Temporary RTT setup on an M416...ideas needed.

Chris Vitale

D90, M416
Hi,

Fairly new to this site, yet have spent a considerable amount of time lurking here...especially on all of the expedition trailer builds!

I need your help.

I am debating a last minute purchase of a roof top tent (Tepui), pending whether or not I can rig something up to attach it temporarily to my new to me m416 trailer.

I plan on a more long-term suitable solution in the future, like building an aluminum hight adjustable/removable rack, but just need a solution to get me by next weekend.

is it possible to secure a RTT to the m416...using something like two 2 inch ratchet straps? Any other ideas you may have for a short-term solution? I'd rather not start drilling or welding until I finalize my plans for the longer-term solution.

My trip will be approximately 5 hours of highway driving and once arrived, we will setup camp for two nights and then return home.

Thanks for your experiences and ideas.

Chris

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 29

Trailpsycho

Observer
There was a guy who picked up some round rail mount style crossbars, you could do that, but you are looking at a decent bit of coin to do so....although they would probably still be useful for something else down the line.

The RTTs are durable, but not something you can just strap down and go. Without appropriately mounting it from below, you arent going to be able to open it anyway.

Could you ratchet tie some 1X1" square or 1X2 rectangular tubing across the rails of the M416 and secure the tubes on the tub's hooks (also may want to do a full wrap under the tub)? Sure. And you could then mount the tent to the tube... but as I alluded to, you may want to do a full wrap under the tub with your straps, as well as the hooks, as with two peoples weight cantilevered over the opposite side, I could see the hooks yielding a bit. This wouldnt be my first choice of setup, of course, but it would probably suffice.

I have considered doing soemthing similar myself until I get my lid built, but it just makes more sense to set it all up on my subaru outback and leave the 76 Bronco and trailer at home...double the gas mileage and few places in IN that I cant get to in the Outback. Eventually, I will have the trailer set up to go behind both vehicles.

Good luck with whatever you decide, just remember to be safe and practical with whatever you come up with.

Cheers!

John

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Hi Chris and welcome,

This was the simplest thing I could come up with..

2 pieces of 2" x 2" x 1/8" cut to 4' lengths with 2 pieces of 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" x 1/8" square tubing, that could either be bolted or welded together.

As far as a typical connection to the top of the tub...probably 4 bolts or self tappers to hold the angle iron securely...but I would err on the side of caution and bolt it

416rtt.jpg

Where are you NNJ?..I'm over by Northvale, NY line if you get stuck

Chris Vitale

D90, M416
Thanks for the welcome. I am located near the Morristown area. I recently rebuilt my Defender 90 and will be looking to get back into wheeling trips in the near future...hence the RTT need.

In regard to the rail mount cross bar solution...I have searched Yakima and Tule websites and I am not confident any of their mounts would work on the m416. If someone has done this already, it would be a good solution. But I wonder if the weight (~600 lbs total) would cause too much stress on each of the 4 mounts?...

Thanks for the drawing...I like this solution too as it better distributes the weight. I just may go this route if I can get it welded up. Will still likely use ratchet straps to secure it down to the railing, by going under and around the entire tub. Again, this will not cause me to have to drill anything until I can finalize my plans.

Thanks again for the great ideas...and if you know of cross mount bars that work on the m416 railing...please let me know.

Kingnailer

Pipe clamps with 3/4" pipe cut to the right length. Then use ratchet straps off the ends of the pipe to the bottom of the bed. One long strap my loop under the bed and attach to both ends of the pipe. All this will be available at home depot or lowes. Cutting a 2x4 and wedging it in-between the bed will keep it from flexing when tightening the clamps. Good camping

ManleyORV

Rugged. Reliable. Ready.
I'd just get some 1x1 tubing, 60" long, two pieces. Lay them across the bed and then bolt them down to the lip. When you remove them, worse case is a couple of holes which on an ol' M416 probably isn't the first.

Or you could find a way to clamp it, I have something in my head but would be hard to explain. But either way affix two pieces of 1x1 steel tubing and you are good to go. Will cost you $20.

-Josh

FAW3

Adventurer
For getting this done right now and getting on the road, at a low cost and no real modifications to trailer or RTT you might regret NEXT month:

I would consider using a panel of 3/4 exterior grade plywood sized to fit over and a bit beyond the top edge rail of the trailer tub. The RTT would be mounted to the plywood...nuts/bolts - ideally any mounting structure of the RTT would add some ridigity to this panel. Use at least 3 good grade rachet straps to secure this assembly of RTT and plywood to tub. Protect straps from edges of plywood...best might be to cut strap detents in where you plan to use the straps...prevent any strap movement and reduces any friction/wear to straps. To load or access gear...just ease the straps and slide RTT forward, back or side to side a foot or so enough to gain access to squeeze your gear into/out of the tub. Should hold RTT for travel and camping fine. Allows limited access and protection to gear in tub. Simple...low cost...low time and your on your way.

Good luck!

ManleyORV

Rugged. Reliable. Ready.
For getting this done right now and getting on the road, at a low cost and no real modifications to trailer or RTT you might regret NEXT month:

I would consider using a panel of 3/4 exterior grade plywood sized to fit over and a bit beyond the top edge rail of the trailer tub. The RTT would be mounted to the plywood...nuts/bolts - ideally any mounting structure of the RTT would add some ridigity to this panel. Use at least 3 good grade rachet straps to secure this assembly of RTT and plywood to tub. Protect straps from edges of plywood...best might be to cut strap detents in where you plan to use the straps...prevent any strap movement and reduces any friction/wear to straps. To load or access gear...just ease the straps and slide RTT forward, back or side to side a foot or so enough to gain access to squeeze your gear into/out of the tub. Should hold RTT for travel and camping fine. Allows limited access and protection to gear in tub. Simple...low cost...low time and your on your way.

Good luck!

Good idea too!

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
Thule Rapid Railing System

This is the widest one, may want to check the measurements.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thule-756xt...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4164a17f2c&vxp=mtr

Here is a smaller one...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thule-751XT...168?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec1358a80

I had one on my M416, but I don't know what size it is, the manual was for all of them.

37875_463837673293_583003293_6339845_4813485_n.jpg

37474_463837543293_583003293_6339844_6974089_n.jpg

DSCF2331.jpg

Chris Vitale

D90, M416
Wow. Great ideas!

Clever plywood idea...seems most simple and versatile, in a pinch. I bet one could even have that rhino lined too add durability and waterproof.

Also nice to know that Thule does have a mount that works...I will have to check that mount out at a local store.

Thanks all!

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
Wow. Great ideas!

Clever plywood idea...seems most simple and versatile, in a pinch. I bet one could even have that rhino lined too add durability and waterproof.

Also nice to know that Thule does have a mount that works...I will have to check that mount out at a local store.

Thanks all!

It has been discontinued, that's why I provided ebay links :) I meant to type it and forgot.

Chris Vitale

D90, M416
Difficult to tell from picture. Did the mount grab the rail real good? Like did it wrap around the rail rather than just sit on top of it?

BTW- thanks for the links an info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven