Thoughts on making a 2wd van more capable

slager

It's a rainy day up here in Northern California and it seemed like a good day to cruise the Portal. So I have been thinking about ways to improve my 1991 2wd dodge sportsmobile for rough road and more remote exploring. I have my 4Runner for real 4wd so I'm not looking to tear front end off the van and convert it to 4wd at this time. I'd like to take it took Saline valley eventually, I've been there before and found you did not have to do technical 4wd if you didn't want. I didn't run into bad weather when I was there, so that could be a factor.
Mainly I've been thinkin of trying to get more clearance and methods of recovery. First off I'd like to change the tires from the stock 235/75r15 to a 265/70r15 in a mild all terrain, maybe BF Goodrich rugged trails. Installing a front receiver so I could put my multi mount winch on it. It does have a limited slip rear end which is nice. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you much.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    576.3 KB · Views: 56

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
It's a rainy day up here in Northern California and it seemed like a good day to cruise the Portal. So I have been thinking about ways to improve my 1991 2wd dodge sportsmobile for rough road and more remote exploring. I have my 4Runner for real 4wd so I'm not looking to tear front end off the van and convert it to 4wd at this time. I'd like to take it took Saline valley eventually, I've been there before and found you did not have to do technical 4wd if you didn't want. I didn't run into bad weather when I was there, so that could be a factor.
Mainly I've been thinkin of trying to get more clearance and methods of recovery. First off I'd like to change the tires from the stock 235/75r15 to a 265/70r15 in a mild all terrain, maybe BF Goodrich rugged trails. Installing a front receiver so I could put my multi mount winch on it. It does have a limited slip rear end which is nice. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you much.

For backcountry driving like Saline your van should be normally be fine. Saline eats tires, so being able to repair what you got is good, and if there is anything loose / ready to break that road does a really good job of helping you identify the problem. :)

I've seen the road in so smooth that rental cars have come in - even saw a Camaro once. It depends on driver skill and road condition.

The big issue with desert roads like that is if you leave the road you are sunk (literally), so a winch plus land anchor can be pretty useful. I can't remember a time when I needed to use my winch in the desert and didn't also need to manufacture an anchor. I had to bury my spare once, but since then have used a Pull Pal. This is especially important with 2WD because it is so easy to dig in that one driven axle.

slager

Thanks pugslyyy. Totally agree, the roughness of that road will find the weak points. When I took my 4Runner there it shook apart the inner linkages of my driver door and made both the inside and out handles inoperable. I had to crawl out the passenger side the rest of the trip and being 6'6" not easy.
Most likely I'd be going there with another vehicle, probably a small 4wd, to explore from base camp.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
having had a 2wd van and having it stuck MANY times..

good tires..not nessicarily mud/offroad tires but agressive AT tires worked really well goodyear traction AT's

bfgoodrich-commercialtatraction-bsw-jpg-crop-x1000.jpg

winch up front.

learning to air down.

locking rear differential if you can find one to fit.

KYC

Adventurer
I'm in the same boat as you. I have a built 80 series so the van is going to used for light off road camping.

I'm looking to swap from stock to 265/70-15 grabber at2. I like that it is wide.

I also have traction pads. I think they should pull me out of almost everything I put the van into.

Also get a deflator set and 12v compressor to air up.

Lunchbox2

Explorer
Tires and a rear locker is where I'd start.....I've taken a lifted 2wd truck (s10) with a locker and 235/75's through some pretty stupid places.

slager

Great ideas guys. Definitely want a compressor on board, not just for airing up after airing down but to repair tires after you've used your spare. A real locker on the rear would be nice but the Posi will work for now. What AT style tires you all running on your vans? I love my Duratracs on my Yota and have had several sets of Bfgs in the past. I'd like something with load range E or XL but size and model I want doesn't always come in that.

Great ideas guys. I'd like something with load range E or XL but size and model I want doesn't always come in that.

i just put E rated cooper discoverer at-3's on my van, so far, 2 days worth, they're quiet, and ride nice. i looked and they don't make them E rated in the size you want.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Great ideas guys. Definitely want a compressor on board, not just for airing up after airing down but to repair tires after you've used your spare. A real locker on the rear would be nice but the Posi will work for now. What AT style tires you all running on your vans? I love my Duratracs on my Yota and have had several sets of Bfgs in the past. I'd like something with load range E or XL but size and model I want doesn't always come in that.

You're not going rock crawling - as long as the limited slip is pretty tight you should be fine - make sure the friction modifier is in the diff oil, etc. Unless you are in a 0% traction condition (wheel in the air) I wouldn't be too worried about it, especially with a little brake modulation to help it engage.

On board air is very nice - I use it for my seats and horns in addition to airing up tires. You'll have enough room underneath to strap a 5 gallon tank on easy, along with wiring in a compressor - and tanks like that are super inexpensive.

Mojavejohn

Adventurer
I'd have to agree with what's already been said, get a compressor so that you can air your tires down. This is great for adding traction. I've been using the Viar 450P and it airs me up pretty quickly. I also splurged and bought the ARB deflator and love it. It helps at airing down the tires really quickly and easily. I know if it wasn't so easy I wouldn't do it as often. I think that along with a pull pal and winch for the inevitable time's that you'll get stuck and that'll get you where you need to go. Good luck.

Have been thinking about the same issues with my 89 Ford Sportsmobile. Have a 4Runner as well but the van makes camping much more enjoyable for my better half.

KYC

Adventurer
I'd have to agree with what's already been said, get a compressor so that you can air your tires down. This is great for adding traction. I've been using the Viar 450P and it airs me up pretty quickly. I also splurged and bought the ARB deflator and love it. It helps at airing down the tires really quickly and easily. I know if it wasn't so easy I wouldn't do it as often. I think that along with a pull pal and winch for the inevitable time's that you'll get stuck and that'll get you where you need to go. Good luck.

That pull pal is super spendy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk