Torsion bar axles v. Timbren (or other)

Kickapoo Tad

One of the major repairs I have to do to the Taxa Tigermoth is replace the axle. The current torsion axle is bent causing the driver side tire to cant out. I have always thought that the Timbre axleless axles looked like the ticket. I like the increased clearance and the independent operation. I then started looking at the torsion axle and besides the clearance issue they do operate independently and maybe I should replace like for like.

It was a comment in another thread that makes it sound like torsion axles aren't even good enough for rougher dirt roads. Having no experience with either I out it out to the forum to educate me!

Attachments

• 20220530_151555.jpg
    20220530_151555.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 26

ScottReb

Adventurer
It really depends on the axle. Schutt makes their trailers with a Dexter torsion and they have built thousands for the military. Timbrens are great and kind of the standard for trailers these days. We use a 3500 HD. But there could be retrofit issues, just have to see what you have underneath and how to mount them. They do what they're supposed to do and are very reasonably priced. See if there is a shop that uses them near your location if you want some help. We'd love to help but you're a bit far for us, :). Good luck

billiebob

Heck, Chrysler was all torsion axles for years..... Torsion. Leaf. Timbren.... Fotd, Chev, Dodge.... all the same. Pick yer flavour....

This is a Hemi Coronet on Bring a Trailer today.. It might hit 7$ Figures with a torsion bar suspension.

1966_dodge_coronet_500_hemi_16339195058495d565ef61966_dodge_coronet_500_hemi_16339195055ef66e7...jpg

Kickapoo Tad

Thank you for the replies. I was set on Timbren but now I'm not 100% sure!

Taxa uses Timbren on their "Overland" model but I haven't seen one in person so I don't know if the reinforce the frame/chassis.

I have a connection at eTrailer who has offered to do the installation if they can video the process. Even though I wanted to do it myself this is very tempting!

trailboundt4r

Huge fan of the Timbren setup. I've installed them on two trailers and it is an absolute breeze. The ride is super nice, especially off-road if you like to take it off the beaten path a bit more. Just a no brainer option IMO. Plus they have one hell of a warranty and great reputation if you did have any problems.

VinmanP

Thank you for the replies. I was set on Timbren but now I'm not 100% sure!

Taxa uses Timbren on their "Overland" model but I haven't seen one in person so I don't know if the reinforce the frame/chassis.

I have a connection at eTrailer who has offered to do the installation if they can video the process. Even though I wanted to do it myself this is very tempting!
I would jump ALL OVER that offer!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad