Very RARE! Toyota Hiace 4x4 (LHD!) Overland campervan

Lovetheworld

Hi all. Our beloved van that took us overland from the Netherlands, through Asia to Japan will be going on sale.
It will go on sale on the usual local (European) car websites in the next weeks. But I already put it online here, since it is also interesting to US and Canadian buyers (the car is from 1994). And foreign buyers will need a bit more time than a local buyer who can take it the same day. I am used to shipping cars so I can arrange that.
People checking this from North-America, don't confuse this with the Toyota Van model you got, this one is a Hiace, it is bigger.

It is a very rare Toyota Hiace 4x4 from 1994 in Left-Hand drive, no Japanese import.
We got it from Norway where it has always served as a car for the Red Cross search and rescue team. So it was an 8 seater passanger van with a high roof.
It is built to sleep 2 adults and 2 kids, there are 6 seats in the car.
And where Japanese imports can be luxurious, this is a very simple van with simple technology. It shares the drivetrain with the Toyota Hilux that both Top Gear and WhistlinDiesel could not destroy :)
It has the 4 cilinder 2.4 diesel that lasts forever, without turbo.
It has parttime 4x4 with low-gearing and a factory original Toyota limited slip diff on the rear axle (which still works!)
It has the HIGHEST final gear ratio a factory Toyota can have (if I'm correct) of 5.125. It climbs anything eventhough it only has 75hp.
Modified wheel arches to fit 225/75/R16, suspension lift. Stronger shock aborbers. It drives really well!
Converted to a campervan. Sliding windows everywhere.
Without the rear bumper it is less than 5 meters long.

Interior/options:
- standing height inside is 184cm
- white interior made of aluminium tubing and aluminium composite material
- 175Wp Solar (with Victron MPPT)
- 52 liter water storage
- filtering system to make drinking water (needs new filter of course)
- orange tank under the car is the extra water tank, but you can convert it to an extra diesel tank if you want
- 45 liter fridge with freeze compartment
- gas bottle for cooking, stove with oven that you can put outside
- 2kW diesel to air heater with thermostat control! (we camped in -10 degrees Celcius)
- Kids bed now 150x120cm long (can be made longer)
- Adult bed is 210x150cm, is converted from rear seat
- Maxxfan with remote
- heated front seats
- rear bumper with full size spare wheel holder, 2 jerrycans and a box (this is currently detached as you don't always need it)
- head lights always go on when the engine is running

The van currently has 225.000km on it, which is easy for this engine.
It has sliding doors on both sides and ambulance style doors (which is rare)
The van is not in perfect state, it is a used van that has seen a lot of the world.
Body and especially the bottom/chassis are in good shape. Rustedges are present around the windows and the lower edge of front and rear doors. This has been stable and we store the van indoors.
So it is a good van, it passes the yearly checks without problems and always runs.
It does not require any work at all, I'm just writing it down so that you know that you don't expect to get a van in mint condition. It has been used on real expeditions.

Not too many campervans that are full-on 4x4 and get you around the world reliably. We are probably going to regret selling it but we don't use it enough.

I may change the price later on, but currently asking €16.500
Later on, I will add some interior pics.

20220902_123120.jpg
20220902_123039.jpg

phpB8Qj99_DJI_0048.jpg

phpHSs1MU_20180731_171050.jpg
phpLXvtb4__DSC7910.jpg

Last edited:

Lovetheworld

Here the awaited interior pics

Interior is quite spacious for such a small van.

The interior is made of aluminium tubing and aluminium composite plates (and wood)
Above the rear seat is the bed space for the kids

20220906_143829.jpg

Front interior. The front wheel arches are a very important part and they are solid

20220906_173301.jpg

Rear doors lower edges
20220906_140022.jpg

Sleeping space for the kids (with Maxxfan) 150x120cm bed, so for young kids

20220906_173033.jpg

This part of the car is less desirable, the left rear corner. However, it has been this way since we own it in 2014.
You cannot poke through it, and we just left it this way.

20220906_140033.jpg

This corner has just been welded, the lower structural parts of the car are good

20220906_140624.jpg

Fridge with freezer compartment, general kitchen storage. The black box is the 2kW diesel heater
20220906_143738.jpg

Gas stove + oven!

20220906_172655.jpg

All the car tech:
- seperate low gear lever
- 4x4 is enabled through button (vacuum powered)
- chair heating
- usb stuff / radio

20220906_173430.jpg

One of very few campervans coming with the traditional 4x4 system + its explanation

20220906_173450.jpg

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
With your history with this van and its coolness factor, it is type of vehicle that in 20 years you will wish you had put in a garage somewhere and saved. I know finances prevent it for most but so many memories here.

GLWS

Lovetheworld

Yes this van is sold already for a long time.

With your history with this van and its coolness factor, it is type of vehicle that in 20 years you will wish you had put in a garage somewhere and saved. I know finances prevent it for most but so many memories here.

GLWS
I am only seeing this now, half a year later :eek:

You might be right at some point. But, that would mean somebody else did not have a van to do some travelling in. Because there are not too many vans in this segment.
And I always got tired driving it, which the new Sprinters solved.
I don't like to hang on something and not using it, not being useful to others.

The Hiace is defenitely stronger and ready for any place on this planet. We went offroading in our newer 4x4 Sprinter and it was a rough patch. Even my very young daughter was complaining that we should've done that in the old van, not with this new one :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger