Trail/Rock Lights Install

skitime

Observer
I often find myself coming off trails after dark. I have Hella 550 Lights on the front bumper but often wished I had better vision at the side of the trail and along side of the vehicle. I came up with this idea and had time this week to try it. I have not seen anyone else doing this but maybe someone had. I decided to try to mount lights in the side rear view mirrors. That location should give excellent broad lighting. So I went to the junk yard and got two extra mirrors. Cost $10 at the you pull it. Then I went to Walmart and got two 55 watt driving lights. Cost $15. I dismantled the mirrors and found I had just enough space for the lights with only minor trimming to the internal skeleton. I trace the hole needed from the light and used a hole saw to start the hole then filed it to shape. Mounted the light brackets to the bottom of the mirror housing then used some silicon sealant to seal the edges to prevent any noises from the wind. The lights do not restrict adjustment of the mirror in anyway. The mounted direct the lighting downward and outward which should be perfect. They look great and are very bright and I can't wait to mount them but alias the truck is in the shop so I have to wait but I thought I would share my idea. I will post pics of them mounted when I get a chance. Let me know what you think. Thanks

Left mirror with internal frame.

DSC_0061.jpg

Right internal frame with needed material removed.

DSC_0062.jpg

Light mounted to mirror housing.

DSC_0063.jpg

DSC_0064.jpg

Mirror frame remounted with light installed.
DSC_0066.jpg

Front of mirror with light installed

DSC_0068.jpg

DSC_0070.jpg

The completed pair of mirrors

DSC_0073.jpg

DSC_0071.jpg

DSC_0072.jpg

Last edited:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Nice idea and workmanship but uh... driving lights pointed at the ground? I think you'll end up with pretty tight spots. Better than nothing but, flood lights are better.

skitime

Observer
Nice idea and workmanship but uh... driving lights pointed at the ground? I think you'll end up with pretty tight spots. Better than nothing but, flood lights are better.

I tested the light before the installl. and they are not high quality fog/driving lights so they do a good job of flooding the light. I will post pics in the dark when I get them mounted.

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
I believe if you leave them on for an extended period of time you will see smoke! Those lights get hot. Just be careful.

skitime

Observer
It would be cool to do this to foldable mirrors.

Fold them in and have side lights.

I agree. In the US the Sidekick/Tracker have fixed mirrors but in the rest of the world the mirrors are foldable. I have been unable to get the foldable models yet. I haven't found anyone that is willing to ship them over here.

skitime

Observer
I believe if you leave them on for an extended period of time you will see smoke! Those lights get hot. Just be careful.

I tested the lights on the workbench and left them on for an hour. There were no problems from heat and the mirror housing was only warm. I am sure if they were on a moving vehicle with a cooling breeze there would be no problems at all. So we can put the heat discussion to rest at least on my install. I thought of LED lights but with the expense and less light output I feel this is a better solution.

skitime

Observer
LIghts installed

So how did they work? You can be the judge. These pictures were taken at night, some with time exposure so the sky appear somewhat bright. This first pic is to show you the vantage point from above so you can understand the next few pics. These pics show the light pattern.

DSC_00592.jpg

Rock lights only

DSC_00622.jpg

Rock lights and headlights ( I kept the Hella fog lights mounted on the front bumper off. They will fill in the dimmer area in front of the Tracker)

DSC_00672.jpg

Side View from the ground.

DSC_00702.jpg

View from the drivers seat

DSC_00722.jpg

View out the passenger door

DSC_00732.jpg

Front View (Camera is compensating for the bright lights)

DSC_0075.jpg

Side view

DSC_0076.jpg

DSC_0083.jpg

I am very happy with the positioning of the lights. They really light of the side of the Tracker and no glare is visible from the drivers or passenger seats. If I say so myself, I think they are perfectly positioned for night trails.

Last edited:

dyogim

Explorer
Nice!!! I have two pairs of the same lights. A pair in the front wheel wells and two underneath the bed, one pointing forward and the other backwards. I plan on getting another pair to mount on the roof rack to get more lights out to the sides of the bed.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I can't believe how well that worked out! On the other hand, I can't believe how bad those driving lights must work when used as driving lights. That's terrifying. How is anybody allowed to sell this crap?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal