trail tools

Merkaba55

What spare tools does everyone here carry for expedition type travel?
whenever Im goin "wheelin" or when I am on a multi-day outing I like to bring alot of tools but I think I may have too many...I love the yota but cargo space is precious and tools seem to eat up a fair amount of it for me.

My list includes (but not limited too)
36mm socket
prybar
2ft section of pipe
breaker bar
metric socket set in 3/8 and 1/2" drive
metric wrenches
some standard sockets and wrenches
2 pair vice grips
2 pair pliers-1 needle 1 regular.
large crescent wrench
camping hatchet
couple different sized c-clamps
some screwdrivers
ladyfoot
brass drift
brass/deadblow hammer
4lb mini sledge hammer

some of the supplies I carry are
3ft long huge zip ties(Ive seen these hold IFS diffs in place in an emergency)
normal zip ties
duct tape
bailing wire
good assortment of metric nuts and bolts
4 qts engine oil
2 quarts trans fluid (for power steering)
2 qts gear oil
1 qt brake fluid
spare radiator hoses and belts
some vaccum tubing
some 3/8" fuel line
aluminum foil
tarp
muffler tape
JB weld/RTV/silicone sealant
penetraiting oil

any suggestions to add remove anything? what tools have you all found to be really helpful?

Ive found that the stock tire lug wrench has the perfect lip on the end of it to pop CV axles off really easily.

-Dan

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Looks like a good list. You might want to throw in some thread locker... I have had to use that a few times...

ArmyTaco

Observer
Tools

Well I have never carried alot of tool, but I also have never been one to wheel in my Tacoma hard enough to break things...got an 85 for that. Anyway the tools I did carry with me were...

Flashlight/batteries
Assorted wrenches
Craftsman "Mechanic" Tool set
Leatherman
Tire Plug Kit- Very inexpensive and small...came in handy
Various Fuses

This was just going out for maybe a night or so. It was my DD and did not have alot of time or money on my hands before joining the Army. My Taco after this deployment will have way more as I plan to stay gone for 4+ days.

outsidr

Adventurer
As far as tools go, I recommend you consider what is most likely to break on your truck and inventory the tools you would need to make the repair. It is also a good idea to bring spares for the weak links. I would consider a Chilton's or something for your rig for advanced diagnostics support, also. Oh, don't forget a stashed spare Key. Admitingly, I almost locked myself out of my truck in Baja when I dropped my keys in the sand at night!:oops: OOh, when traveling in Baja consider bringing an extra wheel stud and lug nut also.

I usually am prepared to tear down F & R axles to R&R broken parts with spares or secure it to limp out. Tools to R&R Ujoints, Serp Belt, and other critical links. Wrenches to match sockets for tightening and inspecting bolts for bumpers and other bolt ons that will rattle loose. Also spare runs of wire, tubing, and fittings for air system. (wire for communication equipment repair)

In addition a basic mechanics tool set for the odd repair. Just make sure if you need a snap ring tool to R&R your hub that you have it. It saves frustration and time when you have to go in there.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Work on the truck from the truck's on-board tools. You'll quickly learn what you use and don't use.
Any special tools needed to work on the truck are carried on the truck.

If you are carrying a Hi-Lift then the handle can replace the section of pipe. I made a friend a bead breaker specifically designed to be used with the jack's handle.

Second the stashed spare set of keys. Those magnetic stash boxes are OK IF they are put in the right place. If it is not, those keys are goners. I made a key "vise" using a thumb screw that is bolted to the truck in an unlikely spot. When going extremely remote I have a second set of keys that one of those going with me carries too.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy

Members online