Thanks for letting me sound off....

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
Plainsmuse; Welcome to Expo!

I am very interested in following your build. Where I live, British Columbia, there are a lot of Carries and similar vehicles available at reasonable prices (however there are no restrictions on where you can drive them). If your payload is only 750-1000 lbs you really are not going to be able to carry any type of camper. I would think a roof top tent would be about the limit.

You say you can drive the carry on ATV trails? I can see that you would be ok width wise, but would not think that you would have enough ground clearance??
BTW does yours have the factory diff lock? Also, I have always wondered how you access the motor, does the cab tilt or what? I would love to see a pick of the access to the motor.

Cheers
Mark

Plainsmuse

Adventurer
Response to your question

I don't find the clearance any less than any other factory passenger vehicle. Serious offroading and other such trails weren't considered, really, as the suspensions required aren't even in my realm of forte. I have a lead on a 2" lift kit, and am considering, but mostly concerned that it is quality built, and not something haphazard.
I do have pictures of the engine. The seats inside the cab come out, so you can work on the vehicle there. Yes, you are seated directly over the engine. Haven't noticed that this scenario works as a but warmer, yet.....;-)
Between the Daihatsu and the Suzuki, they have a mid-engine design, so the bed has a cover that's removable, to access trans and engine for replacement. Just to mention, the Honda and Subaru are rear engine, and have to remove the hatch in bed or work from beneath. I don't find the noise inside the cab excessive, as most domestic trucks are equally as noisy. The exception to this rule would be the Tundra, which is build on the LX400+ models. Their sound proofing and overall drive is more car like than a truck. I do own an 00 tundra, and have always been amazed at it's carlike attributes. I suppose that may offend some, but it's just an observation. Yes, does have the locking differential, which seems to come on automatically, when I shift it into 4 wheel drive. Light stays on even after I shift out, unsure why. Usually turns off after being stopped and restarted. Japanese, I guess. Amazing versatility, these little things have. 4' 1/2" wide, and about 10' 1/2" Long, and barely 5'6" tall. I do see that there is a ROMAHOME manufacturer over in the UK, that have a little plastic/fiberglass tray camper for these, on the older 550cc engines. I see one on ebay.uk every once in a while, though the trip over the drink doesn't seem to perk up my appetite to buy one. As to a tent trailer, someone in my area built one, so may have to go and take a looksee. I guess with $4 dollar gas looming, my little work truck made more sense than my 18mpg 00 Tundra.
I hope I got the pictures uploaded....thanks for welcoming me.

Last edited:

chet

island Explorer
I think your best bet would be a roof top tent on a platform def. the lightest. we have these rigs all over up here as they conform to the 25 year old rule and I see them doing 100 km/hr all the time. problem is once you put larger tires and weight in them they slow right down real quick.

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Ok, this is just plain wierd. I've never noticed the Suzuki Carry's before. I'm currently in a country (Bahamas) that has these little trucks and vans everywhere. I'm totally intrigued by them. This afternoon I decided to try to find some more info on them and, so far, haven't found much. Tonight, I click on ExPo and there's a thread on the subject. You guys are reading my mind!

Plainsmuse- Welcome to ExPo. I'd like to see more pictures of your truck.

Plainsmuse

Adventurer
Inevitably, more pictures will be requested...so here goes

For those who aren't aware, these are being shipped in droves now, from the docks of Japan, where a good bunch sit, ocean side. They tax them pretty heavy after a few years, to keep you buying new ones, and oats going thru the horse. Sides fold down, to make a great work surface. Most are right hand drive, and recent EPA rulings require the restrictor plates to be installed once they hit our docks. Sure, with a supercharger or turbo in their native country, they will top out over 75mph/120kph. Here, despite having seat belts, lights, rear view mirrors and anything else required for their age, the ATV lobby assumes they aren't for real roads...glad they're protecting our, er, their interests. :REOutShootinghunter
So, for $4000, you get a 15 to 20 year old vehicle, that with some updates, would be a fine ATV. Spend a little more, and you can have one that goes 75mph, and gets 30+ mpg at those speeds, and 50mpg if driven 50 to 55mph. No air in this one, but a great heater, windows and sheet metal to provide you with some protection and relief from the elements. The AM radio needs updated, but the wife said she prefers my singing anyway... :wings:
Oh, I should add, if you are over 6'4" or have a protruding gut, these vehicles will challenge your size. I have a 42 waist, and am 6', and have driven it for hours at a time. Comfortably, I might add. I don't know much about the newer versions, but in the older ones, I couldn't drive the Daihatsu for 45 minutes straight, without having to get out and stretch. Suzuki builds 65% of these, and the Mazda Scrum is built by Suzuki. The Samurai/Jimny is still built overseas, and Suzuki builds Chevy's small vehicles and engines. (Remember Geo?) I really enjoy this little truck, and am impressed...looks like a standard 8" clearance, so will have to consider improving that soon.
The 3 cylinder 660cc engine is often the first out of the light, and I see many surprised when I beat'em off the line. 5 speed shifts well, though the 5th gear doesn't seem to be that loud all the way out to 75mph. I should imagine if I had another gear....

Last edited:

Plainsmuse

Adventurer
Watch out for buying from just anybody...

Hey, I don't get paid to say this, but I bought mine through this Loren Hantsberger, in White River, SD. Here's his website. http://www.4wdminitruck.com/
There's dozens of guys buying 40' containers of these, 7 inside. Bought from an auction or some handler. This guy has been doing it longer than most, and seems to have a handle on what's trash and what ain't. If the vehicle sits near the sea side too long, it generally needs a lot of work to get back to working. Water pumps and what all. They're mostly Japanese, though California had a manufacturing plant, Daihatsu, here in the 80's and 90's, before their CEO decided to harass a secretary and the company tanked. Toyota bought them out, and still offers. I can't say enough about the Suzuki's. I wouldn't mind the Subaru, which seems to have a 4 cylinder engine, and mostly supercharged. In UK, I have seen various sized engines, including diesels. I will say, that you probably won't find one used in Japan, but could order new between $10 and $18K that would have the diesel.
The chinese are coming out with their copies...over priced, and probably replete with engineering issues that would leave you walking. They want the same price as the Japanese, and you could buy it some places for $4 to $5K. I wouldn't hesitate to own a 10 year old Japanese Mini, or older, if you have the required replacements done. Google Mini Trucks, or Kei Trucks, and you'll find out about all you want. Wikipedia....has a number of histories on these mini trucks.

Last edited:

Plainsmuse

Adventurer
Not promoting another forum...

But if you want real world answers about Kei Trucks in the USA...this is the place. http://www.minitrucktalk.com/
I won't try and steer you wrong...if you ask me. I have made some blunders with these, so don't just buy one to buy one. I think most of your forum would get along fine with the guy recommended, and I think he'd do right by you. He did for me. hhttp://www.4wdminitruck.com/ And no, I don't sell them, but then, for the right price, most things are for sale!:iagree:

Plainsmuse

Adventurer
chet said:
I think your best bet would be a roof top tent on a platform def. the lightest. we have these rigs all over up here as they conform to the 25 year old rule and I see them doing 100 km/hr all the time. problem is once you put larger tires and weight in them they slow right down real quick.
Thanks for your comments, Chet. In Canada, they have set up a rather qwerky rule about age limits in their importing. In US, can bring in new, but have to have the restrictor plate welded in, to keep it from shifting out of 2nd gear. Ones that were imported prior to this bizarre ban, don't have such requirements. I would be interested in links or recommended tent trailers. I currently have some Bridgestone 12" tires, and they are great. Deep, sort of aggressive tread, yet not rackety on the road. I don't think I'll opt for being slowed down by wider tires. My main consideration now, seems to be whether to build a camper shell with aluminum wider than the 4' 1/2" width. To do so would eliminate being able to take down the ATV trails. To not do so, would make a narrow sleeping platform....what to do?
Goodness, I am being over chatty, CHET. Thanks for the welcome.

Plainsmuse

Adventurer
Suzuki Diesel Adapter

Hello again, Chet.
I was wandering around wondering about whether a diesel was available for my Suzuki. I found this Acme Adaptor for upgrading to a 1.6 or 1.9 VW TDI. Some are saying 45mpg diesel, and simply low ranging over the worst you can find. Theres a video of his wife doing some off roading, and a leap over a rather large log. I'm giving it some thought.... I thought you might be interested for your Samurai. Cheers!
http://www.acmeadapters.com/index.php?sound=Y:1888fbbd:

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Plainsmuse- I just saw a Chevy version (van) with left-hand drive at breakfast this morning. To my untrained eye, the Suzuki and Chevy look identical. Are the parts interchangable on most of these vehicles?

Plainsmuse

Adventurer
Remember GEO

HMR said:
Plainsmuse- I just saw a Chevy version (van) with left-hand drive at breakfast this morning. To my untrained eye, the Suzuki and Chevy look identical. Are the parts interchangable on most of these vehicles?
I am unsure of the exact model, but GEO was Suzuki, rebadged as a Chevy product. http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic29964.htm for some history on the rebadging. Most of their fuel efficient offerings are just Suzuki's in disguise. As to what's happening in Bahamas, that's up to your investigating. The Kei Trucks are built in 3 basic designs, a 2 door, 4 door with smallish bed, and the van. So, most likely a derivative of those three. Occasionally, a jumbo cab is made, which amounts to a seat that can be moved backward for those over 6'2" or girth challenged. About 8" is the difference. It should be noted, there is a lot of ceiling height in these vehicles, I think theres maybe 9" from the top of my head to the ceiling when I'm seated. Which is a good thing, considering the bounces you'll likely be making with an 8' wheel base.
In regards to parts interchangable, the parts are likely all Suzuki, which means you get Suzuki parts. If you're looking at panels, where difference seems to occur, then, you better get Chevrolet. Don't think interchangeable that way. Chao!:victory:

chet

island Explorer
one question is it independant front suspension?

as for the diesel I don't think it is an option. the vw is a 4cyl and MUCH larger than the 660cc in your rig. plus it wouldn't get much better mileage than you get now!

I have seen one around here with a fabric canopy built on the bed, looks made by a boat top place. this would keep you dry anyways!

Fishenough

Creeper
Plainsmuse - awesome plans for your Carry, and glad to hear there available to you. Truly the expedition vehicle of the future. Do auto kia trucks like the carry have different gearing in the Auto's? I passed a spotlessly clean Carry headed to the border, this weekend, that must have been doing around 110 km/h. A Delica 5 speed does 120 at 3500-4000 rpm and our autos do that speed at just less then 3000 rpm (depending on tire size).

Chet - up here our imports have to be over 15 years and we want to keep it that way. But I bet you knew that.

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal