Vietnam on Motorbike

Awkragt

Adventurer
Friend of mine at work. He goes back every year for about 6 weeks.

http://kens-vietnam-adventures.blogspot.com/

He's writing a book about wooden boat construction in vietnam. It is amazing to photograph and catalog the traditional boats and construction methods before they are all gone. Some of the stuff they do is really ingenious.

cwsqbm

Explorer
Ever seen the Top Gear: Vietnam special? They rode small motorbikes the length of Vietnam, with the usually silliness thrown in.

haven

Expedition Leader
So cool! Just fly to Hanoi, buy a cheap motorbike, and put-put around.

I was glad to read that the local folks were friendly to a tall bearded 60 year old. A couple of years ago, I found the shopkeepers and people on the street in Ho Chi Minh City to be pretty rude to visitors.

Awkragt

Adventurer
The really cool thing that he does, and more people on expo could be doing, is that when you visit places and photograph people he tries to return the photograph. He takes a picture of someone, then gets it printed out and laminated, then takes it back to the person he photographed.

He doesn’t have to know where people live or anything. He just shows the picture to people and asks if they know them. Even a year later he’s been able to find people.

jronwood

Adventurer
Was in Vietnam a few years ago, scooters flow through the streets like water, by the thousands and tens of thousands, especially in HCMC. We adopted a 10 month old. What a place, left via Hanoi.

Jronwood

r3run33

Adventurer
very nice; its been a few years for me also; if you have a chance go to ha long bay! if the bikes are not to big you can even put them on a boat. We stayed on a boat for about 3 weeks very nice trip.

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Was in Hanoi in 2001, absolutely fell in love with the country. Had I not been married I may have stayed, it is a fabulous place and would go again in a heartbeat.

calitaco

I was born in Nha Trang and left there in 1974 due to the war. I still have family back there but never communicated with them due to the language barrier. I always wanted to take a few weeks off to visit them and my grandmother who has taken care of me when I was a baby, but could never find the time. She just recently passed and I really regret not doing the trip when she was alive. When I do go there, I know where my first stop is going to be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3

Members online