What tire width?

Bobthebuilder

I posted this on Ih8ud as well but want to see what the consensus is here. I'm picking up a 93 fj80 that I figure will spend 80% on paved/gravel roads and 20% offroad. I live on the East Coast so there isn't any sand to play in on a regular basis. The truck will be a daily driver that gets rotated btwn 2 other cars so wet, as well as slush/ice performance is important. My hope (build plan) is more expedition than hardcore mud boggin' wheeler. I've decided on height, my biggest question now is width. What are the benefits of running a skinny tire vs a wider tire? Vice versa? I guess weight is also something I should take into consideration

255/85r16
Cooper s/t
Toyo m-55
Trailcutter R/T

285/75r16
GY Duratrac
Cooper Discover AT-3
Falken High Country

I know this is a worn out subject but I really don't want to spend $1000 and end up w/ something that is lousy.

Kaisen

Explorer
The 255/85-16 Cooper ST is a D load tire, weighs 48 lbs, is 33.2" tall, and is 7.2" wide at the tread
The 285/75-16 Cooper ST is a D load tire, weighs 56 lbs, is 32.8" tall, and is 9.2" wide at the tread
The 285/75-16 Cooper AT3 is a E load tire, weighs 55 lbs, is 32.6" tall, and is 8.9" wide at the tread
The 285/75-16 GY Duratrac is a E load tire, weighs 55 lbs, is 33.1" tall, and is 9.3" wide at the tread

Just showing that not all tires of the same brand or same size are created equal. Do your homework and decide for yourself what metric is important to you.

Bobthebuilder

Thanks for the specs. This is my first time w/ a heavier truck and I was concerned that a tall narrow tire might handle squirrely on paved surfaces.

coax

Adventurer
Well, I'll start out by saying I don't think you'll end up with something lousy based solely on tire width. Lots of folks run either size and have had good luck. The make/model of the tire will make a lot of difference though.

Personally if I'm driving on non-deformable snow (ice/firm packed snow) I prefer a wider tire. I would suspect a narrower tire may do better in the rain and would track a bit better on the road (not grabbing irregularities)??? All said and done you are either going .4 inches wider than stock or .8 inches narrower than stock, so not a drastic change.

a.mus.ed

Explorer
FWIW: I ran 285's for the last five years, and kinda hated the way they looked on the truck - tires too small for the wheel wells. Looks aren't everything, of course. I just moved up to 315 Yoko Geolanders and I'm very happy.

mattafact

Adventurer
I have the Toyo M-55s and I love them. Not too loud, great traction in snow, dirt, rocks, etc. About as durable as a tire gets. Not cheap though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl