tent installation discussion

overlander

Expedition Leader
Although i don't have my tent yet, I have plans to get one soon. I am struggling however, in my daydreams and big plans, with going for a front or rear install on the roof rack for the tent. I have ruled out side mounting, as I feel the vehicle will be more prone to sway with the tent opened over a side. I really like the option of being able to have a shower room underneath the open tent, which requires a rear install. I'm also thinking that post operation maintenance in an encampment with the tent over the rear would be easier than trying to access an open bonnet with an open tent erected overhead. What are the merits of a front mounted tent over the rear? pros-cons-opinions from those that have them? function vs. form for this discussion. I prefer the look of the front opening, but don't see any obvious advantages over rear mount.

I absolutely intent to install a heat exchanger shower in my rig, so the shower tent is a must.

Graham,
You spent a year with a front mount (surprised you went that way). I would love to hear your opinion as well.

pwc

Explorer
What good timing!! I just got my T-Top 1400 mounted facing rear on a NAS 110. You can mount it directly to the rollcage which is nice (I still need a locker washer or nylock nut, but it works well).

More info can be found on Norhtwest Overland Society here.

I went to the rear as my wife wanted covered space to cook. And I did too (yes, I cook, sometimes). Plus I wanted a place outside of the truck for the two dogs to sleep out of the elements. So my needs are a bit different you, but that's why I went out the back. It was also a lot easier to mount as I needed no manufacturing and the 2.5" 5/16" bolts can be found everywhere. It's simple and works. Eventually I'll put something of a small "deck" over the front space before the lights, but for now, it works. My other big hangup about going forward is I'd have to get rid of the lights up top as they are too high. That's just being lazy though.

A couple pictures

viewer.aspx

viewer.aspx

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Personally, I like a tet that can be entered from the side of the vehicle - either side. There is no reason that this configuration should be any less stable than other options.

Mounting to open to front or back means that you loose use of the space under the erect tent (front mount) or may limit use of this space OR access to the rear of the vehicle- think about where your gear is stored and how often you will be accessing this space.

If you need the cool safari look - mount it to open over the rear. If you want maximum utility and access, mount to open to the side.

Mike S

overlander

Expedition Leader
Mike,
I'm not following you logic I'm afraid. Hell of a lot easier to grab a vehicle from the side and shake it on the suspension, then to try shaking it from the front or back. that is magnified when you add the arm momentum of a tent over the side with the weight of two+ people spread over the CG.

As for utility, defenders have doors that open to the side. there's no utility lost with a tent opening over the rear. Take a look at the tent opened over PWC's rear. There is no restriction whatsoever in accessing any door on the vehicle. And accessing any gear on a roof rack forward of the tent is easily done by climbing up onto the hood (at least for us defender and series folk).

Wonkinator

Here's a question....Do you know if anyone has tried to just use the shower option with a platform that flips over it? We sleep inside our FJ and would really like having the shower option to sit in if it were raining, versus laying in the back of the FJ.

I'm thinking maybe an awning out the back with the shower option attached to it.

Any ideas?

(ps. We do have an SUV Truck tent now, but it's a pain in the @ss to set up and take down (I'm lazy). I'm thinking pulling out the awning, attaching the show curtain around it would be much easier.)

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
overlander said:
Mike,
I'm not following you logic I'm afraid. Hell of a lot easier to grab a vehicle from the side and shake it on the suspension, then to try shaking it from the front or back. that is magnified when you add the arm momentum of a tent over the side with the weight of two+ people spread over the CG.

As for utility, defenders have doors that open to the side. there's no utility lost with a tent opening over the rear. Take a look at the tent opened over PWC's rear. There is no restriction whatsoever in accessing any door on the vehicle. And accessing any gear on a roof rack forward of the tent is easily done by climbing up onto the hood (at least for us defender and series folk).

Of course! A Defender has rear doors and not a hatch. No reason then to avoid a rearward opening mount. I have never been wild about front opening tent fitments - you need to get up and pull the tent open and again when stowing the tent - a PITA. Plus, as you pointed out, it would limit access to the engine compartment, and make the 'shower room' pretty useless.

M

Metal Twister

Highly Motivated
I to will be in the market for several tents in the near future. Do you Know what the floor dimensions are off hand? I can contact the company but thought you might know off the top of your head. Thanks Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design