Tires for the Vario 4x4 and whatnot

guglemonster

Hello everyone, it may be premature, with a lot of things going in my life and so on, but it's time to put some facts on my project.

So, having read plenty of topics, I am evaluating the tires options, BEFORE importing any vehicle in Italy, most stupid country in the world fro any kind of vehicle mods/validations.

I am a bit familiar with the 4x4 world, I'm currently traveling with a prado 120, so I know the importance of clearance, good all terrain (mud) tires and better mpg with bigger wheels, therefore the option to stay with the 17,5 is not in the game.

I was considering the fact that I will be travelling 70% of time on the road and, due to the "wrong" characteristic of the vehicle, too tal at 3mt and not wide enough at 2mt plus leaf springs and high center of gravity (my design will consider lowering all below/level with the chassis in terms of heavy/liquid/storage) nontheless the transmission is sturdy, nice reduction and 2 diff locks plus, if I'm lucky enough, two winches (mix system) should allow me a bit of free roaming.

I want to stay below the 5,5/6 tonne limit, light is better than posh in my traveling, but as tires goes in the EU I'm a crying out loud: all are just strett tires !!!

Load must be minumum in the 144 bracket (or 146??) thread pattern must allow for some decent traction and MUST be eithe M+S with the "peak" symbol or even 3PMSF and I'm lost
in the US you have a "new" Bridgestone/Fireston (one company now) Transforce AT2 and I love the design

FS_TransforceAT2.png

maybe a firestone FD 611 M+S 3PMSF 285/70R19.5

s-l1600.jpg

one pirelli otr01n only m+s
_.jpg

one michelin that is supposedly only drive axel

285/70 R 19.5 MICHELIN X MULTI D REMIX 146/144L​

28570195MIXMDR-1.png

otherwise the list of unknown to me brands starts endlessly.

I have seen in many posts the suggestion to move to the 20" MOG wheels, but, as I was also experimenting, finding a not extreme tire and, in case of problem, a spare somewhere in the wordl becomes an issue.

btw, any news on GABO Wheels not approved in Germany by TUV for the inspection and conversion?

thank you all for your help and insight.

Guglemonster

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design