T100 w/ 220K miles still an OK buy?

euoeua

Hey everyone,

Long time lurker, first time post. I'm looking to purchase my first toyota truck, and what I think is a great deal on a T100 has presented itself to me.

I don't have a ton of money to spend – if I could I'd spring for a Tacoma with around 100K miles, but I can't reasonable do that yet. So my thought was to get an older Tacoma or T100, drive it until it dies and maybe drop a new 3.4L into it or get it rebuilt once the original one dies?

It's a 1998 SR5 w/ around 220K miles on it. Asking price is $2000 USD. The owner got it recently inspected and it came back clean, but I'll get the results directly sent to me so I know for sure. The rust is minimal on the frame, a little bit on the bed but it's not worrisome. Also comes with brand new studded winter tires worth $1000 themselves. There may be a slight issue with the 4lo (transfer case?) and I'm not sure if the head gasket has been done.

Anyways, for that price, and condition, is this a good buy as a first toyota truck to own? I'll be using it as my daily driver, which, I drive maybe 300 miles a week at most, with the occasional weekend trip out of state. I may throw a camper on the back too. If it lasts me a couple of years with minimal fuss and maintenance costs I'd be more than happy. The high mileage is slightly concerning to me, but I've heard that toyota trucks are the best out there. Not looking to do any huge overland adventures with it –*just stateside and some extended roadtrips chasing the whitewater.

euoeua

Thanks Verkstad. I asked for the mechanics inspection that was done about a month ago after some recent fuel pump work so hopefully I'll get that tomorrow and I'll have a better idea of what sort of condition it's in.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Not sure why it would need head gasket on the 3.4. If the timing belt has been done, that is a sign on a good owner. If oil and AT fluid has been changed on schedule, I would say no problem. 4lo - is this one a vacuum actuator one?

Anota

Observer
I bought mine at 240k for $2k. had to rebuild the starter and front end but in the grand scheme of things thats nothing. Just make sure to check regular frame rust spots like near body mounts.. But I'm at 280k now and the truck is as capable as most

evilfij

Explorer
My main concern would be the frame rust if you can turn wrenches. I wish something like that was available near me as there were not many T100s and they all rusted away.

euoeua

Frame rust seems to be minimal which is quite surprising. I'll know more tomorrow when I get the mechanics report done recently.

I'm not super mechanically minded but I'm certainly keen to learn, and hopefully this truck would be a good vehicle to learn on.

NoahGenda

Adventurer
My T100 has 230k and purrs like a kitten.
The 3.4 has valve cover gasket issues but not head gasket.
At $2k I would highly recommend the truck.

euoeua

Awesome, thank you so much all! Here's an email I got from the owner. Bear in mind, this owner has only had it for 3-4 months, and is selling to get a vehicle thats a little friendlier on the wallet for gas expenses. So, hopefully they also have some receipts and work records from the previous and original owner.

"Mechanically they saw that the tie rod ends were starting to get worn, front brakes are at 50% and rears are at 60%, and they think the patch that they put on the fuel tank should hold for another 100,000 kms or so. Also, they found that the body is banged up (obvious) including rust on the drivers side door, cracked mirrors and a loose mirror on the passenger side, sun roof needs a re seal, speedo wobbles at low speed, the box is a bit ****ed but still is fully functional and the bumper is rusty. Timing belt is due for a change in 25,000 miles, as of now the truck has no fluid leaks and doesn't burn oil. Check engine light is on and has been on for about 4 years due to the rear o2 sensor being tampered with when the aftermarket exhaust system was put in.

What I recently discovered is the 4low is not working (4high is working great). I've never used the 4low so the transfer case might just need a cleaning.

I will make sure you can call them but that's everything that I know (I think as long as I haven't forgotten anything). I definitely haven't forgotten anything major haha. Besides the fuel pump and the fuel tank issue I had it's been 100% reliable."

NoahGenda

Adventurer
Tie rods is a common T100 thing as well, just did mine as well as adjusting the rack and a an alignment and it was $550 is memory serves me.

euoeua

Great – anything else I should be concerned about from the owners description? There was a fuel tank leak which the mechanics patched somehow, otherwise the timing belt is also a bit of a worry.

NoahGenda

Adventurer
Where are you located?

I paid $2800 for a pretty cherry T100 not too long ago. It needed timing belt, tie rods and all those other bits but the starting point was no check engine, no real mechanical issues and not a spec of rust or body damage.

Looked like this the day i brought it home:
29213810883_03185bf577_c.jpg

euoeua

Where are you located?

I paid $2800 for a pretty cherry T100 not too long ago. It needed timing belt, tie rods and all those other bits but the starting point was no check engine, no real mechanical issues and not a spec of rust or body damage.

Looked like this the day i brought it home:
29213810883_03185bf577_c.jpg

I'm in Vancouver, BC! The truck was actually an American model imported to Canada, so I'm not entirely sure where it's spent most of it's life but the frame seems to be only minimally rusted.

Arclight

SAR guy
I paid $6,500 for one with close to 200K miles in California. It has a nearly-perfect body and interior, but no service records. I ended up doing basic maintenance and eventually spending about $2,000 to rebuild the engine. In short: they're excellent trucks that are greatly underrated. I would have no issues buying this vs. a $30,000+ note on a new 4WD vehicle.

Happykamper

Explorer
That's a great deal if it's been maintained!!! And sounds like it has !! My 2004 TACOMA WITH THE SIX IN IT HAS 242,389 and runs and drives like new ! But the member on here took great care of it maintenance wise ! These are pretty much bullet proof with proper maintenance! If you ever want to sell it I'll give you the $2000.00 back

euoeua

That's a great deal if it's been maintained!!! And sounds like it has !! My 2004 TACOMA WITH THE SIX IN IT HAS 242,389 and runs and drives like new ! But the member on here took great care of it maintenance wise ! These are pretty much bullet proof with proper maintenance! If you ever want to sell it I'll give you the $2000.00 back

Ha, you're right, I probably wouldn't have a problem finding someone on Expedition Portal that would take it off my hands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl