Using a camp shower - rules/regulations for water usage or disposal?

Justin_A

While reading another thread about what some users are using for standing on while using their camp showers, it got me wondering if there are any strict rules about where you can allow the water to "run-off"?

When visiting NPs, developed camp grounds, primitive campgrounds and the middle of nowhere camp spots I usually still use CampSuds (biodegradable) with for soap for the family and never rinse near flowing water. Maybe somebody can clear a few things up for me? I live in CA, where washing your car at your own home is frowned upon due to waste and environmental hazards.

Whether its rinsing off from a hot day to cleaning those dishes, what do you guys do about the water run-off? (soaped or no soap its run-off)

What sort of cleaning products do you avoiding?

Thanks!

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
unless posted gray water is no big deal, generally dispose of it at least 200 feet from water (flowing or standing) and use biodegradable soap.

Campgrounds will often have sinks for dumping in.

binrat

Observer
unless posted gray water is no big deal, generally dispose of it at least 200 feet from water (flowing or standing) and use biodegradable soap.

Campgrounds will often have sinks for dumping in.

Don't dispose of it in 1 spot if its large amounts, disperse it around some.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
It depends on how much water we are talking about and the local geology. But a few gallons several hundred feet away from flowing water shouldn't be an issue, especially with biodegradable soap. Mostly, you'd need to be concerned about what happens once the water is in the soil. Is it going to hit a clay layer and flow to the above ground steam, or will it get filtered through several hundred feet of sand before it hits standing water? The further you are from any above ground water source, the better.

quickfarms

Adventurer
I live in CA, where washing your car at your own home is frowned upon due to waste and environmental !

Where in CA do you live?

I have never heard that one.

They are a little touchy about certain cleaners for rims and aluminum because that stuff is toxic.

I have been told that it is illegal to dump grey water on federal land and in the state of California, and a lot of other states. The problem is that they consider grey water to be all water except the toilets and it can contain some nasty chemicals.

Xterabl

Adventurer
I think the OP is confusing general sentiment with the current DROUGHT condition.
There is no frowning upon washing your own car that I have ever seen in my years living here since 1974.
But, now, with the drought...if they catch running water (sprinklers, car wash, whatever) going across the sidewalk, you might get a $500 fine.
This is our current reality.
Pleas pray for a wet winter for us!

Justin_A

Xterabl is right, I used the terms 'frowned upon', loosely because of the drought and wasn't implying anything illegal about washing cars.

Given our current drought situation and CA's strict environmental standards I wouldn't see it out of the ordinary if somebody was fined for camp shower water running off. BUT, camp showers are OK!

Happy camping.

offero

Desert rat
Not sure about regulation, but we practice common sense gray water disposal while camping.

- Chunks of food get scraped off dishes with paper towels and put in the trash, unless it's safe to burn
- Dishwater gets scattered many yards from camp
- I typically dig a hole (sump?) under the spigot of my fresh water contained to catch runoff and occasionally throw some dirt over it
- Haven't used the shower setup, but the plan is to locate it away from camp a few yards and certainly away from water sources

JMacs

Observer
I would like to try and build a charcoal filter before my next camping trip. http://www.offthegridnews.com/2013/08/12/how-to-build-a-bio-water-filter The last trip, we ended up cooking breakfast and dinner for 10+ people for 4 days. Lot of dirty dish water walked around the area to get dumped in the grass. I think a 5 gallon bucket with rock, sand, and charcoal would have saved a lot of hassle.

Wouldn't work for a outdoor shower....

What I don't know is how often you need to clean out the rocks and sand. But I like the concept. Now, if I ever get to build my campers with indoor shower, I might tend up with this and not mess with a gray water tank.

Last edited:

Mark K

Observer
I have never heard of anyone having anyone question them about bathing in the boonies or dishwashing.

I plan on standing, butt naked next to the truck with the Zodi shower washing my blindingly white carcass and let the water run on the ground for the desert critters to enjoy.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Not sensible at all. Activated carbon ie live filter is used as a T&O fix in the drinking water world. (Taste and Odor) only after the water is cleaned via settling basin. Not to mention you would need about 50lbs of it to do anything meaningful.

highdesertranger

Adventurer
well first off several communities in so cal have laws about letting water run down the gutter no matter where it comes from lawn sprinklers, washing cars, whatever. so unless you are washing you vehicle and containing the water you could get a ticket in many cities. secondly we all know not to dump black water, but in national parks and many national forests it is illegal to dump grey water. highdesertranger

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Our drought issue in CA is really severe. Socal is ranked as the worst populated region for water waste even the cities are caught watering streets, at windy times, etc etc. Only just recently have they started implementing fines for blatent waste. In norcal we have had water cops since the 74 drought. I turned my auto watering system off October 2013. Ive been running it manually once a week and only for select areas of the yard. Friend in the Realestate biz told me some of his clients were fined this summer for running daily water cycles. We were under strict direction of our water district that yard watering can only be done once a week, and NO water should be running off into the gutter. My water use since Oct 13 has been half of our water use pattern from 2012.

con kso

Adventurer
Wow- good to know about the no dumping gray water in state parks deal. I've been showering outside of my truck (I have an on-demand propane hotwater heater connected to a 20 gallon water tank) all over the place and will be more careful now. We have a little shower tent and we stand in a water heater tray when taking showers to collect the sudsy water- I guess I'll have to be more covert when I use that thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shazpete

Members online