tire slippage on the wheel

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Posting here since it happened on my F250. I have been driving 40+ years and wheeled all over North America as well as same number years on bikes all over the globe, and this experience is a first. I have an '11 F-250 with 2.5" spacer on front and add a leaf rear to fit 37s. Bought a set of 37/12.50-17 Goodyear GS-As and mounted on factory wheels- painted. I am not a big GY guy, and have had painted and powdercoated wheels many times. I have put about 6k miles on the set up, and cannot keep them balanced. Tried all weights to inside of the wheel, weights on both sides, stick on weights, Equal, new Equal from SS beads w/ teflon coating, added a dual Bilstein steering stab setup, went back to weights, and still cannot stay balanced. Yesterday, we spent all day balancing, rotating, rebalancing, etc and finally marked the tire on the wheel, and found they are all slipping- some a couple inches, others halfway around. All in a three mile test drive!! So, now we are cleaning all the tires and the wheels, letting them all sit a day or two, and start over. Does anyone know of any kind of agent to make them adhere? Not a glue but something like a stickum like ball players use? Or any other experience with this or any ideas? Thanks a bunch!!
Cheers
Oh, and I have used beadlocks when serious in the dirt and rocks, and really cannot fathom that extreme for DD duties... However, a set of Stauns may be the remedy?!

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
I have had several sets of GoodYears - both old and new MT/R's and Silent Armor A/T's. All of them were difficult to balance to start with, and weren't real round either.

As far as tires spinning on the rim, I've had it happen at lower pressure on the Power Wagon, but not at street pressure.

Perhaps scuffing the bead retention area with a Scotchbrite or 400 grit paper will help.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Hope you don't have 16.5" rims.....

tires should not move like that with normal driving.

Has your wheel guy got one of those pressure balancing machines ? where it applies road pressures

Prove they are bad and contact the manufacturer as that certainly not normal !

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks all- we realize it is not normal, hence the post. And we have removed, cleaned and 'roughed' the contact areas- letting everything sit and dry until tomorrow.
I do not want to run beadlocks on the street, but may consider the Stauns as stated above as I have had good luck with them in the past.
I am not a GY guy either, and this just confirms why. They have been zero help, and have no interest or concern in the matter- just passing the buck. My tire shop on the other hand has been phenominal!!
The wheels are stock 17s.

Any more thoughts/suggestions greatly appreciated...

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
That is interesting. It may be a combination of a small wheel and a big tire bead? It would be interesting to compare the od of the rim surface with some other wheels.

I have had great success over the years using black bead sealant on the inner and outer bead surfaces. Its kinda a rubber gum stuff that you brush on before you seat the beads.

98dango

Expedition Leader
what we use at work is basicly black rubber cement. it works for our 650 hp parts truck.

1stDeuce

Explorer
At my last job, we had a similar issue with production dodge trucks with steel wheels and a heavy goodyear tire that was intended for Mexico. Freshly mounted, they would spin on the wheel bad, causing a few incidents at the plant. (Brakes don't work so well when the tire spins on the rim...)

Turns out the tire lube that was getting used to mount them was not drying or displacing right away, and lube doing what it should, kept the tire from bonding to the rim very well. The secret was to mount them w/o lube, or mount them and let them sit a few days to dry before driving. After either of those, no more slipping.

C

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk