Tata Xenon

haven

Expedition Leader
India's Tata Motors introduced a new one ton diesel pickup design in January. The new truck is called the Xenon. It will be available in single cab and double cab models.

tataxenon.jpg

The Xenon is powered by a 2.2-liter turbodiesel engine producing 140 horsepower and 250 ft-lb of torque. The 4x4 has a shift on the fly transfer case, limited slip rear differential and torsion bar independent front suspension.

Tata will produce the Xenon in Thailand, and in Argentina in partnership with Fiat. Thailand is the world's second largest market for pickup trucks (after USA), and all the Japanese companies have factories there. To make a splash in this saturated market, the introductory price of the Double cab will be less than $19,000.

Here's a Youtube video (audio in Italian, unfortunately) showing the single cab and double cab versions of the Xenon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC8J2YOqQxo

I have not read of any plans to import the Xenon to USA. If Mahindra has success with the Appalachian, I think Tata will take notice. They could sell it through their new subsidiary, Land Rover!

Chip Haven

jcbrandon

Explorer
I'm old enough to remember a funny little car powered by a 750cc motorcycle engine. It said Honda on it.

When I spent some time in Sri Lanka a couple of years ago, I kept laughing to myself at the funny big old trucks with "Tata" on the grill. Those things are everywhere, and they go everywhere, in a country with very little infrastructure, and the best version of the fix-it-with-bailing-wire-and-duct-tape attitude.

Here's one of my favorite Tata pictures from that trip:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat