Upgrade Transmission

AZTrooper

Adventurer
Ok, hopefully this will be an easy question. Since I lifted my trooper two inches, the 265/75/R16's seem a little small. So I want to put some 33s on it. Anyone know how much that would effect the gearing. I believe my trooper came stock with 4:33s in the rear diff. If that's the case, then I shouldn't need to mess with rear diff, but upgrade my transmission. Is there a transmission that I can get that has lower gearing that will swap directly into the stock transmission spot?

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
I'm not quite sure what you are getting at here. If you want bigger tires, you need bigger axle gears. If you don't have a TOD system, Terra Low makes a 4:1 transfer case gear. I am running about a 32" tire (Cooper-made 285/75) and I would not go any bigger without a re-gear.

AZTrooper

Adventurer
I do have TOD and 4:33 gears in the rear. So what I'm getting at is, I think my gears in the rear diff are fine. As far as I have looked, I don't think I can get lower gears in the diff. I know that getting a lower geareed tranny isn't cost efficient and may not be the best option, but, I'm curious if there is a beefier tranny out there that will directly bolt on. Know what I mean? I'm gonna go with 285/75/R16 for my next tire size. I may even be fine without doing any further gearing for now. We'll see when I get them.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I think you should be fine. You may notice a little power loss, but it should minimal enough that you can live with it. Don't mess with the tranny if you don't have too, IMO.

bootzilla

Adventurer
I agree with Aaron - not much need to mess with the gearing, even with 33's.

I have never heard of any tranny gearing upgrades or kits for Troopers, and it would probably be more complex to regear or replace the tranny than it would be to regear the diffs.

Speaking of - you can regear the diffs in a Trooper. There were a few 1st gen. Troopers with a wide wheel option (and all of the 2-doors came with that option) that included 4.77 gears.

I think at one point Terra Low also manufactured 5.38 gears for the Trooper.

One way or the other, you'd have to swap out to an open diff in the rear - I think all of the TOD's have a factory LSD.

4.77's are tough to find, but out there. 5.38's are nearly impossible to find, since they aren't manufactured anymore.

One way or the other, you shoulf be able to get by with the 33's, you just won't have as much get-up-and-go....

Here's a Rhino....pretty coo, huh? :26_13_1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal