Swap Gas for diesel engines

Ghillie_Ohio

Observer
If you were to swap your gas engine to diesel , what engine would you use and why ? I read somewhere where the 2012 model might have diesel engines .

corax

Explorer
Your options depend on what vehicle you're starting with I guess. In my case, hands down it would be the Mercedes OM617 turbo diesel. Everything I've read says it is one of the most durable diesels ever made + it mounts to the original transmission with a simple bellhousing-engine adapter plate

fourfa

Observer
absolutely nothing wrong with the Toyota D4D 2.5L and 3.0L diesels in the current model Hilux, good enough for every other damn place in the world (except us of course)

Ghillie_Ohio

Observer
I did google search on Hilux . It would be nice to use it . But , the cost and finding someone to work on it would be hard . Maybe Calif it wouldn't be . Even importing used one from japan is getting harder . It seems to be choice between Mercedes and VW or Cummins if they ever come out with a small truck diesel engine. Not many people around here do mod on toyota trucks .

1stgenoverland

Adventurer
Your options depend on what vehicle you're starting with I guess. In my case, hands down it would be the Mercedes OM617 turbo diesel. Everything I've read says it is one of the most durable diesels ever made + it mounts to the original transmission with a simple bellhousing-engine adapter plate

I must agree with this. I have been looking into this conversion...Such a cool idea. Although I wonder what I would do with the ECU. Thats my only wonder though. The vw diesels are very light but not powerful enough for Hwy use IMO. The mercedes 5 cyl diesels are cheap to get as you can get a whole rusted Mercedes for around 600 bucks with a perfect engine. Just rebuild and chuck it in the truck. The Mercedes engine I have been told is easy revving so its not such a tractor. Plus they are easy to modify to get more power out of them and they can handle it too. Bigger turbo...less restrictive exhaust are things you can do to make them better. Plus you can do injector stuff too. Only downside is they are a bit heavy (anyone know how much one weighs) and because of the way they fit, The fan will not fit behind the Rad so electric ones have to be put in place instead. Not a big deal. Another cool thing, because of where the mercedes air filter is...You can put a second battery where the old toyota airbox was taken out. Unless of course you do a snorkel...then you have even more options. I can't wait to get the Mercedes engine in the truck. I'm going to get a friend to help me with the swap and make it look like my 1985 toyota 4runner came with a Mercedes OM617.95 from the factory. While thats all being done...Axles will be rebuilt...I'll put in different differential gears to run 31's without the speedo being off...I might even put on a set of 33's. We will see though as time goes on. I would like it to still run nice on the hwy after all.

LateNate

Adventurer
I have been wanting to do the same thing. I have a 98 Nissan and thought it would be awesome if I could get Nissan's turbo diesel in my truck here in the states. Haven't done a lot of research on it, but am think it will be no easy or cheap task.

from what i could find an om 617 long blocks weighs #563. the 1.6 td at roghly #350. these are both very rough internet numbers but i would think they are reasonbly close.

for some reason i'm thinking that the 4bt is in the #700 range.

i think the 22r/22re are in the #300 to #350 range

these are all from internet searches. feel free to correct these numbers if better info is found.

Last edited:

MrBeast

Explorer
Cummins 6BTA (12 valve) with a upgraded pump, injectors, turbo and Intercooler. It will run with 3 wires, it will get 17-30 mpg depending on what your gearing is.

nickw

Adventurer
Depends

If you were to swap your gas engine to diesel , what engine would you use and why ? I read somewhere where the 2012 model might have diesel engines .

I see guys recommending OM's, 4BT's, 6BT without knowing what your going to put it in. What kind of rig you have makes a huge difference. Your not going to be putting a cummins in a Toyota pickup unless your plan on A) ripping out the IFS and B) doing some insane fabrication. Even then, I think the weight of a 4BT is way overkill, let alone a 6BT.

OM617 is going to pose a problem with Pan depth, highly doubt it would work with any IFS platform.

I make the assumption you have a late"er" model Pickup, say 1990 and up. IMO there are two viable engines one could use.

1) OEM Toyota - for obvious reasons.

2) 1.9L VW. Sold in the US, small and 'may' be able to drop it into a minimally lifted or a rig with IFS. I think it will most likely interfere with the IFS systems since most diesels have a deep pan depth, but you never know and I have not personally tried.

corax

Explorer
OM617 is going to pose a problem with Pan depth, highly doubt it would work with any IFS platform.

This one's an OM617 on an '86-'89 body style with IFS. Even though the truck has a bracket lift, it looks like the oil pan clears the steering linkage. The front diff normally sits just under an inch higher and back further where it looks like the pan curves up anyway - it might be close, but it looks do-able without having to make much clearance.

IMG_0584.jpg

look over on pirate for roys rustbucket in the older toyota section. i didn't look like he had any lift on his 4 runner. it was an 89 iw/ifs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3

Members online