tire size question

nerfherder101

I'm running a stock 2011 Tacoma and wondering how big I can go with tires before it starts affecting the way it drives or I have to start making other changes to accommodate them?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The largest tire you can run without impacting anything is the decal on the driver's side door jamb.

If you change from that (current stock) size then something will change. It may be good or bad, but it will be different.

It would help if you explain what changes you're trying to achieve and what you're trying to avoid. Clearance, fuel economy, rubbing, acceleration/braking are things that will change.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
We would need to know what rim size you have on that truck. 16" or 17"? If you are running a 16" rim, you can fit either a 235/85R16 or 265/75/R16 with no ill effects, aside from loss of acceleration, maybe some ride quality depending on what load range tire you get. Interestingly enough, my speedometer became spot on accurate when I went up to 235/85R16's from the stock 245/70R16's that were on my truck.

You can fit a 255/85R16 on the stock truck but you will get rubbing...

For more info, the 235's are tall and narrow. Really good in mud and slushy snow, they cut through it instead of staying on top of it. In rain and on dirt roads, I find the narrower profile to have less grip. The 265's are really fine in all conditions and the main difference is the 235's weigh less, tend to be cheaper and are slightly taller. I've had both sizes on my trucks in the last 3 years and the 265's are a much better all around tire in my opinion. When I could get the 265's for the same price as the 235's I did it. But I usually go for the cheaper/lighter tire on my 4cylinder truck.

Cheers,
Jorge

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
FWIW, I also run 235/85R16 KO2. My only other size was stock 265/70R16 BFG A/T KO on my 2008 TRD OR. My feeling is similar to Jorge, minimal impact on acceleration and power (it's only 4% larger in diameter than the stock) and my speedometer is right on in that it reads a few percent low. It's built-in overdrive!

No rubbing on anything but I never ran anything other than stock size on stock suspension and I have around 2" of lift now. Ride of my load range E tires is noticeably stiffer (I run them at 32 psi usually) but that's OK since I also don't run a sway bar anymore.

nerfherder101

Right now I'm running 265/65R17 Yokohama Geolander ATS.
They've been fantastic for the past 100,000kms but I'd like to get a bit more clearance out of the next set of tires.

Dances with Wolves

aka jk240sx
I'm running 265/75/16 Hankook DynaPro ATM in LT. Taller than stock. Heavier due to E rated LT but trade off is worth it. No rub anywhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad