Vintage Trailers

• Thread starter Scenic WonderRunner
  • Start date
S

Scenic WonderRunner

Post up your Vintage Trailers....!

If you own one, post up and tell us about it.

If you find a cool one for sale....post up the link!

....discuss!

A fun one I just found!

The 1935 Kozy Kamp 2

35_kozykamp_drive_rear_ezr.jpg

Who Knew>?!!

How Fun!

ERIC_CURRY_Joshua_48_airstream_fina.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

shadowhaus

I have an old SEARS tent trailer in storage. I haven't been able to ID it yet but it looks similar to this one except it doesn't have the door in the back. It just says SEARS across the back. Access is gained from the front using the tongue as a step.

I'll have to dig mine out and take a photo....who knows maybe someone can ID it. I do know the guy I got it from remembered using it as a kid in the 60's and the last time it was registered was 80.

661.jpg

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Thanks! ....shadowhaus

And welcome to ExPo!

I'm hoping this will be an Awesome thread!

I just love old skool stuff!...:ylsmoke:

shadowhaus

Thanks......I LOVE all the photos of the trips everyone is taking and their vehicles. I've gotten a lot of ideas....so much that I have changed several inspirations for others. :ylsmoke:

I hear ya about the old school stuff......nothing better than getting back to basics and enjoying the day.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
shadowhaus said:
I have an old SEARS tent trailer in storage. I haven't been able to ID it yet but it looks similar to this one except it doesn't have the door in the back. It just says SEARS across the back. Access is gained from the front using the tongue as a step.

I'll have to dig mine out and take a photo....who knows maybe someone can ID it. I do know the guy I got it from remembered using it as a kid in the 60's and the last time it was registered was 80.

661.jpg
My family had one of those but sold by Montgomery Wards. I wish I still had it. Mom sold it in 82. That thing was light. We pulled it with a Volkswagen station wagon all over the place.
Here is our 1959 Airstream Caravanner that my wife and I are restoring. Whats interesting is this camper has a Wally Byam Caravan Plaque meaning it went on one of the BIG caravans. It has the beefed up suspension, It rides 2 inches higher then most. Being its a 59 Model it might have made the Cape town to Cairo as a company trailer. Documenting that has been a problem. It does not have any WBCCI numbers (the red numbers on the ends) and while all the records for the WBCCI are easily checked. Airstream proper will not volunteer records by Serial number. If it was a factory owned camper then there is probably no record of it being used for the Caravan as when they came back they were reconditioned and sold.
Our camper may be in this picture but we have no way to know for sure.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 88and59r.jpg
    88and59r.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
shadowhaus said:

661.jpg

I have something very similar to this that I'm going to work with.

Mine has a door in the back that drops down vertically to become a step into the trailer.

I can't for the life of me remember what make it was. Maybe Coleman. All I do know is that it is fairly old, 1970s IIRC.

atavuss

Adventurer
I had a 66 Heilite that I had intentions of restoring. got around to putting new tires, wheels, and hubs on it and that was as far as I got. ending up selling it for what I had in it in parts. it was given to me for free by a guy that wanted it off his property. the canvas was shot and my wife and son said they would never sleep in it.
1966Heilite.JPG

the Bonanza Ranch at Stateline Nevada had one or two of those Cozy Camp trailers years ago when they were still open.

JackW

Explorer
1978 Boler fiberglass trailer - weighs around 900 lbs and can easily be towed by my 4-cylinder diesel Rovers

IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0227.jpg

1960s "Campotel" rooftop tent w/ accessories

I bought this off Craigslist and thought the canvas on the RTT was going to be serviceable but it is getting brittle so I'm in the process of replacing the canvas on it. It came with a shower, galvanized water container and the privacy curtain. It also had an aluminum kitchen box with removable legs and a built-in Coleman gas stove. Two plastic wash basins were also in it. I haven't taken pics of the large RTT yet but I plan on mounting it on my old 1952 M100 military jeep trailer. I don't want to get in trouble posting someone else's pics but the identical Campotel RTT setup is on a website that has several vintage trailers, "Doug's Vintage Trailers". He uses them for photo layouts, etc.. The "Campotel" was made in Ft. Worth, TX back in the 1960s according to the original paperwork that was in the kitchen box. The previous owner of the one I bought said he had stored it under his carport on a hoist system for 15 years and hadn't used it. He needed to do some repair work on the carport so decided to sell it. He was elderly and said he wouldn't be camping anymore. I hope to have it restored and ready to use shortly. I was dissappointed when the canvas ripped easily when I attempted to unsnap the ends.

I have a 1963 Airstream Bambi

that belonged to my aunt and uncle since new. I purchased it from my father who acquired it after they expired and I have been renovating it. I "semi-polished" it, using the first phase of polishing compound. It is very labor intensive and I'm not sure I even want it polished to a chrome shiny finish, since I upholstered the interior with "Realtree Advantage" camo and OD trim. This is the 16 ft. model that is self-contained, with shower and bath. NOT much of an off-roader though.

Bambi015.jpg

Taz

Adventurer
JackW said:
1978 Boler fiberglass trailer - weighs around 900 lbs and can easily be towed by my 4-cylinder diesel Rovers

IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0227.jpg
That is a very cool little trailer! I have been looking for something simlular but everything is just too big for what I want.

Taz, you might look at the "Oliver" brand lightweight trailers. I think they are made here in TN. They are similar to the "Burro", "Scamp", and "Casita" lightweight fiberglass trailers. I had one similar to the one pictured that I bought from "UHAUL" back in 1990. They decided to phase out their camper rentals and I bought one and they let me cannibalize another that had been wrecked in the front-the gelcoat was busted up. They were going to keep the frame for a lawn tractor rental trailer. I told my hunting buds about the liquidation and they bought several in Atlanta at that Uhaul rental. I towed mine behind a 2.5 Jeep Cherokee- 5 speed with a 3.55 gearing-sometimes some slow going.

JackW

Explorer
Taz said:
That is a very cool little trailer! I have been looking for something simlular but everything is just too big for what I want.

got www.fiberglassrv.com for lots more information about this class of trailer.
Bolers were primarily built in Canada although they had a plant in Wichita and you see them pretty frequently along the US-Canadian border states. The Scamp manufacturing company took over production of the Boler after they went belly up in the early 1980's.

There are dozens of different manufacturers of these small lightweight trailers and the fiberglass ones don't typically have the leaks and resultant wood rot of the stick built trailers with the aluminum skin. They also usually weigh significantly less than a Scotty or Shasta equivalent.

Vintage Bolers sell for anywhere from $2500 - $4000 typically.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk