Tire Question: Carry over from Overland JK topic

kenallwine

Adventurer
So it has been established on the Overland JK topic that this Jeep did indeed have 1.5 - 2" spacers and using 35" KM2s. Based upon this additional information on that topic, it is not a "best practice" to use a 12.5" tire on a 7.5" wheel.

The question now remains: is there an appropriate "narrow" 35" tire that would work with the steel G.C. wheel (17x7.5)? I have yet to find one. I'm looking either for an A/T or M/T tire. The Goodyear wrangler w/ kevlar doesn't have correct narrow size. The BFG KM2 also does not have the right size.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: just out of curiosity, Why do you want 35" tires and do you have the lift, in your wish list, installed

So it has been established on the Overland JK topic that this Jeep did indeed have 1.5 - 2" spacers and using 35" KM2s. Based upon this additional information on that topic, it is not a "best practice" to use a 12.5" tire on a 7.5" wheel.

The question now remains: is there an appropriate "narrow" 35" tire that would work with the steel G.C. wheel (17x7.5)? I have yet to find one. I'm looking either for an A/T or M/T tire. The Goodyear wrangler w/ kevlar doesn't have correct narrow size. The BFG KM2 also does not have the right size.

I've got very big 33" Hankook Dynapros, but with 8" wide ProComps and a 2" lift

I'm using 1.5" spacers to mellow out the "Flare" tire profile

I guess you know that 35" tires open up a new bag of worms--!!

:costumed-smiley-007:bike_rider: JIMBO

kenallwine

Adventurer
:sombrero: just out of curiosity, Why do you want 35" tires and do you have the lift, in your wish list, installed

I've got very big 33" Hankook Dynapros, but with 8" wide ProComps and a 2" lift

I'm using 1.5" spacers to mellow out the "Flare" tire profile

I guess you know that 35" tires open up a new bag of worms--!!

:costumed-smiley-007:bike_rider: JIMBO

Oh yeah....I am currently planning on the AEV Nth degree lift kit.:elkgrin: I'm still a little bit up in the air about the 35s. I'm not sure I want to get into re-gearing right away.

I'm still open to all options.

I'm just doing all my wheel/tire research right now. Nothing will be bought probably until next spring closer to when I need tires.:smiley_drive:

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I've got a JKU Rubi with 4.10 gears and with the 33' tires, it's right on the edge, on freeway travel !!

Oh yeah....I am currently planning on the AEV Nth degree lift kit.:elkgrin: I'm still a little bit up in the air about the 35s. I'm not sure I want to get into re-gearing right away.

I'm still open to all options.

I'm just doing all my wheel/tire research right now. Nothing will be bought probably until next spring closer to when I need tires.:smiley_drive:

I have to hit the OD button (auto) as soon as a hill comes up, now off-road it's wonderful !!

My 33.6" Hankooks are actually 33.2" installed at 32 psi and most 35" tires end up at 34.XX" installed, but not good for 4.10 gears and really bad if you tow a trailer !!

If you have a stick, things get a little better !!

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

dryrock

Check out Nitto

When I was shopping for tires originally, I looked at the Nittos.

They make the Terra Grappler in a approx. 34x11.5 (295/70r18 or 285/70r17 depending on wheel choice. The Trail Grappler is also available in something close to that. There not Land Rover thin, but it's about the best you can do. Can't really find 35x10.5 tires.

njjeepthing

Explorer
I have the new Goodyear Duratrac's and love them so far. Did well on the rocks, and are nice and quiet on the road.

I had them on my 2 door JK before I sold it got the XJ, the JK wore 285's on stock Rubi wheels, with a Tera Leveling kit. No issues with rubbing, it was a 6 speed and on the highway I was getting 21-22mpg, around town 18mpg.

XJ
web.jpg

web.jpg

JK
IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

and for comparison sake, this was my 4 door on 35 BFG Km2's with Tera 2.5 Coil Kit.
web.jpg

kenallwine

Adventurer
I think I have the 3.55 gear in my Sahara. Does anyone know the max tire for those gears? I'm not thinking 33s might be my limit??

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
the same steelie is available in a 16", and you could then go 35/10.50-16 SSR, a bit agressive, but the right combo.
Toyo AT or MT is avail in 34/11.50 or 285/75-17 as well- very good tire.

kenallwine

Adventurer
I just pulled my build sheet out from Jeep. Correction, I have 4.10 gears, Dana 44 rear, Dana 30 front. The build sheet doesn't mention a tow package but It has the factory hitch and wiring so I am guessing it does.

I have the new Goodyear Duratrac's and love them so far. Did well on the rocks, and are nice and quiet on the road.

I had them on my 2 door JK before I sold it got the XJ, the JK wore 285's on stock Rubi wheels, with a Tera Leveling kit. No issues with rubbing, it was a 6 speed and on the highway I was getting 21-22mpg, around town 18mpg.

I'm dying to know why you traded from JK's to the XJ :Wow1:

njjeepthing

Explorer
I'm dying to know why you traded from JK's to the XJ :Wow1:

JK= big monthly payment, XJ = no monthly payment!:victory:

Ken yes, if you have the D44 you have 4:10's.
From experience, my 4 door was an auto with 35's and it was a dog on the highway, ok around town, the 6 speed with 35's on the two door was fine!

kenallwine

Adventurer
Well, I have the auto... Maybe I need to rethink things through... If I went with 35s what would be the correct ratio. 4.88?

C-Fish

Adventurer
...If I went with 35s what would be the correct ratio. 4.88?...

I just installed 4.88's in my WJ. Stock was 3.55.

4.0L, Auto (of course), 33's, bumpers, winch, longarm lift....Heavy vehicle.

Prior, I couldn't use OD on anything but flat ground. Major hills required a shift in 2nd gear to maintain 55mph. Truck was anemic in the acceleration department as well.

Now, I can use OD on all but the big grades. Acceleration is back to an acceptable level. Now I just have to get rid of the driveline vibes...

When you spin your driveshafts almost 1000rpm more at 60mph, (due to taller gears) vibrations that you never new existed rear their ugly head(s)...:Wow1:

Here is a online gear calculator that I used to help me decide between 4.56 and 4.88.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: As I've told you--it all depends on your use/pocket book and patience

I'm running BIG 33" Hankooks on my JKU Rubi and I pull a small camping trailer--I have the 4.10 gears and they're fine !!!

You just have to turn OFF the OD for your auto

If you're changing tire sizes, you HAVE to get an aux cooler, to keep the auto from overheating !!

Mine is fine on-road/off-road, the jeep isn't a Lexus, or BMW

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven