Tacoma Questions

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
I'm looking at a 2000 Tacoma and have a few questions.

2000 Tacoma TRD 4x4 extended cab V6 5 speed
203K miles.
Timing belt @ 180K
New clutch and reman tranny ~6 months ago
Camper shell with carpet kit.
Rear E-locker
Front Donahoe/ Icon?
Rear Deavers?
Bilstien 9100?
Nitto 285s in good condition.
1 owner
Arizona truck
Burgundy paint with some obligatory fade
I have known the truck and owner for 7+ years
Full documentation

What should I check out? I really know nothing about these trucks and what to watch out for. He said it needs a heater core because he has a wet spot on the carpet that is coolant. I thought I read somewhere about the clutch pedal mount cracking on these, but I don't know for sure.

Thanks,
Dave

njtaco

Explorer
Has it been in to the dealer for the "frame rust" recall?
There was a ball joint recall too.
Was the water pump replaced when the timing belt was done?
The rear frames sometimes get bent if the truck is overloaded, tows too much weight, or is tied down (on a trailer) too tightly.
Some trucks wear the steering racks, or rack mounting bushings prematurely. At 200K that may be an issue to watch for.

Last edited:

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
Has it been in to the dealer for the "frame rust" recall?
There was a ball joint recall too.
Was the water pump replaced when the timing belt was done?
The rear frames sometimes get bent if the truck is overloaded, tows too much weight, or is tied down (on a trailer) too tightly.
Some trucks wear the steering racks, or rack mounting bushings prematurely. At 200K that may be an issue to watch for.

I am going to check the frame this weekend. I doubt there is any issue as we are in Arizona. I will check on the other recall info to see if it was done. I would assume it has been completed as he is the original owner and it has been Toyota serviced.

I will check on the water pump.

He has only towed a little pop up tent trailer with it.

I seem to recall that it has poly steering rack mount bushings. I'll have to find out if there was any other steering work done. I replaced the rack on my buddy's son's Taco a few years ago. I don't think it was too terribly expensive and it was definitely an easy job.

Dave

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Steering rack & TRE's as mentioned, upper & lower ball joints. Put the front end in the air and check both for wear. The fixes are not that hard but you could be $1k in parts if the entire setup needed overhaul. The heater core is a chore to replace but assuming he will reflect it in the price I wouldn't be too worried. Rear axle seal leaks, CV axle clicking and diff tube seal leaks. Front/Rear output seal leaks at the t-case. The rear driveline carrier bearing. Park brake bell-cranks on the rear (particularly in rusty prone regions). Frame rust as mentioned. Control arm frame side mounts. Brainstorming the things I've had to replace :D

tacoma2

man you got a 4x4 with an e locker they are hard to find i would jump on it i want an e locker for my 4x4 tacoma so bad but its an expensive little deal

grntrdtaco

Adventurer
was it the first or second timingbelt/water pump?

supposed to be done at 90k or so miles on a 2000. if its the first one i would really check it out, they may have overlooked other maintenance on it.

check out the skids for damage (good indicator if its been taken offroad/abused) and check out the U joints, see if you can see any grease on them. that is one thing that i have seen DIY mechanics forget to do (not sure if he did his own basic maintenance or not).

i have not had anything really fail on mine (same year at 100k miles right now) right around 2000 was about as good as toyotas get in terms of reliability.

edit:
check for a squeaky clutch pedal, if that is not addressed it can be expensive to fix. the other posts have covered just about everything else i can think of

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
He had the belt and pump done at 90 and 180.

It doesn't matter, though. He was asking 5 grand for it and apparently he ended up getting 6. Two guys were looking at it at the same time and bid it up right in his driveway.

Dave

JJackson

Explorer
He had the belt and pump done at 90 and 180.

It doesn't matter, though. He was asking 5 grand for it and apparently he ended up getting 6. Two guys were looking at it at the same time and bid it up right in his driveway.

Dave

Sorry to hear about that Dave.

Fixins

edit:
check for a squeaky clutch pedal, if that is not addressed it can be expensive to fix. the other posts have covered just about everything else i can think of[/QUOTE]

What do I need to know about this? Mine has been squeaking for a while now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad