Trade/Sell/etc 2008 F-350 6.4 Diesel - Heavily Modified with Camper

pdsftw

Adventurer
Trade/Sell/etc 2008 F-350 6.4 Diesel - perfect for a camper

Current Asking Price: $32000

Sold the camper and now just have the truck. This is a great vehicle and would be perfect to drop a FWC Eagle on top and hit the road.

Please email me with any questions: philipsterling at gmail dot com

Crummy cell phone pictures of the truck as it stands without the camper:

9Oej9M3.jpg

Yt6zxkz.jpg

Previous pictures with the camper - but should give you a better idea of the truck as well.

u9eTIbb.jpg

GXIZy75.jpg

kaSCQD1.jpg

6OZ3CPG.jpg

Apv6ZPX.jpg

Well, after putting about 12,000 miles over three trips on this truck I traded a forum member (Traded the Nemo Tacoma), I wanted to post a listing here and put the feelers out. Yeah, I totally have vehicle ADD, but it's fun and I am always looking for something new.

So, basically after selling my business, I am focused on traveling for the next 12-18 months. When I listed the Nemo Tacoma, it was because I wanted something more suited to extended travel (ie, a pop-up camper, etc). In February of this year, I drove the Tacoma up to Idaho and traded it for this Ford. It's been a really fun ride and I have done quite a bit of work to the engine and accessories. So, why am I listing it? Well, I knew this from the start, but it's definitely much more truck than I need. I really dont do any serious off road stuff - I mainly travel on highways and forest roads - stuff that you can realistically drive a rental car over (just make sure to get the insurance). The lift, the 37" tires, etc....they are overkill really. I bought the truck for the camper aspect and in that sense it's been great - it's really easy for me to live out of for 2-3 weeks at time with my bikes, fishing gear, etc

What am I looking for next? Well, I am open to ideas on trades and obviously open just to sell it straight up. Converted Sprinter Vans, Sportsmobiles, Fuso Trucks, Truck/Camper Combos, Defender 110s, Built Land Cruisers - worst I could say is no.

I am not totally ruling out keeping this truck. I will be driving and using it regularly in the mean time. If it doesnt sell - what I might do is lower the suspension a bit, and put a utility bed on there with a new camper. But before I do that, I wanted to put the feelers out and see if there were any interesting trades/deals/etc in it's current state

And yeah, I know some people will be rolling their eyes on this, but I enjoy swapping rigs out (and I always leave them better than when I bought them) - I guess it's something of a hobby by now and I am really getting a feel for what I do and dont want in a travel rig. In fact, next up, I am almost done restoring a Ural, which I will be touring around with in late Summer/Fall - look for a post on that soon.

So, here are the upgrades/modifications/service done on this beast of a truck. I will post up some good pictures of everything once I get it cleaned up and the weather clears (who knew it would be constantly raining in Texas at the end of June).

Here are some pictures from the PO in it's various states: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/75174-Off-Road-escape-pod!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The platform is a 2008 F350 FX4 4X4 6.4 twin turbo Diesel with all recalls performed - loaded window sticker (which I think I have) was 56k

General Specs:
Black Leather
Heated seats
Power everything
4x Uplifter switches (on wired to the front HIDs and the other the side LEDs)
Sunroof
Winter package - dual insulated batteries
Removed all FX4 stickers
Bed Liner - rhino liner type (not sure if it's factory or what brand name really)

Accessories:

8in Fabtec lift- $1100
Custom track bars in the rear(horrible axel wrap without them)- $800
Airbags with wireless controller/moniter- $1200

DPF delete
SS Bullet exhaust- nice sound, and keeps the egt's down- $650
AFE intake- $350
Sparten Tuned with Dash DAQ with three selectable tunes (in the process of updating this to the newest tunes) $1200
51 gallon titan fuel tank - Getting 12-17 MPG you can do the math - $1100
17" MT wheels - painted black with some paint chipping - $700
2" billet wheel spacers- $400
CB Radio in the cab
Fabtec dual steering stabilizers-$200
Warn front Bumper-$3000
Warn 16.5k winch- $2300
Aluminess rear bumper with baja box- $3800
Rigid led's on the side of camper - wired to factory uplifter switch - gives great wide/side lights-$180
Eclipse NAV system - not the most fancy but it does have really extensive maps - I have never been on a road it didnt recognze -$2300
kenwood 5 channal amp- $700
Polk 12"sub - $250
infinty door speakers- $300
2001 Sunlite Eagle SB 6.5 bed- original sticker says $10900 - I reupholstered the camper totally and pulled out some of the frilly window dressings and stuff. It had all the tacky RVer crap in there - I like plain and simple.
Frame mounted tie downs for camper
200 Watt solar up top - never had and issue with keeping enough juice in the battery for me using it. Really the battery just runs the lights and the water pump when you need it as well as any accessories you want to plug in- $800
1 AGM battery in camper. There is space to run two and the solar charge controller can handle two batteries, but I have never needed more than one.
2k Power-sin inverter- $300
2k powermate gen - this was a cheap generator included with the sale. I have never tried to use it but I guess you could use it if you wanted to run the AC while boon-docking.

Camper Details:
2001 Sunlite Eagle SB 6.5 bed
I went over the exterior and resealed just about any seam you can think of. Doesnt look factory perfect, but it's definitely robust.
New Upholstry throughout
Sink with pump
Lots of windows/light
Two-burner stove
3 way Dometic fridge. I run it on propane usually and it lasts and lasts. I seem to get about 2 weeks use out of one 20lb tank - that's with some cooking (once a day) on the stove top.
Probably about a 10-15 gallon water tank for the sink.
No hot water - that's one thing I would add - I have been using a solar shower.
30 exterior plug for shore power.

Here is what I have done since owning the truck:

At 98K Miles:
Full EGR Delete
New Oil Cooler
New Water pump and front plate cover
new rotors, pads and calipers all around
ARP head studs
New Head Gasket
New oil cooler
In-line coolant filtration.
New y-pipe exhaust manifold - flex-line was cracked in the old one
All new engine fluids when this was done
Put the engine through all the diagnostic tests - pumps, injectors, etc etc.
This service cost was about $6k - done by a good local independent mechanic who specializes on Fords.

At 100k Miles:
Converted the front windows to a 'legal' tint for Texas $100
All 4 doors were double dynamated for sound deadening. This with the new tires cut the road noise a TON. $400
HID KC lights up front - Had these from a previous truck
New Toyo Open Terrain MT 37x13.5x17 x 4 $2000 - warranty from 4Wheel parts on this - free tire rotation every 5K
LED reverse lights - nice to have some extra light off the back for reversing the beast
LED License plate light
HID headlights wired through a separate relay - OEM headlights sucked.

Diff/Trans/Transfer fuilds changed at 85K according to PO - checked by my local shop and they looked good.

Known issues/cosmetics:

- Interior is killer nice. Everyone who gets in the truck comments on that.
- The fender flares have cracks in some places (inside the wheel well, etc).
- I do not have the tailgate. PO said he would give it to me as it was in a location different from where I picked it up, but I havent heard about it. Regardless, you cant use the tailgate with the camper and Aluminess bumper.
- One of the cab top market lights broke - I plugged it up and will fix it - simple screw in deal.
- The camper is not pretty/perfect but it's solid and everything works - it's about 15 years old so it does show some age even thought it's been taken care of and updated.
- I noticed that some chrome is peeling off the front grill. I will probably just take the grill off and sand it down to black.
- I'll try and add to this as I remember things...it's really a super clean truck.

Few other notes:

- Currently mileage is sitting at about 110K+ - I dont daily drive this, but I do travel often.
- Probably willing to deliver if you live somewhere interesting and we are trading or you want to pay for my flight home.
- Truck is based in Dallas, TX.

Hmmm, what else....that's about it. If you have any other questions feel free to message me and we can chat on email or the phone.

Price: Obviously things can get all over the place with trades. But I would like to list the truck for $35,000.

Last edited:

Keyne

Adventurer
I liked that truck when it was first posted. GLWS. In regards to your question about whats next... as you mention maybe a converted Sprinter would meet your needs? I have been researching them and have similar requirements (fire roads not real off road). They (Sportsmobile, Outside Van, etc.) seem like a great setup... especially if you want to bring bikes, etc. I like the stealth aspect of them.

pdsftw

Adventurer
I liked that truck when it was first posted. GLWS. In regards to your question about whats next... as you mention maybe a converted Sprinter would meet your needs? I have been researching them and have similar requirements (fire roads not real off road). They (Sportsmobile, Outside Van, etc.) seem like a great setup... especially if you want to bring bikes, etc. I like the stealth aspect of them.

Totally agree with you about the Sprinter Van. Outside Van does some pretty cool stuff - but I cant quite bite into the $100K+ prices! I mean, I waste as much money as the next guy on gear...but that's a hard pill to swallow unless you want to take out a loan, which I really dont. They do seem fairly reliable and drivable - I just want something that takes me to the trailhead with my gear and is comfortable to sleep in day after day in inclement weather.

pdsftw

Adventurer
Been a while since I have been on the forum but I thought I would update the thread with up-to-date info on the truck and add some pictures:

- Since my last post I have done a few more trips. ODO is right at 110K. I did a 5K+ trip through Arizona, up the West Coast, over to the Sierras, down back to Death Valley, over to Zion and then back to Texas. Truck ran perfectly the whole time. From 75 on the highway to high elevation windy roads in the sierras.

- I have updated the tuner to the latest Spartan tunes. Currently running the new 210 tune. Will shortly be changing that to the 210TP, which is a transmission relearn for towing (firmer shifts but better for the life of the torque converter).

- I fixed the marker light up top and coverted all the the lights up top and the side-mirror indicator lights to LED>

- Change the front cabin lights to LED.

- I added a track on the roof for some crossbars.

- Changed the lights inside the camper to LED.

- I took off the AC unit and added a fantastic fan in its place. My reasoning is that the AC only would run when plugged into shore power or if you want to run a generator. I dont want to run a generator and I am really never sleeping next to a 110 outlet haha. The fantastic fan runs on DC (and doesnt use much juice), it's a skylight, and I usually make a point to avoid sleeping somehwere I need to have AC.

- Though it doesnt look slick, I really sealed up everything on the roof and sidewalls of the camper. It has been in numerous huge downpours with the roof down and I have never had leaks. Now, if you leave the tent popped up and you have sideways rain...well...you are going to get some seeping.

- I took out the bench seat in the back for more storage. HUGE space for my gear tubs in there now.
At 109,500 miles I had the following done in addition to new fluids and filters (I charge both fuel and oil filters at every oil change, which I have done every 3500-5000 miles depending):
- Drain and filled the rear diff.
- drain and fill transmission (cleaned filter obviously)
- drain and fill transfer case
- replaced ujoints
- lubed up the drivetrain, front suspension, etc fully.

At the next service I will do the front diff drain and fill.

I have been running Diesel Kleen on most long haul trips at fill up. Yeah, maybe it's a little bit of snake venom, but I rest easier and it does give me a little mileage boost.

- I also had a 2" receiver fabricated on the drivers side swingout on the aluminess (at fairly great expense I might add, haha). It allows me to have a bike rack that will swing out and have great ground clearance. The swingout was really beefed up to accommodate this.

Pictures of the swingout and the camper.

uRRNg3Z.jpg

9sz1hdN.jpg

Inside the camper looking forward with the 'walls' rolled up:

bU0dJKH.jpg

Walls down:

4FpnDMi.jpg

Solar charger readout, thermostat and inverter:

5GiVqm5.jpg

Little storage nook next to the fridge:

0F0m34Q.jpg

Kitchen area:

JAj276m.jpg

Dinette/seating area - I had this recovered with some heavy duty chenille type fabric in a darker gray. Hides stains, abrasion resistant and most importantly gets rid of the tacky RV fabrics they always use. Seriously...who pics RV rabrics????! They are the worst - looks like a cabelas and floral store had a baby who threw up inside most of these things.

k0Tlaev.jpg

Roof - sorry (not really sorry) I didnt clean it off:

1oAIhnF.jpg

The back - some good storage on the sides of the camper inside the truck bed. I keep folding chairs and wet things like wading boots in there.

v6bOWhs.jpg

k0Tlaev.jpg

No real rush on selling this, but I know how long these things take to sell so I just figured I would keep the thread updated. Depending on what happens, I am fine keeping the truck. I might get a new camper for it (I really want a water heater for outdoor showers after bike rides and the solar shower is sometimes lacking haha). I also would probably lower it a bit with something like an Icon 4.5" lift. I just dont need/want 8"...new shocks and springs I am sure would make the ride a little more firm too. Finally, i would love to put a service bed with some storage, but the custom one I got quoted was $7500. A fairly steep price to pay for something that adds weight - plus with the rear bench seats out I have lots of room in the cab. An aluminum service bed....oh man that would be awesome...I shudder to think of the cost...$10K+?

As of now, the price stands at $45K.

pdsftw

Adventurer
All is good man! I have been traveling a lot and putting the camper to use. Headed to Colorado in February for a few months of skiing. Let me know if you come across that tailgate, etc.

pdsftw

Adventurer
Little new year bump. Anyone have trades? LCs, Defenders, G Wagens...

I'm willing to entertain something fun, haha.

Took the rid on a few trips in December to fish and camp - worked like a charm.

pdsftw

Adventurer
Updated price. Asking $40K. I will be traveling and living in Colorado for the next few months. The truck will be staying in Texas for the time being. Mileage is right over 110K. This is a great truck and I have put tons of time and $$ into making it a really nice travel rig.

For those that are thinking about it or have asked, you can likely finance up to $30K on this truck depending on your financial institution. KBB stock in decent condition is $21-24K

Willing to look at some trades if you have something nice - cruiser, defender, etc.

pdsftw

Adventurer
I just replied to a few PMs. Really sorry I havent been more quick on those but I havent been on the site for a few weeks. Best way to contact me is my email: philip.sterling at gmail.com

Here is a picture on a recent weekend trip. You can see a few updates I have made:

- I clean, sanded and painted the side vents and the front grille. The front grille had some minor peeling chrome treatment and I like matte black better. Took everything off, cleaned it all and properly applied multiple coats to everything. I think it makes the truck look a little better and gets rid of that chrome.

byTrJfP.jpg

pdsftw

Adventurer
Bump for the new month. Have a possible trade in the works for a truck under restoration, but wanted to keep the thread fresh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk