Trailer Tongue Extension (Pictures)

Rbertalotto

Explorer
My 8' Pickup Truck camper hangs off the back of my 6.5' bed by 18"

I want to pull my motorcycle trailer this summer but I'm not a fan of hitch extensions which put the pivot point way behind the rear axle, exaggerating sway.

I decided to extend the hitch on the trailer 18". I wanted the extension to be removable so the trailer could be towed in the stock configuration as wanted.

First I needed to remove the tool box and the jack mounted on the tongue.

FullSizeRender1-vi.jpg

Then I added a 3" X 3" piece of angle iron with a set of gussets for a 5/8" hitch pin to secure the removable extended tongue.

FullSizeRender6-vi.jpg

FullSizeRender12-vi.jpg

Two gussets were added to the front to secure the 2 1/2" X 2 1/2" swuare tubing. Also using a 5/8" hitch pin

FullSizeRender11-vi.jpg

The final configuration

FullSizeRender8-vi.jpg

The coupler will be raised by a piece of the square tubing to keep the hitch height the same as it was

FullSizeRender9-vi.jpg

Tomorrow I'll weld it all together and give it a test drive. Sorry for the crappy pictures. All I had was my I Phone with me and it was getting dark. I'll take better pictures of the completed project.

interesting setup.

you could have replaced the main hitch bar with a longer piece of steel like you did but bolt it in and have a second set of bolt holes for short configurations

jwiereng

I suggest you chop off the old coupler and slide in the new tongue on the same level as existing a-frame. No need for step up - step down.

A telescopic tube is a nice way to go.

What are your reasons for wanting to be able to easily return to stock config? Usually longer tongue tow and back up nicer.

Do you have small garage to fit in?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat