Toyota Diesels...Specifically 2H or?

blupaddler

Conspirator
Does anyone have any experience working on or with the 2H Toyota diesel? There just doesn't seem to be as much information out there regarding the 2H, compared to the 3B which seems to be very plentiful.
How difficult are parts to find, in the US? I understand there will be difficulties, but that would be part of the fun. :shakin:
Any other suggestions comments would be greatly appreciated.

From what I have been reading this shares the same block with the 12HT. Is this correct? Do they share any other parts?

Also if anyone on here has a 2H I could come and browse/drive that would be beneficial.

:arabia:

Anyone want to buy an 80?
:sport_box

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I've worked a tiny bit on H diesels... the PO of Cruiser Outfitters ran a 2H in his FJ45, he later modified it to essentially a 12HT using OE parts and custom machining on the block. The motor is now at another locals place, getting ready for an install into a different FJ45 so I could get some pics if needed. (He might even be an ExPo member?)

Andre (dieselcruiserhead) had a 2H in his HJ60, he also turbo'ed it but using an aftermarket turbo. He likely has more experience tweaking with them out of all the folks I know.

rstl99

Adventurer
Robb,
As you probably know, the 2H (6 cyl) was only sold in Canadian Land Cruisers in 2 years (86 and 87 I believe). Prior to that, the more common 3B (4 cyl) was sold for at least 5 years, in BJ60 and short wheel models. That being the case, 3B engines (and used engine parts and ancillaries) are indeed more plentiful, or easier to get, than for the 2H (in North-America I mean, because in Australia I believe the 2H was available for many more years, so parts are probably more readily available there). 3B parts are probably cheaper too, there being more supply out there (in used parts I mean, not sure how it works out with new parts).

I'm not sure about commonalities with the 12HT, but a trip to IH8MUD.com forums should give you lots of information. For example, on the 3B vs 2H issue:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=102585
http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=133781

I owned a BJ60 (3B) once, but never a 2H, though have driven a couple. The 2H is smoother, a bit more horsepower, not as "truck-like" feel as the 3B, bit more "refined". The 3B however, has the reputation of being more rugged, more "industrial" in design and construction, and longer-lived. An add-on turbocharger is possible for both engines, but from what I read a 3B will accept the added stresses of a turbo better than a 2H, especially if the engine has a fair amount of mileage on them. All things being equal (driving conditions, maintenance habits, etc.), a 3B will typically last longer than a 2H before requiring a rebuild, so if you buy a high-mileage truck, your chances are probably better to have the engine last longer with a 3B than a 2H.

Hope this helps. Good luck in your search.
--Robert

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I have a 2H in my 1988 TroopCarrier. I don't remember how muck mileage but I think something around 275000 km. No problem at all. Power is MUCH better than the 3B I had in my BJ60 1984. But it's not a race car...

I have not had to do any repair on it so I can't really tell you much about ease of maintenance and such. But it looks pretty simple.

cruiser guy

Explorer
I'm told that the 3B and 2H are found in some Toyota fork lift trucks so that might be a source of info too.

The 2H is essentially the same as the 12H-T with some significant differences to accomodate the turbo on the 12H-T.

I'm not convinced that the 2H is much more powerful than a 3B.

KMR

Adventurer
I will admit that I am quite biased: but, if you are considering a swap, my advice would be to look at the 1HZ motor over the 2H.
The 3B is a work horse with a loyal following, but even the loyalists will admit that it is a bit small for an expedition rig.
The 2H and 12HT are good motors, but as has been stated, were not offered at all in N.A. (in the case of the 12HT) or for a very short period of time (in the case of the 2H) [actually, was the 12HT ever available in C.A.? I will have to check]
Any way, none of the above are still manufactured, they have been replaced by the 1HZ and subsequent variants. The 1HZ is still rolling off the assembly line, was available in a variety of vehicles and therefore has strong worldwide parts support. That includes North America, many of the parts are available from your favorite Toyota dealer, and ENS in C.A. has full support since the motors are standard issue mine equipment.
And possibly most important, a 2H and especially a 12HT, will cost almost the same as a similar condition/milage 1HZ. This may be hard to believe, but, 12HT are rareish, and getting rarer by the day, engine trany combo will easily be as much as a good 1HZ. The 2H can be had very cheap, but to find one in as good of a condition as you can find a 1HZ is hard, and if you did, the price would be getting close to the 1HZ anyway.

Just a heads up if you are looking at the swaps, I know this was not your question, but keep the newer motors in mind. I looked at all the options and it just seemed that the 1HZ was a shoe in.

