Tire pressure questM416 type trailer with Jeep wheels for long distance highway trip.

rardinger

Question about trailer tire pressure I cannot easily find with forum searching.

I have a Manley ORV trailer (M416 style) with a roof top tent . It has 33 inch BFG M/T KM2 tires (17 inch Jeep wheels) (Same wheel/tire as the Jeep).

I will be moving and will be driving about 2,000 miles with the trailer full but not too heavy. Should be about the same weight as when loaded for a long camping trip.

No off road travels on this trip.

Any suggestions on tire pressure for good road manners?. Previously ran about 28 to 30 PSI without noticing any issues but these were not long trips.

Thanks,

Robert

/dev/ram

/dev/yj tow vehicle
I'd start off with whatever the tire calls for on the sidewall. If the trailer gets too bouncy, you can always lower the pressure. Higher pressure == better gas mileage on a long trip.

rnArmy

Adventurer
There's the chalk method. Load your trailer how you plan on taking it, and then draw a line of chalk across the tread, and record the tire pressure. Drive slowly and straight maybe 20 yards or so (a couple tire revolutions), and check the chalk. If the chalk is worn off just in the center, release a few lbs of air; if the chalk is worn on the outer edges, add a few lbs of air.
Repeat until the chalk is worn evenly across - that is the tire pressure you want. I'm guessing it'll be low 20's.

M35A2

Tinkerer
There's the chalk method. Load your trailer how you plan on taking it, and then draw a line of chalk across the tread, and record the tire pressure. Drive slowly and straight maybe 20 yards or so (a couple tire revolutions), and check the chalk. If the chalk is worn off just in the center, release a few lbs of air; if the chalk is worn on the outer edges, add a few lbs of air.
Repeat until the chalk is worn evenly across - that is the tire pressure you want. I'm guessing it'll be low 20's.

^ This.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner