Time to rebuild my shocks:

I rolled 50K over on my 2017 4Runner coming back from Arizona last week. It is time (actually long overdue...) to rebuild or upgrade my shocks. 80% of the time we are loaded and running 75 mph down the Interstate. The remaining 20% will see us on Forest Service Roads and the like from Big Bend Ranch State Park to British Columbia (nothing really requiring extra travel length or a change of the UCA's).

I am running Stage 1 Icons with heavy Dobinsons springs on the rear. I have been very pleased with their overall performance and would be interested in bolting on a new set front and back, having the first set rebuilt, and set on the shelf as spares. But, I would also be interested in other options: OME BP-51's or their regular shocks, possibly Dobinsons?

Any experienced recommendations?
 
Last edited:

smokeysevin

Observer
Rebuilding them isn't particularly difficult, the parts are pretty inexpensive to do it as well. You basically need a set of soft jaws for the vise, a pin spanner, and regular wrenches. The only kicker is that you need to discharge and recharge the shocks with nitrogen.

Sean
 

BC Adventurist

New member
I am very interested to hear how the Dobinsons compare to the Icons. I'm considering going all out with Icon/Fox/Elka for my 4Runner but there are other ways to spend all that $$$. I spend time on very beat up forestry roads at relatively high speeds, but not jumping whoops in the desert. Let me know how it goes!
 

Forum statistics

Threads
186,241
Messages
2,883,741
Members
226,050
Latest member
Breezy78

Members online

Top