Undercoating/Rust proofing R50 at 124k?

PrecisionX

Observer
I picked up my 2001 SE that has 124k on it and is super clean. It lived in Texas until 2011 and has since been in MA but garaged. Salt state recall inspection had stage 2 fiber glass kit on one side and just an undercoat on the other. I was wondering if I should undercoat/rust proof or if that would be a bad idea given the age and that I may be trapping it under the undercoat?

Camelfilter

Explorer
Probably not worth your time to strip & undercoat, however you might give a look at an oil film. They're temporary, but might be worthwhile inside subframe boxes & difficult spots for the season.

I'm thinking along the lines of using some "fluid film" brand aerosol on my Titan, as I can pick it up at Lowes out here & do it myself. With a focus on the more difficult spots as I mentioned above (yet a full boxed frame on my truck...).

I never did anything with my Pathfinder while I had it, and it showed. A real mess underneath. Had that 1999.5 since new in Mass ungaraged for all but a few years of its life until I sold it before permanently moving out here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven