Trailer vs Flip Pac/Truck Camper

Virgil

Anyone have any thoughts on which is best? I see advantages and disadvantages in both. It does seem that the most tricked out trailer mimics features of a truck camper. Is it the utilitarian appeal of the all in one trailer or the all inclusive nature of the truck camper. Where does the Flip Pac fit into the equation. After hanging around on this site for awhile now I am totally confounded on the choice. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Virgil

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Same problem

I love my trailer, but want to try a flip pac.
Problem. Towing and parking in urban areas. Last year in Nova Scotia, both in Halifax and Lunenburg, I really wished I wasn't towing.

When you drop the trailer, you also leave behind a lot of stuff you want on the trail... on mine that can include the axe, shovel and extra food/drinks.

I always wondered why Scott Brady sold his AT.... I wonder if I am close?

For most of my travels, a full height truck camper could be a problem.

hth, can't wait to hear from those who have had both.

I have been weighing the pros and cons of both for a while.

the main pro of a trailer, for me, is that I dont have to close up camp to drive my vehicle somewhere.

pro of a truck camper/flippac, for me, is that you dont have a trailer holding you back.

I am going with a flippac because it is cheaper.. (i already have one)

I still havent decided which I like best. lol

kklasman

Have truck camper, want trailer

I currently have a large truck camper on an F-350 crewcab dually (7.3 diesel) ...it's spacious (for a TC) has all the comforts of home but it's huge, gets lousy mileage (10-12). And its too tall to put my kayaks on top, and too small to safely tow my 4-door Jeep JK. And it's hard to maneuver and park in the small coastal towns in New England.

So what I think I want is an adventure trailer with a RTT. The kayaks will go on the JK, and will probably have the kitchen (or at least a fridge) in the JK as well. The extra storage in the trailer will be for extra fuel, camp chairs, etc. Whatever won't fit in the Jeep.

This is only my vision...I hope to get some ideas at the VT Overland Rally this September.

flywgn

Explorer
Anyone have any thoughts on which is best? ...Thanks,

Virgil

Definitely in the "For-what-it's-worth" category: we've had both...and a couple of other off-highway sleeping solutions as well.

We sold both the AT and the Flippac and have returned to the same tent we purchased in 1964 and loving it. (Well, truth be told, maybe Diana is not 'loving' it, but she's not complaining since she doesn't have to climb anywhere to sleep.) There's something basic and appealing about tent-camping. It's simple, low maintenance, and a lot cheaper. Yes, it takes eight minutes longer to set up 'camp'. I can spare eight minutes. :sombrero:

We have less weight, and there's nothing to tow.

Allen R

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven