tacoma, tundra or 4runner?

98tcoma3rz

Observer
Hey everyone. Looking to buy a new rig soon. We'll not brand new. I've narrowed my choices down to a first gen double cable tacoma, a V8 4runner or a mid 2000's tundra. I currently have a regular cab tacoma 4 cylinder. Looking to build something for some overlanding trips. Just trying to get some opinions out there. Most of the time it will just be my dog and I. Occasionally I think the old lady will join me :) I love my tacoma. It's a tank. 220k miles. Still runs like a top but I would like something automatic and at least a v6. I'm a little worried the 4runner is too small but I love the look of them and I know the 4.7 V8 is very dependable....well I guess most toyota engines are.

I like the tundra as well but I'm a little worried that might be too big. I really would like a 4 door but they have a pretty long wheelbase.

I'm looking to spend around 10k or so on it. I know it will be something with higher mileage. Anyone overland with the 4 cylinder? I have put a lot into my regular cab but doesn't seem like it would be too great for long trips. Opinions and advice are greatly apprciated! Thanks

adrenalated

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with any of the trucks...

Depending on what's on your mods list, Tacos and 4R's have much better aftermarket parts selection available. More and more companies are starting to make stuff for the 1st gen Tundras, and plenty of people have hacked parts designed for other vehicles onto Tundras, but there really is a lot more stuff out there for the other two.

Overall reliability seems to be about the same.

The 4R and Taco will both be better offroad than the Tundra just because they're smaller. The Tundra is extremely capable for a "full-size" pickup, but it's still bigger. (It's worth noting the 2nd Gen Taco is nearly the exact same size, so they're not THAT big.) They'll also get a little better gas mileage.

But... the Tundra has more space. If you go the Tundra route, I'd steer you towards an Access Cab rather than a double cab if it's just you and the dog most of the time. The backseat is actually big enough for an adult to ride back there reasonably comfortably, plenty big enough for a dog, and not as huge and long as the DC. All Tundras had a 6ft bed whereas the 1st gen Taco DC only came with a 5ft bed, so you can actually sleep in the Tundra. It's easy to build something MUCH more comfortable than sleeping in a tent.

Due to the short bed length, the Taco DC is kinda a weird animal to me unless you just really need a spot to put dirty things. The access cab Taco has worthless rear seats, so it's only helpful for extra storage. So if you want the off-road capability a smaller vehicle and easy mods, my vote goes to the 4R. If you want a vehicle you can sleep in or more space in general, Tundra.

(I rock an 04 Tundra Access Cab)

dyogim

Explorer
If you go with a 1gen tundra, go for an 05-06 DC. They have the better transmission. If you go for anything earlier, go with an 03-04. Unless, any of the 00-02 models is well past the 100K mile mark. Early models had bad transmissions and usually imploaded around the 75K mile mark.

I have an 00 tundra, but my second choice would be a DC taco. V6 has enough power to haul/pull what's needed for off road expeditions. Comfortable fit 4 full size passengers. Has a lot of aftermarket parts available. Is the best of both worlds, truck/SUV because of the DC.

4Runner would be my last choice. Only because I prefer having a truck bed.

ol' scott

Adventurer
My last three vehicles have been an '02 Tundra Access Cab, a '99 4Runner, and currently an '02 Tacoma Double Cab, save for my 4Runner being a different generation I've kinda been where you are wanting to go. Before any of these it was a 2000 Tacoma regular cab, so I've been where you are now also.

I'll admit, sometimes I miss the simplicity of my regular cab Tacoma but with a wife, child, and two dogs I can't go back there. I liked the interior size of the Tundra, it was nice to have a little extra space in the front seat. I had the bench seat with the folding center console, I really liked that setup and I could reasonably carry 6 adult passengers for a few miles when shuttling for hiking and/or canoe trips. Having a larger bed was nice too but with the cap on it sometimes it was hard to get gear near the front of the bed. The biggest issue with the Tundra (for me and my wife) was the size. Wider, longer, and the terrible turning radius was the worst. Really, the turning radius was the biggest issue. The lack of after market options has been mentioned. I just bought some things for the Tacoma and it was a completely different experience than it was for a Tundra. Also, it never really seemed to have the power of a V8. Sometimes I still miss it though, a solid truck that ticked a lot of boxes.

We test drove a V8 4Runner and it seemed to have more power than my Tundra. That probably had more to do with the fact it was an '02 Tundra versus a newer 4Runner. I liked it but it was going to be my wife's car and it didn't tick all of her boxes. As for your situation I don't know, but I just don't like the idea of all of my gear being in the vehicle with me. I liked the 4Runner alright, but I need something that I can use around the property for truck work and I couldn't load brush or mulch or dirt etc. in the 4Runner.

After a few months in a '14 Focus ST I decided I needed to get back something that was practical. (If I had trouble around the property with a 4Runner the Focus certainly wasn't going to help. I got tired of borrowing trucks.) I thought about V8 4Runners, Tacomas, Xterras (I had an '04 in the past) but I kept being pulled back to a Tacoma. I never even test drove a 2nd generation though they crossed my mind. I headed straight for the 1st generation and found a decent example in Atlanta that the owner listed here. A 13 year old vehicle that certainly held its value but I'm happy. A big enough bed for all the work I need to do, enough towing capacity to just barely do the work, enough seats for the family. I can load the truck with fruit trees and two 55 gallon barrels of water and stay busy driving through fields and ditches all day. I've read in trip reports where guys with 5ft beds use the bed extender to their satisfaction. Driving it feels like I'm back in college driving my 2000 regular cab but now I have so many more options for passengers. I'm just comfortable with it.

For me my Tacoma fits the bill. The only area it might remotely come up short is in the power department but that's a concession I'm willing to make. I can't comment on the 2nd generation Tacoma but it doesn't check the $10k box, especially with 4 doors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shazpete