One other note, get a turbo, it is soooooo much fun.:smiley_drive:

blupaddler

Conspirator
KMR said:
I will admit that I am quite biased: but, if you are considering a swap, my advice would be to look at the 1HZ motor over the 2H.
The 3B is a work horse with a loyal following, but even the loyalists will admit that it is a bit small for an expedition rig.
The 2H and 12HT are good motors, but as has been stated, were not offered at all in N.A. (in the case of the 12HT) or for a very short period of time (in the case of the 2H) [actually, was the 12HT ever available in C.A.? I will have to check]
Any way, none of the above are still manufactured, they have been replaced by the 1HZ and subsequent variants. The 1HZ is still rolling off the assembly line, was available in a variety of vehicles and therefore has strong worldwide parts support. That includes North America, many of the parts are available from your favorite Toyota dealer, and ENS in C.A. has full support since the motors are standard issue mine equipment.
And possibly most important, a 2H and especially a 12HT, will cost almost the same as a similar condition/milage 1HZ. This may be hard to believe, but, 12HT are rareish, and getting rarer by the day, engine trany combo will easily be as much as a good 1HZ. The 2H can be had very cheap, but to find one in as good of a condition as you can find a 1HZ is hard, and if you did, the price would be getting close to the 1HZ anyway.

Just a heads up if you are looking at the swaps, I know this was not your question, but keep the newer motors in mind. I looked at all the options and it just seemed that the 1HZ was a shoe in.

One other note, get a turbo, it is soooooo much fun.:smiley_drive:

Thanks for the advice...Good 'ol California and the CARB will not let me do a 1HZ transfer.

And not to get too much off track... But are you so partial b/c you have a 1HZ?

edit: answered my own question by searching. So how is your swap coming along...

And in full-disclosure I should admit I am considering a 1987 HJ60. Thus the line of questioning.
:shakin:

Last edited:

esh

Explorer
I agree with most of what has been said above. I have 2 3Bs in '81 and '82 BJ42s and they turn the 40 into absolute mtn goats. But the power isn't there. It's more of a weekend fun motor than something you'd want for a distance rig. I've driven and wheeled the '81 from Oregon to Moab and though it did fine, I would rather have the 12H-T (or newer) 6-cylinder motors from Toyota for that kind of a run. The 3B is great for bopping around the mountains and woods around here- less-loaded day trips and the like.

Forgot to take the wheel from Kevin and see how a 1HZ/H55f compares, but driving a loaded down and outfitted Germany-imported HJ61 12H-T/H55f felt really sweet, on trails and off. Much smoother line of motors. The 3B felt about the same whether in a BJ42, BJ70 or BJ75 (the 75 was a little heavier though with the HD mining bed and huge leaf packs).

(I don't think HJ61s ever came to NA).

Not all that sure a 2H is much more powerful than a 3B either, but haven't had a chance to drive one and compare. Gearing and tire size has a lot to do with the experience too, so apples to apples is hard to find.

esh

Explorer
blupaddler said:
Thanks for the advice...Good 'ol California and the CARB will not let me do a 1HZ transfer.

That's a real shame.

blupaddler said:

Having seen, and spent a decent amount of time listening to that motor and watching the truck behave, it's been the most appealing choice I've seen. The 4bt(or 4bta) is the only other one I've been interested in, and that motor has more of the 3B rattle than the smoother Toyota 6 cylinder line.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
blupaddler said:

They won't let you swap a cleaner burning, newer motor into the 60 but they will let you do an older one? What am I missing here?

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
There you go:

3B:
Horsepower: 93 at 3600 rpm. Torque: 159 ft-lbs at 2200 rpm ...

2H:
Horsepower: 103 at 3600 rpm. Torque: 177 ft-lbs at 2000 rpm ...

Ref:
http://toyotadyna.tripod.com/id16.html

93/103 : about 10% more horsepower
159/177: about 10% more torque.

I swear it does feel like a whole lot more...

KMR

Adventurer
blupaddler said:
Thanks for the advice...Good 'ol and the CARB will not let me do a 1HZ transfer.

edit: answered my own question by searching. So how is your swap coming along...

Ah, that is too bad.
The 2H is a good motor, they sound good and you can dig up the parts. If you are not considering it as a swap, go for the one that came bolted in there.
And yup, I slapped the 1HZ in there a took it out for a 7000 mile test drive.

And Ken, the offer was there to take the wheel, but I did not want to press it since you still had to drive all the way home behind the ol' 3FE. :elkgrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad