Used LR3 V6 vs V8

So, in the market for a used LR3, seem's there are two engine sizes. Besides the loss of power in the V6, is there a benefit to owning the V6, seem's mpg is almost the same, but is there a reliability difference between the two?

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
I've had both. V8 much more horsepower in the foot. I could tell a real difference. Think 3.9 vs. 4.6 in DI's.
D

landroverlv

4.0L V6 LR3
Pros
Global Ford Motor - Parts can be easier to locate and may be cheaper
Smaller calipers means you can run 17" wheels, opening up a world of great 4x4 tire choices
Regular Gas instead of required premium on the V8
Cons
The LR3 is a heavy vehicle and if you plan on overlanding (ie loading with gear, etc....) it may not be able to keep up.
No real MPG gains over the V8
217HP

Both motors have been pretty solid on the service side. Most problems on those motors revolve around the fuel delivery (injectors, etc)

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I had the V6 version for 50,000+ miles, and have about 9,000 miles in a V8. The V6 was amazing. I would LOVE that motor in my Jeep. It never ran out of power and was absolutely bulletproof. After driving a V8 for a number of months, and going back to my V6, I did not miss the V8.

However, having said all that, the V8 is equally bulletproof and does make the LR3 feel more nimble and snappy on the street. No real diff in mpg, because you dip a bit deeper into the throttle with the V6. On the trail there is no difference, though I always felt that the tranny mates to the V6 much more seamlessly than the V8.

So my point is, pick whichever LR3 has the other options, colors, mileage, etc... that you want, and don't worry about the engine. Either will work fine, and keep you happy. However, given the choice, go for the V8. More is better :)

4.0L V6 LR3
Pros
Global Ford Motor - Parts can be easier to locate and may be cheaper
Smaller calipers means you can run 17" wheels, opening up a world of great 4x4 tire choices
Regular Gas instead of required premium on the V8
Cons
The LR3 is a heavy vehicle and if you plan on overlanding (ie loading with gear, etc....) it may not be able to keep up.
No real MPG gains over the V8
217HP

Both motors have been pretty solid on the service side. Most problems on those motors revolve around the fuel delivery (injectors, etc)

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
I should add- my comments also come from the stand point of towing. I do use my LR3 to tow and it does make a difference V6 vs V8

Dave Legacy

Adventurer
It's going to be harder to find a well equiped V6, but there are SE Trim models around. The V6 doesn't have homelink... screw that! =)

Thanks for all the advice it helped. Pick up my new ride today!!! 06 silver LR3 V8 with only 52000 on the clock, clean as a whistle. Can not wait to give it the first taste of mud, rocks, water, and dust.

Dave Legacy

Adventurer
You won't be sorry. If your T-stat hasn't been replaced yet now would be the time to do it. They only seem to last 50K. The good news is when they fail it's usually that the seal breaks loose and you get slow warm ups, not stuck w/overheating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven