Vw Crafter

krl81

Adventurer
Hi folks!
So, as stated in the headline I'm going to build me a camper out of a Vw Crafter which is more or less a Mb Sprinter. Medium length so internal length is 325 cm long. I'm waiting to get it, all the papers are signed so I'm waiting for the dealer to get it fixed. They will change the cam belt/timing belt (not sure of the English word), multi belt, oil, all the filters and fix the ac.
The nice thing about it is that it's been used for paint delivery here in Sweden so it's already insulated, floor, walls and roof. Plus, and it's a BIG plus, it has a second diesel heater for the back. Not sure about auxiliary battery but that's not a big problem.
This will be a slow build just so you know. :)
I'm planning a bed, will use my airbed that's 135 cm wide for now, in the back with storage next to it on one side. The foot end of the bed will be foldable with a sofa under it. The other end, open the back doors, will be an open storage under the bed. A small kitchen, i have a 2 burner primus, along the side opposite the sliding door. Not sure how to solve table and so on yet. But my main thing is a more or less fixed bed so it's quick and easy to go to sleep.
I'll get the van in about two weeks and then the real planning starts. 😀

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Sounds like a nice buildout. What year is your crafter and what engine does it come with? High or low roof?

Your layout sounds like it will be fairly unique. I'm looking forward to see what you come up with.

krl81

Adventurer
It's a 2010 with a 2.5 liters. 136 HP. High roof. I had that little list of wishes (or have to haves) high roof was the first one. :) And it has cruise control + limiter, ac, hillholder (brakes hold themself for a while after letting go when starting uphill), spring seat, diesel heater plus one more in the back. It also comes with new summer tires and ok studded winter tires. Might have forgotten something. Pics to come as soon as I have it. :)

vwhammer

Adventurer
I thoughgt I just saw something saying that vw was thinking about bringing the crafter to the US.
As a VW guy I am interested to see where that goes.
Also interested in your build.
The euro stuff always seems so much more efficient in design in my opinion.

krl81

Adventurer
I have a question to you guys about windows... How much more effective are the Dometic Seitz ones compared to say boat windows/portlights?
I'm thinking of the double glasing, is it worth to double the money an get a DS?
The DS gives you blinds and insect mesh but the insect mesh are on the boat ones as well.
I'm not planning on camping in under freezing temperatures but you never know. If any of you have any input on this I would be happy. If I would go for boat ones I could always make thick blinds that would double as insulation as well. Good or bad idea?
I'll have a look in the general forum as well to see if this has already been covered. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl