Vintage Grandy Find

Redman

Posted this first on WTW.......

IMG_2820.JPGIMG_4757.jpgThe other morning I was browsing FB, IG, etc, and when I'd seen enough of that, I thought "hey, I'll take a look at WTW, haven't been on the site in a while". As an 2011 ATC Cougar owner, I went to the All Terrain forum first to see what new posts were there, and saw that the build thread for Ski3Pin's ATC was up front because someone had made a new comment on it. I re-read it all the way through, which then cued my brain into thinking once again that it'd be fun to find an old FWC and rebuild it. Maybe to sell, maybe to keep, maybe give/sell to my son (he's 27) for his flatbed truck.

So...I hit Craigslist for my local area (Sacramento), and after 3 different search words, up pops a listing from the nearby SF CL with 2 pics. One of a late '90's Ford truck with an old Grandby on it, and another of the FWC log on the back. The listing just said "This is a Four Wheel Pop Up camper, it's in OK shape, not sure of the year" with a price listed at $350........ Yes, you heard that right. $350!!

It was early in the morning at that time, so I waited a couple hours, and then called the number in the ad. A guy answers by saying "transmission shop, can I help you?". So I say "I'm calling about the camper, how bad is it?"And he says "not too bad, actually". He then goes on to say there's a guy coming to look at that day (Tuesday), so I'm thinking "********, somebody beat me to it", and I tell him "ok, it he doesn't buy it, I'm definitely interested", and I mention that if the guy looking is wanting to put it on a newer truck that it won't fit because the older campers were wider at the tailgate opening. The seller then says he's got a couple of interior pics he can text me, I say "great, and will he let me know if it doesn't sell?" He says "sure", and we hang up.

The pics came immediately, and it looked like an old camper inside. The cabinet area had been altered (butchered), some freaky covers were on the upholstery, and there was some old shag carpeting at the window level. Looked like some work was gonna be involved... I texted my son the ad and the pics, and asked him what he thought. He thought it sounded like a good deal price wise, and could be a fun project to re-do, and it would go well on his '97 Dodge/Cummins flatbed. I told him the story of the phone call, and decided I'd buy it if the other guy doesn't.

2 hours later my phone rings, and its the tranny shop guy saying "you were right, the other guy wanted to put it on a brand new Dodge, and it won't fit, so he didn't buy it". I say "I'll take it". Tranny shop guy says "cool". So I tell him I need to figure out when I can come get it (eastern Contra Costa county), and how I can haul it home. He tells me he can use his car lift at the shop to take off the truck, and then put it on another truck. Problem is, I have a newer Dodge too, so thats out. My son's truck is up in Tahoe (and then how would i get it off the truck to work on it, since it had no jacks).

So, making a long story a little bit shorter..... Yesterday, my son comes down with his truck, we haul my little flatbed trailer down to the tranny shop (where they've already removed the camper from the other truck), lift the camper onto the trailer, I give the shop owner his cash, we strap it down, and head for home. With a quick stop to see Marty and Jeff at ATC in Sacramento..... where they whole heartedly agree that we got a smokin' deal.

What we ended up with is a 1980 Four Wheel Pop Up Grandby (the warranty paper work with it's registration number, AND an original FWC brochure were still in the magazine rack of the camper), that is badly in need of a liner and lift panels, some re-building of the floor pack/wood in general, new foam and upholstery, a rebuilding of the cabinet area, and some really good cleaning. The outside skin is in great shape, it has an awesome original, large FWC sticker on the back, all the glass is intact, the roof is solid and has minimal water stains (from being in contact with a wet liner, not from roof leaks), and will be REALLY cool project.

But I think the “piece de resistance” is that we found what I believe is an original FWC supplied, rear awing tarp and poles under the lower bed. There is awning rail on the back of the roof that has obviously been there its whole life, and an at first unknown “mount” with a hole it that is much too light duty for a tie down, that turns out be where the angled pole for the awning goes. The tarp looks as though its never been outside, and still has sharp creases in it, like it’s been folded for 40 years (which I think it has), it a light weight canvas like would've been use back then. Its almost the best part of the camper…..

Now the story…… the folks who actually owned the truck and camper had the misfortune of having their transmission go out on a trip from LA to Yosemite to SF, and the truck died in the town where I got it. They owed the tranny shop guy money for working on the truck, didn’t have any, so they left him the truck and camper as payment. The tranny shop guy doesn’t know a thing about these campers, doesn’t care about them, wanted it gone, and mostly, didn’t know what he had. He said his phone was ringing off the hook, but I was number 2, so I got it. Damn lucky!

So enough for now, but thought it'd be fun to share….. I’m sure there will be more to follow.

Attachments

• IMG_4758.jpg
    IMG_4758.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_4759.jpg
    IMG_4759.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_4760.jpg
    IMG_4760.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_7348.jpg
    IMG_7348.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_7349.jpg
    IMG_7349.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_7350.jpg
    IMG_7350.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_7351.jpg
    IMG_7351.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_7352.jpg
    IMG_7352.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 111

jharrisusmc

Just purchased a similar camper my self. Not sure of the year, but it's. 80's model grandby I have started to rebuild. Keep us up to date on your build

Redman

Any updates on your remodel? I just picked up a 1983 Grandby for $500 on CL that needs some love.

Is that the one that was for sale in the North Bay last week?! I tried to get ahold of that guy to buy it, and then compare which one need the least work!

No updates yet.... My son and I are gonna make it a winter project, so I'd expect to start work before too long. Finishing a remodel in my shop to make room for the camper.

BajaSurfRig

Yeah it was for sale in Santa Rosa. I drove from Morro Bay and back in a day to pick it up. Pretty stoked on it, it will need some work but all in all it is in good shape.

Redman

Yeah it was for sale in Santa Rosa. I drove from Morro Bay and back in a day to pick it up. Pretty stoked on it, it will need some work but all in all it is in good shape.

Good for you! I couldn't get a response from the guy, even though my first email said "I WILL BUY IT!".... You must've gotten to him first. I'd say you got the better deal than I did, but we've now decided to gut it back to the frame, and rebuild it with hard foam insulation, our own panelling, and a custom kitchen set up.

Have fun with it!

BajaSurfRig

Thanks I am pretty pumped on it and got lucky. Apparently I wasn't the first person to contact them, but somewhere in the middle. Still not sure how I got so lucky. Are you replacing the headliner by any chance? I am thinking of using some thin wood and painting it with polyurethane...

Redman

Thanks I am pretty pumped on it and got lucky. Apparently I wasn't the first person to contact them, but somewhere in the middle. Still not sure how I got so lucky. Are you replacing the headliner by any chance? I am thinking of using some thin wood and painting it with polyurethane...

No, our headliner is in pretty good shape actually. A little sign of moisture in one area, but good overall. I think you'll find you'll have a condensation issue with a non-breathable ceiling. Just the act of breathing during sleeping is enough to create moisture overhead on the slick surface. I've heard of using OxyClean to remove water stains.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach