UJOR Build Thread

silvrzuki77

explorer
Chris, where did you do the fender trimming for the 37's? So far for the front I have no issues, but I can tell the back will need so trimming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skibum315

Explorer
Tear DOWN! This van has been here for a bit as we collected parts and sent some out for mods. So.... V10 getting a 6" lift, fenders have been opened for 37's, dual front Kings with air bumps, air bumps in the rear, Atlas 4 speed t-case, OBA, Aluminess front/rear, ARB's, sPOD, Pro Rock 60 front. The rear axle was sent to Dynatrac for a full float conversion that is still RSC happy. Axles will be here next week, ready to make some cool new stuff for this rig that will be headed to TX.
How is this one not being called "AlphaVan"?? Sounds super drool-worthy ... maybe AlphaVan 2.0 ... or OmegaVan? Dunno ... either way I love that you're still finding ways to keep us coming back to this thread with new & unique builds. It's not become "just another UJOR build" assembly line.

Also: what about the NV project? Anything new there?

Podulator

De(S)Quiglification Report

Will definitely report on the suspension differences!

Finally got time to share some thoughts on the recent DeQuiglification of our SMB.

When I picked the rig up in Aspen to drive back to CA, I knew things may get a little sketchy as the PO mentioned you need to keep your hands on the wheel at all times ("you can't be sipping a latte in this"). OK, no prob, just need to get it home so it can go to UJOR (was originally planning to drop ship directly to UJOR, but timing didn't allow)... Driving it out the airport, the steering wheel was going back and forth a crazy amount and I hadn't even hit 35 mph and the PO was directing me to the freeway to drop them off before we headed out...sheit! not the freeway! And we had >1K miles to go!...

The steering was so funky that I had to keep pinballing the wheel back and forth to maintain a straight line - I was getting as much practice on the back roads from the PO's house before hitting the freeway where we needed to maintain speed. It was a hairball, white knuckle, butt puckering experience at freeway speeds. I think we maintained 55-60 and barely went above. Semi's were passing constantly... For the big mountain curves out in the desert at freeway speeds, I had to get the play out of the steering before entering any curves and then feather it back to center. Did NOT want to have to counter steer in the middle of a turn. If overdrive or turbo kicked in, the wandering magnified which increased pucker factor, especially in turns.

It was tiring at best to keep this rig at freeway speeds. There were two of us in the rig, but I ended up driving the whole way as we were on a tight schedule to get the rig back in a couple days. My buddy was a fully competent driver, but due to the learning curve for maintaining freeway speeds, I kept on driving (plus I would have been sketched period not being in control of this thing regardless of how well he could have driven it...) Two lane roads at 55mph+ were very sketchy, e.g. 50 through Utah/Nevada..

We finally made it to CA okay and then reached out to Chris to arrange a full Dequig and build (6" on 35's).

Absolutely smooth process through all that and fast forward to the day of pick up. Chris had sent pics along the way, but nothing beats seeing it in person. Stunning to say the least... absolutely DOPE! What a transformation!

The ride quality was absolutely impressive - still felt the weight a bit as it is an SMB (vs V7 which Chris picked us up in), but damn, the steering wheel tracked proportionally to the rig turning. That stood out immediately. I couldn't WAIT to get some driving in...good thing we had ~3K miles in front of us to get back.

The stoke factor kept on climbing... all Quig fears melted away as confidence from the UJOR makeover took over. Smooth as butter, solid steering, no wandering, and the new gauges kept me in the loop on system performance, etc. I could keep one hand on things if needed and maintain full control. Going above 65 was easy. Still super solid. At one point I looked down at saw 85mph on the speedo while passing a semi (keep in mind while in Quig mode, it was nerve racking going over 35).

Overall, I didn't maintain speeds really above 75, but knew if needed, I could go there with confidence. And all those distracting things we like to do while road trippin were doable, even one handed now. Functionality met form and what a pair they made this rig now. Chris was right when he said we may have gotten some attention with the rig before, but NOW...it's a whole different thing. Practically every stop we made, people were staring, taking pictures, giving thumbs up, asking questions, etc. Even people we passed on the road head on you could see had deer in the headlight syndrome and were pointing.

Parting words...if you have concerns about your Quig and are wondering about a fix, have Chris and his team DeQuig your rig. You will NOT regret it. The PO had added new front shocks, some big *** sway bar in the back and deaver springs, so was going down a rat hole and wasn't making it better. I can't help but think the low miles on our rig was due to how sketched it was to drive. Now I just want to pile the miles/go get stuck, extract and do it all over again.

Other bad *** additions:
* roof rack:
* 360 lights on the roof rack
* Solar
* front winch
* aluminess ladder, cargo box and rear bumper

If folks have any questions about things I may have missed, give a shout.

-todd

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Awesomeness Todd, congrats!! Sounds like the typical(a damn good thing!) experience with Chris at UJOR; done right the first time, no f'in around. :chef:
Going with any other 4x4 kit on these vans is just plan criminal.
Go UJOR or just don't go.
Pics please!
:beer:

DzlToy

Explorer
Chris, Have you thought about doing an SAS on a Sprinter? I know White Feather does them, but you are on the East Coast and there are a million Sprinters running around.

Sounds like you may need a Ford shop, a Sprinter shop and a Nissan NV/Cummins shop :D

I would also like to see a frame or sub-frame of sorts under the Benz, as it is uni-body from the factory. Maybe this is too much work and I am not sure how White Feather handles this.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Chris, Have you thought about doing an SAS on a Sprinter? I know White Feather does them, but you are on the East Coast and there are a million Sprinters running around.

Sounds like you may need a Ford shop, a Sprinter shop and a Nissan NV/Cummins shop :D

I would also like to see a frame or sub-frame of sorts under the Benz, as it is uni-body from the factory. Maybe this is too much work and I am not sure how White Feather handles this.

THIS!!!

Mhiscox can quickly chime in about the WhiteFeather, and maybe possible constraints about an SAS swap. He's a Sprinter master!

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Mhiscox can quickly chime in about the WhiteFeather, and maybe possible constraints about an SAS swap. He's a Sprinter master!
Wow. A fan club. :sombrero:

I've written about this on Expo several times, but the basic issue boils down to how much of the Sprinter's very decent road manners you want to give up for trail performance. The Whitefeather conversion is tall, rugged and old-school.

Whitefeather 1.jpg

Whitefeather 3.jpg

You do have to stick a fair amount of metal under a Sprinter to make it strong enough to hang stuff off of, and you can understand how the road-hugging weight of required for this sort of conversion is going to have an effect.

Whitefeather 2.jpg

Anyway, this is just another one of those decisions where you can't have your cake and eat it, too. The Whitefeather conversion gives you a substantially more serious trail rig, and if that's what you need and you're willing to pay for it with money, fuel economy and pavement handling, it's great the option is available. Not really any different than deciding to mod any truck for hard core trail work.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Well sir, you are kinda infamous around these here parts. :costumed-smiley-007
Sounds like we need an ExPo article detailing the merits of a certain UJOR E350 vs a WhiteFeather Sprinter. Hmmm, if only we had a WF Sprinter at our disposal........... ;)

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Chris, where did you do the fender trimming for the 37's? So far for the front I have no issues, but I can tell the back will need so trimming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just opened them up! In the rear we went back to the next body seam, cut and re painted from the middle body line down.

How is this one not being called "AlphaVan"?? Sounds super drool-worthy ... maybe AlphaVan 2.0 ... or OmegaVan? Dunno ... either way I love that you're still finding ways to keep us coming back to this thread with new & unique builds. It's not become "just another UJOR build" assembly line.

Also: what about the NV project? Anything new there?

Yea its going to have some pretty BA hardware under it! My goal with AlphaVan is a sub brand of vans being built to that level (frame off complete re do's) So, there will be more AlphaVans.

Ha, I would need multiple shops! I have no plans to do any Sprinters or Transits. Nissan is up next. I'll get the NV in the next few months, waiting to pay off an equipment loan 1st.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Finally got time to share some thoughts on the recent DeQuiglification of our SMB.

Thanks for the great write up, it was a pleasure building the van for you! It never gets old seeing the excitement when people pick up the vans and getting a good report card is even better! Thanks again and enjoy that dream rig!

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
AlphaVan frame came back from the blaster yesterday. Marked every little burr & weld splatter on the entire thing and got a nice flap wheel out! Just a few little things before it goes to get coated next week.

12316596_1086111304741430_7845353227151986639_n.jpg

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
The Ranger is going home, done with this round of mods. We re did the bed, added a hitch, Rhino lined the bed 100% as well as the front bumper. Added some cool tie downs from Mac's and re did the exhaust. It just needs more power now :)

12347770_1086124588073435_4134988539160550360_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz