Taxa Wooly Bear Overland Edition? Good for the price? General thoughts?

Sid Post

Observer
https://taxaoutdoors.com/products/woolly-bear

I have been to the last two ExPo events at Fort Collins, CO where I have seen a lot of trailers oriented for adventurous travels. I currently own a Taxa Tiger Moth (base edition) which I pulled with my Honda Accord mainly. These days I'm doing deep sand Surf Fishing and more remote places mainly in the central USA with a lifted hardcore Toyota Tacoma. I could retrofit the Overland features to my Tiger Moth but, I don't think it would hold up to my travels right now and I want to preserve it for gentler travels to tractor shows, state parks, and similar stuff.

Most of the Adventurous overland trailers I have seen were in the mid-$30K range and up which is more than I want to spend. I get they typically have better kitchens, on-board water, outside showers, and similar features. Solar power and compressor fridges (ARB, Truma, etc.) are easy enough to add so I don't see that as a significant difference.

With the Timbren Axle-Less Suspension, 16" wheels/tires, lock-n-roll hitch, and a sub-$20K price, this one has my attention. I will be doing a Roof Top Tent and awning so, in the end, I will be in the upper teens to possibly kissing $20K.

Basically, I'm looking at a pseudo-backpacking experience that isn't a ground tent with some comforts and storage. I have ruled out a RTT on my Tacoma for several reasons FWIW.

What are the general thoughts and opinions of the Taxa Wooly Bear trailers, specifically in the Overland flavor? What other trailers should I consider? General thoughts pro or con?

TIA,
Sid (on the edge of Tropical Storm Beryl)

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

Hey Sid. I looked real hard at the Mantis. I did not like the all the rivets. It had axel issues. The mattress was laughable. One guy contacted me and said his roof blew off (older model) .

I don't know if any of these issues happened on the smaller units.

Let me think on this for other trailers in this space.

Sid Post

Observer
Hey Sid. I looked real hard at the Mantis. I did not like the all the rivets. It had axel issues. The mattress was laughable. One guy contacted me and said his roof blew off (older model) .

I don't know if any of these issues happened on the smaller units.

Let me think on this for other trailers in this space.

The reason I initially ended up with the Tiger Moth was the glowing reviews I got from actual owners! That and the fact I could pull it with m Honda Accord. Granted it maxes out my Accord but, I had some great trips with that setup.

Now I'm rolling in a lifted heavily modded Toyota Tacoma and need something tougher so I don't kill my Tiger Moth. A small SUV or decent car and I will travel to less adventurous places together because it has proven to be such a great travel companion with a pseudo-real bed and basic kitchen so I'm not stuck with over priced low-quality meals. And the Tiger Moth pulls really easy going down the highway with its low profile and sloped roof.

Gotcha. Did you get a chance to look at the other trailers I listed.

Wondering if the wholly bear is off road capable enough for where you can go with your tacoma. I believe you could get that Kingdom Camping Base x with cruise master suspension which will be more capable then Timbrens

Sid I really think the Kingdom with Cruisemaster is the one. Are you in Colorado? I know Jamin the owner of Kingdom has land there and visits often. Don't let his Elkhart location scare you 😉

Sid Post

Observer
Gotcha. Did you get a chance to look at the other trailers I listed.

Wondering if the wholly bear is off road capable enough for where you can go with your tacoma. I believe you could get that Kingdom Camping Base x with cruise master suspension which will be more capable then Timbrens

Hmm, What makes the Cruise Master better than the Timbrens Axle-less suspension? Most of the trailers I looked at during the Expo events were Timbrens equipped. To be honest I don't recall a single Cruise Master equipped trailer.

Sid Post

Observer
Sid I really think the Kingdom with Cruisemaster is the one. Are you in Colorado? I know Jamin the owner of Kingdom has land there and visits often. Don't let his Elkhart location scare you 😉

Actually, East Texas is where I "launch" from. 🥳 Happy to be back in Texas personally.

That Base X looks pretty good. Wish I could see one in person.

Hmm, What makes the Cruise Master better than the Timbrens Axle-less suspension? Most of the trailers I looked at during the Expo events were Timbrens equipped. To be honest I don't recall a single Cruise Master equipped trailer.

I will admit on this size trailer Timbrens would be fine. I have 3500HD on my Trailer Marker and they are fine for me. The Cruisemaster are Australian and near twice as much cost wise. This is why you don't see them on smaller northern American overland trailers. Others can probably explain trailing arm shock or spring suspension better then I. They have more travel and damping. I was just thinking with your Taco you might benefit from the cruismaster system.

Sid take this for what it is but looking at the Wholly Bear FB group there are still issues with aliment and camber on the Overland timbren models. I am blown away that Taxa can't figure this out. Are they using a cross bar? Are thier frames out of square ? I would look elsewhere

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3