The dieimma of purchasing a new Toyota

benji5280

Gents, Long time lurker, first post. In the midst of a dilemma here. Long winded but stay with me. You guys love this stuff, you know you do.
I am having a real problem deciding what truck to end up with, on top of that, what particular truck in the line or trim level, once I figure out Tacoma or 4 Runner. I have owned 40 vehicles in the last 30 years. Everything from trucks, suv’s, sports cars and motorcycles. I have never put in this much research or hand wringing over a purchase. I guess I felt they were all disposable. Drive them for a few years, sell them, turn in on a lease or whatever.
Never have owned a Toyota, any Toyota. Always wanted a Land Cruiser never pulled the trigger. I can’t pull the trigger on a $85,000 rig and don’t really want to get a $50,000 used rig that is going on 6 to 8 years old. I don’t want a 10 to 15 year old rig for $15 to 20 thousand either. The Equipt postings have a little to do with this.
So, I’m down to a 4 Runner or a Tacoma. I have decided on new, around here (front range Colorado) the used ones are within striking distance of a new one. I don’t really see the point of saving 3 to 5 thousand dollars on a used one with 20 to 30 thousand miles on it vs a new one. This is also a truck that I plan to have for some time to come. I am getting close to retiring and really don’t feel like I will be trading in and out of cars, can’t afford it either. This truck does not have to be a daily driver. I have a sedan for city and highway driving with work and the family. This new rig will probably do a little skiing and what not.
My main passions and what I spend my spare time doing is fly fishing and bird hunting. Both require some significant travel on the interstate, then smaller and smaller roads, getting down to dirt and often the last mile or 100 is 4x4, dirt, lose rock, you name it, then sometimes completely off road through crop fields and farm and ranch ruts that they call roads more like trails and paths. I also launch a raft and or a drift boat off a trailer, then you have to recover it. The put ins and take outs are often very crude, if you didn’t know it was a put in, or take out you wouldn’t even notice it.
I have a jeep wrangler that does some of this duty now but it is not a highway car, very loud, very busy, and not geared properly for much of anything in my opinion. They really are almost worthless unless all you do is wheel and you don’t take much in the way of equipment. Not much room and not very comfortable in a nut shell. The Jeep is good for my missions of 30 miles from the house in the mountains of central Colorado. Much more than that and I have to wear my shooting range ear muffs. The gas mileage vs performance delivered, is a joke. Don’t hate on me jeep guys, I think Jeeps are great if all you do is wheel and that is the passion, you do a ton of work to get them to the point that you can really wheel them. Jeep Wranglers are just not for me.
What I need is a truck that is capable of handling 500 to 800 mile highway drives with equipment for fishing and hunting, fishing rods, guns, decoys, clothing, dog and dog kennel, that kind of thing. The pay load needs to be secure on some level and in addition to 10 to 16 hour highway drives, it has to be able to go that last 5 or 100 miles, be it the farmers ruts, a high Colorado mountain, unimproved pass, Arizona quail hunting grounds or New Mexico elk hunting.
I do not intend to camp out of it, I might pull a 3000 to 4000 lbs camper someday . I would like to hang a 275 lbs motor cycle off a rack in the back once in a while. I’m not looking to outfit it as some kind of doomsday prepper rig.
So, this is what I want and will do with it. I would guess your all in agreement that a Toyota 4 Runner or Tacoma is a good choice.
Now what trim level. I am of two minds here. Buy the base model of either one and then take it to a place like Slee Off Road, in Golden, Co. (less than a mile from my office) have an OME suspension and 3” lift with heaver springs etc., a bumper and winch installed and some extra lighting or buy the Off Road TRD model and just have them put on a bumper and winch and that’s about it.
Seems like a guy would almost be better off buying an SR in the Taco and having the work done by a Slee, than buying up in to a $38,000+ Off Road Model and then breathing on it a little more with some mods.
A Taco would most likely need a topper or Truck cap to keep things secure and dry.
That would leave the 4 Runner, same basic question about trim levels, does a guy get a Trail addition with KDSS and all that or go with a base level SR5 and do a build from there?
The Taco has the new motor, drum brakes, is a tuck, has a c frame, the 4 runner has the fully boxed frame, disk brakes, fully enclosed, older motor. Seems like they both have their calling cards, either one would be a good choice but if a guy was going to do this one time, what would he do?
Keep in mind that I don’t wheel for the sake of wheeling, I do need some of the advantages of having a Equipt type rig but don’t intend to sleep in it and use it as a camper (water system, refrigerator system, duel batteries, hot water, cooking platforms and propane storage, and on and on) but do like the advantages of a robust vehicle with options to haul light weight trailers up to a small camper or motor cycle, some extra lighting, and have all of this in a truck that I can hop in and drive to West Yellowstone, Montana, or Pierre, South Dakota, without feeling like I have been in a blender for 10 hours or used a metric ton of gas.
Tacoma or 4Runner, stock and build it up a bunch, or upgrade and build it up a little.

Thank you, Mark

Styer

Adventurer
I bought my 2015 4Runner exactly a year ago and was deciding between the Tacoma(2015 not the new gen) and the 4Runner. Both new of course because of the same reasons you listed. I too felt that If I bought a Tacoma then a topper was needed. I ended up with a Base SR5 4runner because that was what I could afford. IF I did it over again I would probably go for the Trail Trim WITHOUT KDSS to get the rear locker. Though I haven't yet needed a rear locker while using ATRAC. Even though I haven't used them yet I did get the 3rd row option because kids are on the horizon. Something that wasn't available in the trail trim. Basically, for me, it came down to the fact that I already have an older 2WD 94' T100 reg cab long bed pickup that I use for hauling stuff around my land and to and from the home improvement store. So it made way more sense to get the fully enclosed 4Runner. those 5 foot beds on the newer midsize trucks seem useless to me.

Dalko43

Explorer
Not really sure what your main question is and what feedback you are looking for. Could you be more specific?

This being the Toyota section, you'll probably get mostly affirmation on your choice of 4runner or Tacoma. IMHO, neither is really ideal for hauling/towing heavy cargo loads for long distances. Both have mediocre fuel economy and somewhat anemic engines to begin with and, when you start loading them up and towing, the mpg and engine performance goes downhill. So if you really are keen on getting a camper eventually, and you plan on towing it on a regular basis, I might look at a full-sized pickup (Tundra maybe) or even a 3/4 ton pickup with a diesel engine...a diesel sounds like an overkill, but the newer ones can get 21+ mpg highway and your mpg won't degrade nearly as much when it comes to towing. You'll also have more space for your dog, firearms and gear.

If you want nothing to do with the full-sized and 3/4 ton diesel pickup's...I'd look at the Tacoma before the 4runner. The 4runner, though spacious, gets cramped real quickly when you start packing in firearms, camping gear, and dogs....the Tacoma will definitely give you an advantage with all the storage space in the bed. I love my 4runner, but packing my long rifle, my dog (mine is 96lbs, so bigger than most) and even a few pieces of camping gear pretty much leaves with only one free passenger seat up front, as all the other seats/spaces are taken up...a roof rack might alleviate some of that, but you can only throw so much weight up there.

As for new vs used...this gets argued to death all over the internet...my personal belief is that $ wise, buying used makes more sense in most situations, including this one. If you do your research, you can find 2010-2012 limited and sr5's for 20%-25% off msrp...haven't checked tacoma used prices recently, but with the new tacoma coming out, they're likely to see a slight hit. If you are planning on putting mods into your vehicle as soon as you buy it, the value proposition of buying used makes even more sense, since you're likely to replace some parts/items that are already somewhat used and/or worn out versus replacing brand new components on a brand new vehicle. But that whole issue gets very subjective with the pro's/con's of buying new vs used...at the very least if you do buy new, you're likely to see some good resale value when you decide to part ways with it.

Last edited:

Dances with Wolves

aka jk240sx
TL;DR. Buy a taco with a shell. Throw dirty stuff & stinky dogs in back. Beware of drum brakes & c channel frames though. I bought used. a '13 TRD OR w/25K in 7/14 for $28.5K and it's fully loaded. Buying used takes patience.

Dalko43

Explorer
TL;DR. Buy a taco with a shell. Throw dirty stuff & stinky dogs in back. Beware of drum brakes & c channel frames though. I bought used. a '13 TRD OR w/25K in 7/14 for $28.5K and it's fully loaded. Buying used takes patience.

Was that a joking reference to an another thread that got out of control? ;)

Agree with your advice. Also to keep in mind for the OP's intended use: carrying around an animal carcass is pretty simple with a pickup; with a 4runner, its bit more involved. You can buy a tow hitch carrier which may work (depending on the size of the animal) or you can quarter up the animal and throw it in large rubbermaid container in the back...either way a pickup definitely makes things a lot easier for hauling around harvested animals.

bkg

Explorer
Never towed with our 2015 4Runner. Our 2010, which the 2015 replaced, actually towed better than my gen2 Tacoma. I was impressed.

If utility was deamed to be the same for both - in your mind and for your needs - I would get the 4Runner in a heartbeat with no hesitation. I personally think it's better built than the truck line, by comparing my wife's 4Runner to the same year Tundra that I drive.

ChrisWH

If you're doing that much driving, I'd get the one that was the most comfortable to drive. For me, it would be the 4runner.

I think the only benefit for you & the Tacoma is that you get a good separation between the dirty things & the clean things. If you don't mind dirtying your interior, then the 4runner offers a warm place for the dogs & a (little) added security for your guns & poles.

Adventurous

Explorer
I got the SR5 Tacoma because of what you mentioned; it makes little sense to spend extra for the suspension upgrades that come with the Off Road edition (the locker and additional smarts would be nice though) if you are just going to replace it all. Beware that if you did go down the TRD package route the suspension is not suited for the additional weight of a bullbar and winch.

The hunting requirement would have me personally leaning towards a pickup truck. The additional space with a topper is very nice to have. Any reason you are not considering a Tundra?

And being on the Front Range myself I can empathize with the used vs. new choice. I went new for the same reasons you pointed out, it wasn't worth saving a few thousand for a several year old truck with 30K on it.

Danimal

Adventurer
Going to share my experiences, perhaps they'll give some insight. Your needs sound a bit different than mine, but there are similarities.

I've had a 2011 Tacoma TRD O/R and now a 2015 4Runner Trail. I didn't use the bed much, unless I had the soft topper on it, and even then, I didn't need much of the bed space for most trips. What I needed was more cabin space, so I realized I had no use for a pickup.

The 4Runner is a much shorter wheel base, which I like. It is also coil sprung with a boxed frame, and I much prefer the ride over the long flexy Tacoma frame and leaf springs. I've never worried about dirty interior; it cleans up well. Mine is still caked in mud (which seems to horrify everyone else since it's a fairly new vehicle) from a trip to Utah. 2hrs of work and it'll be back to new. There are plenty of good floor mats, cargo protectors, seat covers, etc for muddy feet, clothes, or dogs. You can also do as I do, and put stuff on the roof when more storage is needed or you have things (fuel and trash in my case, and sometimes a child) that you don't want inside.

Dan

Last edited:

Owyhee H

Adventurer
I think the newer 4runners are better built than the Tacoma (still owned a tacoma) but haven't driven the newest Taco. For your purposes I would get the Tacoma, base or SR5, and put a shell on it. Dont take it to Slee and farkle it out until you find out what you need, you probably wont need much. Some better tires, a shell, gas, and go.

When I purchased my Tacoma, 2011, I was discouraged by the used car prices and so bought new. I never regretted that decision with that vehicle. I do however now drive a 2006 Tundra and couldn't be happier......

GATacoma

I traded in a 2014 Tacoma ORDC with 21k mi for a 2016 4Runner Trail w/o KDSS. Night and day improvement! The two were priced similarly when I purchased them, but the 4Runner is hands down so much better day-to-day. For starters, I noticed real fast a lot of small items, albeit relatively minor if on their own, that add up to making the 4Runner feel more substantial and a better value like:
a more powerful 4.0
auto ********** up windows! (my 99 4Runner had auto up windows...my 2014 Tacoma...auto down driver only. Seeing cost cutting like this in the Taco was such a pet peeve of mine)
ambient lighting on the center console at night
hood struts
better NVH
integrated antenna (i.e. not a 4 foot stick that should be on a $14k Mitsubishi Mirage)
standard tow package
4-wheel disc brakes with 17" rims
better rear suspension (my Tacoma had a squeaky rear end that could never be fixed)
rear seat AC vents
more upscale interior (neither scream high class though...)
free 'bed cap'

The Tacoma starts in the low-mid 20's, while the 4Runner is around low-mid 30's. I strongly believe the higher entry price of the 4Runner is why it feels/functions/acts more refined than the Taco.

I fly fish and mountain bike in GA, and my off roading is similar to what you described. That being said, both will support your needs when you hit the dirt. For my taste, I prefer the security of having all gear and luggage locked inside the cabin, versus the benefit of a bed.

I also can't fathom towing anything beyond 4k lbs for either vehicle, even though the Taco is rated at 6.5k+ and the 4Runner at 5k. My V8 4Runner struggled when loaded with about 4.5k, so I don't know where the 4.0 in the Tacoma is getting it's extra oomph to support another 2k of capability.

Lastly, you hit the nail on the head with a Wrangler...it's a very one-dimensional vehicle. And it comes with that 'stellar' Chrysler reliability no one talks about. The only redeeming factor of a Wrangler is knowing the resale value is incredibly high.

Clutch

<---Pass
Not really sure what your main question is and what feedback you are looking for. Could you be more specific?

This being the Toyota section, you'll probably get mostly affirmation on your choice of 4runner or Tacoma. IMHO, neither is really ideal for hauling/towing heavy cargo loads for long distances. Both have mediocre fuel economy and somewhat anemic engines to begin with and, when you start loading them up and towing, the mpg and engine performance goes downhill. So if you really are keen on getting a camper eventually, and you plan on towing it on a regular basis, I might look at a full-sized pickup (Tundra maybe) or even a 3/4 ton pickup with a diesel engine...a diesel sounds like an overkill, but the newer ones can get 21+ mpg highway and your mpg won't degrade nearly as much when it comes to towing. You'll also have more space for your dog, firearms and gear.

If you want nothing to do with the full-sized and 3/4 ton diesel pickup's...I'd look at the Tacoma before the 4runner. The 4runner, though spacious, gets cramped real quickly when you start packing in firearms, camping gear, and dogs....the Tacoma will definitely give you an advantage with all the storage space in the bed. I love my 4runner, but packing my long rifle, my dog (mine is 96lbs, so bigger than most) and even a few pieces of camping gear pretty much leaves with only one free passenger seat up front, as all the other seats/spaces are taken up...a roof rack might alleviate some of that, but you can only throw so much weight up there.

Benji, Dalko is spot on. Long time Toyota owner here...I love my Tacoma for everything but traveling, great little truck, but you run out of room for gear real quick. I have a SUV as well which is a touch better for cargo volume than a 4Runner, it is even worse for fitting gear into. You're probably better off with a fullsize. If you're dead set on a Toyota get a Tundra, it will kill you on mileage though.

I would go check out the F150's too....take a day and go test drive everything back to back.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
I would never buy new for a non-daily driver. Heck, I wouldn't even buy new for a daily driver any more. That's just way too much investment to take out there in the world. I'd look for examples that cost about half of new, maybe a 4th-gen 4runner with the 4.0 (I don't like timing belts).

ghostingrey

I put dead deer in the back of my 4runner all the time. It's not really a big deal. Lay down a tarp or two and toss them in there.

Clutch

<---Pass
I would never buy new for a non-daily driver. Heck, I wouldn't even buy new for a daily driver any more. That's just way too much investment to take out there in the world. I'd look for examples that cost about half of new, maybe a 4th-gen 4runner with the 4.0 (I don't like timing belts).

Depends...can't really put a price on piece of mind, a vehicle is less likely to break down when it is new. Used vehicles are kinda a crap shoot, just because they are a Toyota, doesn't mean they were taken care off.

With Ford's deep discounts....dang hard not to look at a F150 over a Tacoma...sub $30K in my area.

http://www.corwinfordnampa.com/new/...a0a0002001c7a81555740b7.htm?searchDepth=2:164

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad