Tacoma on air bags?

09Busaman

We have a 2019 Tacoma Pro, just purchased a new micro mini winnebago with the off road package, tongue weight is 300 dry. My issue is I dont want to squat my truck when towing this light weight rv. Instead of a weight distribution hitch, I want to run a sway bar and bags, has anyone installed an air bag kit such as firestone or air lift bags? Going manual fill and skipping the on board air until we get the ARB under hood set up. Picking up the rv in a week. Any thoughts appreciated.20190926_072001 (2).jpg

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
I was going to put a set of the air lift bags on my truck but ended up with with a custom leaf pack added into the old leafs in the back instead. Truck rides level when towing something with similar hitch weight on the tacoma. I had them design the leaf pack to support the full weight of what the bed was rated to and still ride/ drive well, and not ride the bumps. had a local spring shop do it. put on four 5100 shocks at the same time and was out the door including an alignment at the tire place for about 1100 bucks. for sure more then the airbags but the price of just the leaf packs was fairly reasonable. might be worth asking around the local shops. if you do get the airbags, and plan to use the trd off road at all it is worth the investment in adding in the daystar airbag cradles which hold the bags and allow full articulation off road with out being limited by the bags or wearing out the airbags like they would be if mounted in the traditional manner. There is a pretty slick shop on the main page article that just posted about the norweld/main line overland tacoma that shows the bags and cradles.

(none)

Adventurer
You can add airbags and be just fine. 300# tongue weight really isn't very much weight though.

I have a frontier, but i was planning the same as you. I ended up adding OME heavy suspension front and rear (steel bumpers front and rear, sliders, winch up front, ARE cap, etc). With a 1/2" spacer added up front, my rear sits almost 2" higher than the front when unloaded (still with cap). That's perfect for me. When loaded down and a trailer (200-400# tongue weight), the truck sits with the rear about .5" high to level. I have already purchased the daystar airbag cradles with plans to purchase airbags but have not found a need for them yet.

See how much the truck actually squats and go from there. Are you planning to keep the stock springs going forward? If so, airbags will be perfect.

smokeysevin

Re-redoing things the third time
I am running airlift dominator 2600 bags and daystar cradles on my tundra with deaver g57 leaf springs and its awesome. I originally set it up to use schrader valves in the fender wells and it has worked well for the last few months but I am in the process of setting up fill/purge valves for each bag with pressure gauges so I can level the bed from in the cab.

Sean

bkg

Explorer
just out of curiosity, why don't you want to run a weight distributing hitch?

Climberclimb

Observer
2015 Tacoma here - I run firestone air bags. They are great, from towing to hauling firewood and carrying a camper. Best part is the adjustability. Easy to install yourself. Cheers

09Busaman

You can add airbags and be just fine. 300# tongue weight really isn't very much weight though.

I have a frontier, but i was planning the same as you. I ended up adding OME heavy suspension front and rear (steel bumpers front and rear, sliders, winch up front, ARE cap, etc). With a 1/2" spacer added up front, my rear sits almost 2" higher than the front when unloaded (still with cap). That's perfect for me. When loaded down and a trailer (200-400# tongue weight), the truck sits with the rear about .5" high to level. I have already purchased the daystar airbag cradles with plans to purchase airbags but have not found a need for them yet.

See how much the truck actually squats and go from there. Are you planning to keep the stock springs going forward? If so, airbags will be perfect.

I do plan to keep the stock suspension for now, maybe in a couple of years I will go a little taller.

09Busaman

just out of curiosity, why don't you want to run a weight distributing hitch?

I cant seem to find the right one, according what I have been told, with the hitch weight I have they cant recommend what rated hitch I need and I am not sure how the weight distribution will function while off road.

09Busaman

I was going to put a set of the air lift bags on my truck but ended up with with a custom leaf pack added into the old leafs in the back instead. Truck rides level when towing something with similar hitch weight on the tacoma. I had them design the leaf pack to support the full weight of what the bed was rated to and still ride/ drive well, and not ride the bumps. had a local spring shop do it. put on four 5100 shocks at the same time and was out the door including an alignment at the tire place for about 1100 bucks. for sure more then the airbags but the price of just the leaf packs was fairly reasonable. might be worth asking around the local shops. if you do get the airbags, and plan to use the trd off road at all it is worth the investment in adding in the daystar airbag cradles which hold the bags and allow full articulation off road with out being limited by the bags or wearing out the airbags like they would be if mounted in the traditional manner. There is a pretty slick shop on the main page article that just posted about the norweld/main line overland tacoma that shows the bags and cradles.

I have seen the cradles while shopping for the bags, they look pretty slick and I plan to purchase those as well. Our main idea is to set up camp and then explore during the day. I cant wait to get out to death valley.

Lownomore

If you want a great riding setup some Deaver springs with the Falcon tow/haul shock system gives a great ride loaded and unloaded. We've done that setup on several Tacos we put Four Wheel Campers in and it's a really good setup.

09Busaman

If you want a great riding setup some Deaver springs with the Falcon tow/haul shock system gives a great ride loaded and unloaded. We've done that setup on several Tacos we put Four Wheel Campers in and it's a really good setup.

Thank you, I will look into those. Appreciate the information.

smokeysevin

Re-redoing things the third time
Basic setup I have, yours will be different since its a stock axle, stock shocks, and stock springs.

This rides great with 5-10 psi of air unloaded, will take 700lbs in the bed with 25psi without sagging too bad.

Sean
03f1feb7514d3cd44a84e24d10040089.jpg
f9b28d5cb5c2191d6d203b36a8c708f3.jpg
d2fd8cf7ec7f8796e51a2c21d7877f8a.jpg

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

09Busaman

Basic setup I have, yours will be different since its a stock axle, stock shocks, and stock springs.

This rides great with 5-10 psi of air unloaded, will take 700lbs in the bed with 25psi without sagging too bad.

Sean
03f1feb7514d3cd44a84e24d10040089.jpg
f9b28d5cb5c2191d6d203b36a8c708f3.jpg
d2fd8cf7ec7f8796e51a2c21d7877f8a.jpg

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

That looks nice, thanks for the pics!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach