Suzuki SJ413 (Samurai) for a long trip

iq2004

Hi everyone

I´m planning a long trip, around South America, from Quito Ecuador to Ushaia Argentina in a round trip. I wanna do this travel in a Suzuki, because I have this car, I know the vehicle, and because I can, hehe.

The idea is to improve a roof tent, and try to put all the stuff inside the car. The trip will be done with my wife, I hope for 4 months.

Do any one have any idea or advice to the car?

I really preciate your answers.

BR

PD: sorry for the rusty english :ylsmoke:.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Ok first off. The Sammy might be little, but just like a Jeep, a pickup truck, any number of SUVs, and various other off road oriented vehicles.....it's not a car. A Prius is a car. A Corvette is a car. It's a Sammy, the Jeeps distant cousin, and a step above a mere car. :)

For the trip. Nothing adds bummer to a trip like a breakdown at the worst possible time, so I would take a look at reliability issues before anything. Wear items should be checked and/or replaced. Belts, hoses, fluids, brakes. Ujoints and axle bearings should have a good look. If they're high mileage consider replacing them no matter what they look like. You get the idea. Just about anything else you think about other than dependability will probably be comfort related and frankly, it's a Samurai, there's only so much of that you can squeeze out of it. :)

And your rusty English is 10 times better than our ability to speak whatever your native language might be, so no sweat there.

stevec

Adventurer
Assuming your Samurai is a hardtop, it should be great. As noted above, make sure the maintenance is up to date. Other than that, I would just recommend packing as light as possible. A storage/drawer system would be cool, but in a Samurai everything is within reach anyway, so (light weight) plastic tubs would be just as good, and save on weight.

Do post up pictures! I've dreamed about doing a similar trip in my LJ81, though I'd be starting from farther away!

iq2004

Thanks for your answers guys.

This is the Little Sammy:

DSC_0214.JPG

DSC_0213.JPG

Standar and tall hard top.

Now with images you could post ideas.

:coffee:

BR

Hranni

Nice sammy :)

I would start with suspension upgrade, compared to how much weight you will add to the car, im not talking about lift kits

if you know you'r car, you will know what you need to upgrade or fix.

Drawer systems are nice, but also extra weight, so if you find lighter and more simple solution to organice use it.

we all use diffrent gear and setups so find one or make one that suits you and you'r needs

hope i see more pics, and nice solutions to storage.

I own a vitara wich i bought in november its not my first one, as i started this lifestyle in one, but iv'e been going out for trips and figure out what i will need to change upgrade or fix. Took care of tlc ( tender, love and care ). Its a bit tricky on thouse light cars to travel compared to litle space and few kg.

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
Nice ride/ I agree do all your maintenance . redo Universal joints and keep 2 spares .get a spare "RAG Joint" the part that connects the steering to the steering box . U Joints ... That has been the week point for mine. You might want to upgrade the the suspension or at least the seats . . I am completely redoing my samurai into something " that will be samurai based " as I will be changing so much on mine Good luck

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
Keep it light, be mindful of how you load your gear and try to keep your center of gravity low (no heavy items on roof rack).
Before the trip, take a couple smaller trips to get a feel of what you want or need, as well as getting a better idea of how your vehicle will perform.
Take notes.
You might consider a winch. A synthetic rope will be lighter than cable, however in my experience, cable tends to last longer in harsher conditions.
As previously stated... extra parts, and keeping things in top condition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk