WeldTec not doing any more 4x4 conversions?

hansu

I heard WeldTec is no longer doing 4x4 conversions. Looking around on this forum I didn't see any previous discussions on the topic. Anybody know why they've stopped?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I think they stopped doing them on Fords because the TTB components they were using got hard/impossible to source.

They still list conversions for Chevy's on their site, but if they've stopped doing those too, I don't know the reason.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Don't kid yourself.

The Sprinter/Transit van market is small and saturated also with lot's of van converters who have decided to get into this market and a few of which have already gone broke.

The fact that you can order these vans new with 4WD/AWD from the manufacturer makes it much easier to enter that market for light off-road suspension parts and interior conversions.

The BIG problem is there are only so many folks with $100K+ to spend that want an off-road van and there are now already lot's of choices of van conversion companies to choose from.

hansu

I think they are focusing on the van life market. Might be more profitable than the pickup truck market. Anyway they are still in business just doing something else. I'd guess the Sprinter, Transit market is huge with few players.... the 4WD pickup market is saturated and not growing.

I could be wrong -- I've only followed them for a few years -- but I think they were pretty heavily focused on the Express and E-series until recently. On the YT channel they've definitely been focused on suspension upgrades only and specifically for > Class C.

toddz69

Explorer
Similar situation with Agile - they're doing very few, if any, TTB 4x4 van conversions anymore either. Unfortunately those vans, and the parts to convert them, are aging out.

Todd Z.

Agile does have one really cool thing they so: I ordered a standard Starlink antenna with the other standard items, and had it delivered to them. They cut the antenna out of the mount, install it into 1.5” thick weatherproof panel 22x13.6” that looks like small white solar panel. Wifi transmitter and power converter 12v to 48v inside.
Install on roof, deliver 12v through small gland penetration, also Ethernet cable into camper if desired.
Starlink factory flat mount requires turning on inverter and then through converter to 48v, more expensive.

hansu

I'm sort of surprised how little is out there for the Express. I know, relatively speaking, most folks seem to prefer the E-series but, frankly, most of the newer vans, well, I just don't have confidence in them taking much abuse in terms of unibody/ladder nor the the smaller engines and turbos. And the Express is still in production.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
I'm sort of surprised how little is out there for the Express. I know, relatively speaking, most folks seem to prefer the E-series but, frankly, most of the newer vans, well, I just don't have confidence in them taking much abuse in terms of unibody/ladder nor the the smaller engines and turbos. And the Express is still in production.

And there is only the same 1 body style made for years.

About the only new Express vans you see on the road today are the few fleet, plumbers or electricians that still purchase this vastly outdated model of van.

I oughta know. I have one!

Attachments

• 20210904_063414.jpg
    20210904_063414.jpg
    763.7 KB · Views: 16

bigsam

If you know of anyone looking for a Weldtec Chevy Express 4x4 conversion, mine is for sale:

Reactions: zip

b. rock

Don't they still sell the kits? If so, you could just get someone to install it then. Or find a Quigley van and get their upgrade kit.

From what I remember of their kit, it was a lot of heim joints. Which didn't seem like a great idea for a daily driver or even long haul vehicle. Otherwise it looked great.

FWIW Timberline is supposedly moving in this same direction, going to parts only. They still have their van kits too though.

hansu

When I talked to WeldTec they didn't mention being able to offer the parts kits for 4WD. Thanks for the heads up on Timberline. I had sort of mentally rotated to them but if I really do want 4WD I guess I need to get on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach