Verde River Arizona runners?

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Anyone regularly run the Verde River in AZ? I'm looking for info on putins and takeouts, easy "milk run" 1/2, full and 2+ day trips, when the water is best, if sit-on-top & canoe is doable &c &c. Logistics too if there are regular runners who can help for the round-trip.

DesertBoater

Adventurer
There are a couple of different sections, and they generally start in Camp Verde or further downstream. The most straightforward run begins at the Highway 260 bridge in Camp Verde (Parking on the downstream side in a small parking area) and runs down to Beasley Flat Recreation Area. About 2/3rds of the way down, there is another potential put-in/take-out at the Clear Creek Confluence on river right. Just a small dirt parking lot with a USFS bathroom and a trail going down to the river. The whole run is maybe Class I or II with the biggest danger being braided channels and trees in the water. This run takes the better part of a day, especially if you have to run your own shuttle. I've done it both in canoes and whitewater kayaks, and canoes were definitely better (faster...lots of flat water). The best water level for this section is above 200cfs, but probably below 2,000. Below that you'll be walking through mud, and above that you'll be worrying about strainers/pinning your boats.

From Beasley Flats down to Gap Creek is the classic Verde River whitewater run. Class III/IV and about 7-8 miles long, definitely not canoes, and previous whitewater knowledge/experience is necessary. Below Gap Creek you'll get to Childs, where one of the Fossil Creek power plants used to be. You can either put in or take out here, however as a take-out it requires some pre-shuttling before-hand because the shuttle takes about 2 hours each way.

Below Childs the river is designated as Wild and Senic...the river version of wilderness. It is an absolutely amazing trip down this section, however it takes multiple days. I've done it in 5 relatively easy days with rather low water, but I've heard of folks doing it in 3 with high water. We were in canoes with one whitewater kayak however at our water level (400-500ish) it was still a bit low. We had to get out and walk our boats on a number of occasions. The shuttle is also rather long for that section. We took out at Sheeps Bridge above the reservoir, however you could continue down to the reservoir and take out there.

I hope that helps

Cheers,
West

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal