Thinking of building my 10 foot bolar...

nutpantz

Observer
I've got a 10 foot fiberglass bolar trailer that really has no ground clearance for the offroad trails I go follow when I go camping(it can't weight more than 750-1000 lbs).and many of my camping friends have moved over 1000 km away.
I'm going to a friend's house for a few weeks in the summer and since he is a professional welder I am taking the bolar to rebuild the frame so it's more useful to me. (And since I an buying the beer he can weld after I cut and fit)
I'm thinking of extending the frame 8 to 10 inches wider than the body on either side and adding a shelf for fuel and water cans.I'm also thinking to widen the axle to match the extra width of the frame (about 7.5 feet total width), going to a 15 inch rim and 29 inch tires from the 180/75/13 it has now.
Is that getting to wide to tow behind a mid sized truck?
I would like to extend the front with a two foot deck for a motorcycle (500lbs) or whatever else, and maybe a flip up extended deck on the back for another motorcycle, pedal bikes, tool box or whatever else may go there.
I also an thinking of adding a roof rack with supports from the frame so it will have the strength to support a canoe or other boat, maybe a luggage box, spare tires (2), and a high lift Jack (and other yard tools)
(But not to much so it's too heavy)
I'm planning on using 12 feet 2x2 regular walled steel square box tubing with the same 2x2 as cross braces to build the box frame. Then 2x1 for the roof rack and supports.with a little 1x1 for gussets and cross supports.

Is this sounding under built, over built or just about right...
Just looking for some ideas and suggestions.

I don't want it to get too long or big but right now it is very limited as is.with my friends father away I'm packing more into it and on it

written in your mud with my stick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk