U.S. Tacoma versus Kenyan Hilux

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Our work in East Africa over the last ten years has given Roseann and me thousands of miles of opportunity to compare world-market vehicles with what we have available in the U.S. We just spent several weeks with a Hilux double-cab 3.0 turbodiesel while working on a project with the Maasai. Since we recently bought a Tacoma on which we'll be installing a Four Wheel Camper, I was interested in detailing the differences between the two trucks in their current iterations. There's a write-up on Overland Tech and Travel, here:

Hilux vs Tacoma

Aside from a couple major areas, there's less remaining distinction between the two than you might think. I've heard rumors that the next generation of Toyota's mid-size truck will be built on a single world platform; if true it will be interesting to see which way they go.

njtacoma

Explorer
Great article Jonathan!

I always enjoy your writing style, and your careful analysis of the facts, not just the feelings.

It would be nice to sip 30% less fuel, with (or without) the faint clatter of diesel. (sigh)

4xdog

Explorer
Thanks for the good info, Jonathan. Seems like both vehicles are designed with the different uses and environments they encounter in their respective markets -- generally appropriately, IMHO. I would offer a small diesel in the US market, though, if I were in charge. Someday... They didn't get around to a doublecab for us until much later.

Don
2001 Tacoma DC 4WD TRD
1981 Pickup (now sold, after 28 years of family ownership)

Clutch

<---Pass
Great write up! Glad to see Bill Lee's name pop up, one of the best Toyota mechanics in the South West.

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
Amazing article! Thank you for writing it and sharing with us!

And, somehow, my Hilux envy is waning...

LOKNLOD

I really don't care for the nose/grill of the Hilux at all. It's fugly. The wheel wells also look pretty tight for upsizing the tires (not that most vehicles aren't, these days).

Styling wise, even as a Toyota guy I really dig that Ford shown...

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I know it isn't always the case, but diesel is 33% more than reg unleaded right now!

Great article Jonathan!

I always enjoy your writing style, and your careful analysis of the facts, not just the feelings.

It would be nice to sip 30% less fuel, with (or without) the faint clatter of diesel. (sigh)

bjowett

Adventurer
Toyota is marketing/building more towards our throw away society here in the USA.

The bad ride quality comes from the frame... The open frame Tacoma is almost as bad as the 2nd Gen Tundra. Fortunately, a good load in the bed seems to dampen much of it away.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
I think I rather have the Ranger...

I have to say, if we were buying a new truck in Kenya right now, I'd look at the Ranger. Not saying I'd buy it, but I'd look at it.

In the end I'd probably be swayed by the well-earned reputation of the Hilux. Hiring a vehicle in East Africa with 30,000 km on it gives you far more insight into its durability than sampling a spanky new one. The Hilux performed superbly except for losing its speedometer halfway through the project. Never had time to climb underneath and see if it was just a loose cable.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Toyota is marketing/building more towards our throw away society here in the USA.

I'm not sure I'd agree about "throwaway." The plastic bed is an interesting move, but as someone who has put over 5,000 .357 rounds through a Glock 31, I'm hesitant to condemn it out of hand . . .

Clutch

<---Pass
I have to say, if we were buying a new truck in Kenya right now, I'd look at the Ranger. Not saying I'd buy it, but I'd look at it.

In the end I'd probably be swayed by the well-earned reputation of the Hilux. Hiring a vehicle in East Africa with 30,000 km on it gives you far more insight into its durability than sampling a spanky new one. The Hilux performed superbly except for losing its speedometer halfway through the project. Never had time to climb underneath and see if it was just a loose cable.

My OZ buddy (or would it be "Mate"? :)) has a new Ranger, says it blows the doors off the HiLux, and I do trust his opinion. They race motos in the Australian Rallies, and have no time for inferior equipment, if something is of poor quality he will definitely say something about it.

As you said, can't beat Toyota's reputation and the current parts availability. I highly doubt the US will see the Ranger, but stranger things have happened.

yes yes yes...!!!

That ranger is nice...might even make me quite drinking the toyota koolaid

I would seriously look at buying a Ford, seems like it is winning all of the test articles I have read.

Ford seems dead set on the F150 for the American though, supposedly going to aluminum body panels to reduce weight to boost fuel mileage. I
dunno, wouldn't it be easier to simply bring the diesel Ranger here? But what do I know? ;)

arb_ford_ranger_1.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kabobkabobkabob