The Bold Overland Tacoma - Build Thread

K.Ray

Adventurer
sKefKfeh.jpg

2009 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 4.0L V6 auto TRD Sport Dbl Cab Long Bed
5TEMU52N29Z595068

Purchased June 2016 to replace the departed 2006 Tacoma that Moab saw fit to take from us.

The major factory options on this truck include:
TRD Sport Package - Unsure if it's the actual limited slip or the brake controlled traction aid system, non-functional hood scoop, color matched bumpers and grille
JBL Audio Package - 6.1 speaker system with bluetooth and hands-free
Towing Package - Integrated class IV receiver hitch, trailer brake pigtail, engine oil cooler, transmission cooler, larger capacity battery, and higher output 130amp alternator

A slew of parts were yank from my old truck. I purposfully looked for a 2008-2011 Tacoma in the same silver with long bed so I could bolt everything that I already owned back up. Why 2008 or newer? Because I wanted the upgraded stereo with AUX in. Long drives require it!

Suspension/Drivetrain:
- OME 885x Coils
- Wheeler's 3-leaf AAL
- Bilstein 5100 Adj Fronts
- Bilstein 5100 Rears
- BFG A/T K02 235/85r16
- Rear diff breather mod

Lighting:
- 1156-type LEDs for ARB indicators
- 921-type LEDs for reverse lights

Interior:
- WeatherTec Mats F/R

Exterior:
- ARB Deluxe Bull Bar
- Warn VR10000
- Leer 100R camper shell
- Yakima Control Towers
- HEO 2m awning

Electronics:
- Cobra 75WXST
- Firestik 3'
- Baofeng UV-5R V2+ HAM radio

Misc:
- Orion Cooler 55qt
- Mr. Heater Buddy

Last edited:

BrennMan

Observer
Just read through your thread (and Zack's...) today. You were able to get the warn running again? Looking forward to seeing this truck progress.

K.Ray

Adventurer
Just read through your thread (and Zack's...) today. You were able to get the warn running again? Looking forward to seeing this truck progress.

Not yet. Waiting on a few things to ship in and then we're going to attempt a rebuild. It looks like the electronics are all toast but we'll see.

K.Ray

Adventurer
Quick little update as I button up small ancillary things on the new truck.

First photo is a lesson learned from industry professionals. Always use weatherproof crimp connectors, not solder. Solder is brittle and will eventually break. No manufacturer uses it anywhere on their vehicle so why should I. These are the indicator wires for the ARB Bull Bar. You have to splice them into the factory wiring. The ARB Fogs got their own factory style connector ends that plug right into the factory wiring harness. I just unplugged from the old truck and plugged into the new truck.

Second photo is fixing the overhead temp/compass readout. Tacomas have a common issue with the bottom most resister breaking it's solder (see previous point). I laid a thick bead down and good as new! The OEM replacement is something absurd like $200.

K.Ray

Adventurer
Rear Lift Install

I took some time last night to get the rear lift installed on the new truck. I ran by Knoxville Spring Service that afternoon on my lunch break to have some ubolts made up. 20 minutes later and I was in business.

I've done this dance 3 or 4 times now, after installing and removing from the last Tacoma. It's not a hard job but there are specific techniques required that most don't take the time to do.

The lift I went with is from Wheeler's Offroad. It's the 3-leaf add-a-leaf pack that bolts under the stock leaf springs. They recommend you remove your overload but I had left it on the previous truck. I decided to remove the overload on this truck because of the amount of lift the AAL gave previously. It was sold to me at a 1.5" lift AAL. I saw 2.75" of lift from it on the access cab. Removing the overload removes about a 1/4" from the lift (the thickness of the overload). I don't tow or haul anything other than our overlanding gear so I don't feel the overload is necessary with the added leafs.

Install went well. The factory springs on this Tacoma are tired. Very tired. I had brand new springs on the previous truck replaced when they did the frame swap.

I noted a lift amount of almost exactly 2" on this truck after cruising around the block after installing without the overload. Remember, that's with the camper top on the double-cab long bed truck. Wheeler's is still claiming these AAL units as 1.5" lift springs. Hilarious.

Alignment was dead on. Each spring perch was exactly 25.5" away from the front leaf spring bolt and all ubolt nuts were 1.5" from bottom of nut to bottom of thread. Truck is actually driving a little more straight now. After I install the front lift I'll take the truck in for an alignment to my specs. It's very important to have your rear axle aligned BEFORE you have a shop align the front. Even though you're paying for a "4 wheel alignment" most shops around here will refuse to touch a rear solid axle. They just don't get it. If the rear is off your thrust angle will be off. This is what causes a "dog-legged" symptom of a vehicle crab walking down the road. I feel we're good to go on this new truck.

The ride has improved. The best I can tell, having the springs arched up gets the Bilstein 5100s into their sweet spot for valving and things feel planted yet soft. I'll take it.

Now all that's left is to lift the front. I have my old bilstein 5100 adjustables and OME 885x coils. On the last truck they barely lifted 2". I had to bump the 5100s up to .85" to tame the muscle car rake. My best guess is that I'll see even less lift on this new heavier truck. I'm tossing around the idea of swapping for 886 coils but don't want the increased spring rate. More to come.

Last edited:

irish_11

Explorer
After some research 887 coils would give you more lift, but keep the same spring rate. I'm researching 2nd gen suspension ideas right now and it seems like there are a good number of options out there.

K.Ray

Adventurer
After some research 887 coils would give you more lift, but keep the same spring rate. I'm researching 2nd gen suspension ideas right now and it seems like there are a good number of options out there.

Interesting, thanks! I did not know about the 887 coils. I'll see how much lift I get from the 885x coils and go from there. I'm sure the community could benefit from the recorded info. And, hey, it might actually be enough lift for my truck.

soonenough

Explorer
Now all that's left is to lift the front. ...... I'm tossing around the idea of swapping for 886 coils but don't want the increased spring rate.
I can attest to the 886's being pretty stiff on an '08 DCSB with ARB front bumper and M8000 winch. Granted I have load range E 285's, so I'm sure some of my perceived 'harshness' is due to the tires.

K.Ray

Adventurer
I can attest to the 886's being pretty stiff on an '08 DCSB with ARB front bumper and M8000 winch. Granted I have load range E 285's, so I'm sure some of my perceived 'harshness' is due to the tires.

I'm also running e-class 235/85r16 tires so get a somewhat harsh ride until I air down. I'm not sure the 886 is a good option with e-class tires.

irish_11

Explorer
Interesting, thanks! I did not know about the 887 coils. I'll see how much lift I get from the 885x coils and go from there. I'm sure the community could benefit from the recorded info. And, hey, it might actually be enough lift for my truck.

No prob! Ive been doing a TON of reading on different springs over on TacomaWorld. Looks like the 885 and 887 are 590lb spring rate, the 887's being 5mm taller, so you get a .5" extra lift. The 886's are 650lbs.

K.Ray

Adventurer
Lifted.

Front: OME 885x coils w/ Bilstein 5100 struts - struts set to zero lift
Rear: WheelersOffroad 3-leaf AAL w/ Bilstein 5100 shocks - overload leaf removed

Suspension Measurements
(Taken from wheel hub center straight up to fender flare with truck in garage)

Before:
FD - 19 7/8"
FP - 20 1/8"
RD - 21"
RP - 21 1/8"

After:
FD - 21 7/8"
FP - 21 7/8"
RD - 22 7/8"
RP - 22 7/8"

This equates to a total front lift of approximately 1.75" with just 885x coils and total rear lift of approximately 1.63" with wheeler's 3-leaf kit and no overload. These amounts are subject to change with fuel level and payload, of course. Also, I haven't installed the Warn VR10000 back in the ARB bumper yet.

Last edited:

pittsburgh

tacocat
I'm also running e-class 235/85r16 tires so get a somewhat harsh ride until I air down. I'm not sure the 886 is a good option with e-class tires.

I am also running the 235/85 KO2's and while the ride is some what stiffer than stock, its not any worse than my LJ Wrangler on "C" rate 31's??? I kind of feel like thats the price you pay for having tough off road tires.

K.Ray

Adventurer
I am also running the 235/85 KO2's and while the ride is some what stiffer than stock, its not any worse than my LJ Wrangler on "C" rate 31's??? I kind of feel like thats the price you pay for having tough off road tires.

I agree. It's a small price to pay for having fantastic tires that'll hold up to nearly anything you throw at them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JacobyRusselly